The Gubmint owns your gold

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Yippe-Ki-Ya, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Mud Gecko

Mud Gecko Active Member Silver Stacker

You only say that because "eastern staters" will be on the losers end of the deal....

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Getting warm up there yet dude?

^^^
    was a serious question (sorry to derail thread :) )

Any talk of succession (like changes to Daylight savings) is folly and always a political move to distract the current debate and has never amounted to anything.

3. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Well, it's interesting.

More and more I am thinking in terms of what the market wants more than say what you or I or any theorists may think is a good idea.

And I think what the market wants first and foremost is a global currency which at least has some degree of stability.

It's interesting to look at the history of global reserve currencies. The US dollar has been the reserve currency since roughly 1945 with the British pound being the reserve currency before that and going further back I don't know much more at this point.

But the majority of the history of the US being the reserve currency it has not been attached to gold. So does the market really care about Gold? What is the market really looking for?

And it seems to me, that for a country to be a reserve currency it needs to pretty much dominate the world market. ie, British Empire, America after WW2. Could that be the reason behind much of the imperialism we see from America