Wanted to buy and offers - Get real or Get out!

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by malachii, Oct 10, 2014.

1. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how well this will be received on here but it's been buzzing around my brain for a while now.

I understand that everyone wants a bargain. No one wants to pay a premium for what they are purchasing - however some of the WTBs on here at the moment are getting ridiculous. It's all well and good advertising for these things and maybe you'll pick something up (although I doubt it). But it actually costs you a lot in the long run and I'll try to expain why:

1 - People will treat you the same way when you come to sell or buy other things. When you want/need to sell you'll find that you wont be able to sell at the price you want because everyone will only want to pay bottom dollar for your item. There are some people who I know several of us wont deal with no matter what price because it is too much hassle.

2 - You'll miss out. If you honestly believe this is the time to buy and you muck around hoping to get that item $1 cheaper - you'll find the price will move up and you miss out on all the gains you anticipated at the cost of saving $1.

3 - More and more people are moving their sales elsewhere. I know having discussed with a few of the dealers and larger sellers that they are selling their items other places because they are sick of wasting time with low ball offers. We all start missing out then because the quality of items offered for sale rapidly starts going down hill. At a meeting recently I was asked why a lot of my stuff is not sold on SS and the people were shocked when I said some of my stuff goes out via ebay. "Why would you use ebay with the charges they have" was the next obvious question - to which I honestly replied that I don't mind paying charges of about 13.5% (approx ebay and paypal charge) when I can get between 20-50% more for each item and sell it without the hassle of low ball and unrealistic offers.

I'm not saying you need to buy at the asking price. What I'm suggesting is that you have some idea of a fair price and you pitch your wtb and offers at that price. That way you'll find that you get what you want at a reasonable price and you'll find that you get first bite at future items at the best prices before anyone else gets a chance.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen things offered at reasonable prices (by me and others), had so many low ball offers that it gets ridiculous, had people get cranky because they don't get a response to their "I'll give you spot less 40%" offer (one of 10 received in the last hour). A week later when the price of gold or silver has moved up 5% they send you a PM saying that they will "generously take the item at your asking price" and get cranky with you because you say that it's not for sale at that price anymore.

Get real with your expectations or get out!

malachii

2. coffeeluver

coffeeluver Member Silver Stacker

Well said.

3. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, well said.

Wow, I had absolutely no idea, and am obviously showing my lack of time here, but the dealings that go on as described is outrageous.
    That usually doesn't happen in the culture of this country , so very surprised how buyers would expose themselves here on this forum.

Personally, I have relished the trades which I have been lucky to secure over the past, and also the opportunity to know which dealers I have been able to buy from.

Currently, I am still accumulating, and haven't sold anything, so thanks again for the insight.

Every now and then, an inquiry from someone new chimes in, about "spot", or something, and people graciously explain away the issue, plus the tongue in cheek obligatory "roll eyes", :) of course, but 40%, well that just smacks of disrespect.

Cheers all.

4. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

yeah probably the wrong place to be trying it on maybe just set up a stand in the local shopping centre is a better bet for those type deals :lol: or hang out in front cashies and offer 2 % more than they do :rolleyes:

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Lately, I have seen a lot of very marketable coins selling at what appears to be dealer cost levels and they still do not get public bids. Being in the US, paypal fees & shipping costs stop me from bidding on a lot of items, but I am surprised about the lack of interest by ssers. However, I also remember all the negative comments from sellers about getting screwed on ebay.

Possibly when GP and the owners get situated, they can come up with some kind of solution.

6. Eruaran

Eruaran Member

Agree 100% malachii, this is Silver Stackers, not Cash Converters!

7. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is there anything wrong with a seller deciding what they expect (keeping in mind that SStkers is cheaper simpler way to sell, I presume) then adding to the sales offer, "firm", or "buzz only, no offers please", or "price is final, no offers will get a response"?

8. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buzz

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

Agree 100% with malachii.

If someone asks a certain price (and doesn't specify offers) then it is just plain rude to make an offer especially a low ball one. I get really pissed off with some buyers (and some sellers) who have no manners and forget that the transaction should satisfy both parties and not leave a sour taste on either side.

There is no doubt the 'tone' of the sales thread has deteriorated over the last six months or so and I don't 'blame' the spot price for that. Hustlers should stick to eBay or Cash Converters and stay away from here.

11. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

It's an interesting topic.

Regardless of whether it pisses people off or not, lowball offers and WTB threads at spot or below are a legitimate part of any free market and if not welcomed have to be tolerated. Furthermore I've seen many a post here bragging about lowball wins in other market places, eBay, Harvey Norman etc.

Unless the owners of this forum specifically ban any trades that do not have a premium (which they are fully entitled to do, it's not a free world when you are on someone else's property), then those who are annoyed should just suck it up and welcome it as proof that there is no price conspiring amongst members to fix the price of goods in an attempt to gain a monopoly or drive other competitors out.

12. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

what if u put reasonable offer and u still receive low ball offer? :/ as a seller u need to know how to deal with anything comes at u. being cranky and picking up their style wont help u ;)

13. Miksture

Miksture Active Member Silver Stacker

If you dont like the lowball offer make a counter offer. If you are a trader and doing business then any contact is a potential sale. A lowball offer may in fact not be the best offer they will take. Haggling is not demeaning or insulting. ignoring customers IS insulting.

14. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Some people just don't get it!
    Paying spot is already a lowball offer; any less an it gets really insulting.
    Been trading on this forum for over 5 years; never offered less than the spot price when I buy gold; never will!
    Lowballer is not a label any member should be comfortable with or actively seek.

Btw Sydneystackers will be organising a rally at 12.45pm this Wednesday to my favourite gold buyer.
    Anyone interested in getting spot + 5% for their scrap gold, please make an effort to get there.
    I have sold heaps of scrap gold and silver to them for spot + 5% this past month, hassle free.
    Good arbitrage opportunity for Sydney members to trade their 9999 gold for scrap gold and still make some money.

15. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

If a seller put up a price and you pm a lowball offer, you are making an unsolicited offer. It is hypocritical for you to say it is okay for a buyer to make an unsolicited offer, but it is insulting for the seller to not respond to that unsolicited offer. It isn't rude to ignore an unsolicited offer any more than it is to hang up on a telemarketer. If you want stuff at lowball prices, put up your own offer.

16. Holdfast

Ok so today spot is X$

Tomorrow spot is Y$

The following day spot is less than X$

If folk see a down trend in the spot price which has been the case for sometime now and you as the seller are off-loading your metal because you too believe spot is falling then why can't folk ask for a lower price than spot?

Many of the auctions on eBay are not the price the seller wants but folk do sell coins at a loss.

Some folk auction their metal too...just get rid of it but they maybe in the black due to other auctions they've made top dollar on.

All in all, the market is the market and the reality is that folk can ask for a cheaper price if they like.

On occasion sellers are asked if they can have the item cheaper, some are obliging, some are not.

I think the spot price is focussed on too much.

What many folk don't like is a person who makes a very small purchase and then wants the price of a can of coke knocked off the price.

Don't forget ilikecoins has a good price on 10oz 2011 Koala coins. :D

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-56542-wts-10-x-10oz-2011-koala-239ea-w-photo.html

17. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

As much as it pi$$es me off when someone offers less than spot, my preference would be to sell it to a dealer for less than spot than sell to a lowballer. This is because Aurora buys for spot and id rather sell to a genuine guy than some ... I won't say.
    My experience is its hard enough keeping up with price movements and competitive sellers when you only get to check it once a day but when you throw lowballers into the mix... Expect a rude response in my opinion and that is perfectly fine especially when their pm commonly goes like this -

"$XX (lowball offer) for your goods or i walk away"

That was a genuine first up pm with no hi or thanks/regards name inserted. Just straight to the point which is why my response was to F off and if he had of said hi then I might have considered it.

Some of the members here these days are are incredible. Good on you Malachii, this thread was needed to state that pot is the floor. If you want to make a purchase do you haggle with PerthBullion or the mint? A purchase is a gamble and if you think the price is dropping below spot then wait for the seller to lower the price at the risk of another seller getting ahead of you.
    You snooze you lose.

19. Miksture

Miksture Active Member Silver Stacker

If you are insulted by low ball offers then you are taking this all to personally. No offer is about you it is about your goods. You need to realise that the offer is not a comment about you or your integrity. You also have to realise that the offer does come from a human being and human beings do not always do or say things you like. Being a seller, you need to treat people well or you will lose custom.

For example, I an new to silver stacking and still finding my legs. I have made 5 trades here and made offers on a number more. No one has left me feedback which is pretty unnerving. One trade with a high feedback person has seen the items not delivered within a week of my payment even though the seller is in my city. I made a pm offer to a seller at a price I felt was reasonable and even stated i the offer why I thought it was reasonable. I would have paid a bit more but I wanted to see what the seller would come back with.

Instead the seller just accepted another pm offer without responding to any of my pm's at a price less than what I would have accepted. That sellers rudeness cost him money and cost him my custom forever. Not very smart. All of you who do not reply to your "so-called" lowball offers and are so arrogant as to feel insulted by them are rude and not worthy of trading with all but the most hardened people.

Seriously, wake up and stop being so narrow minded.

PS: not my offer was not below spot.

20. Holdfast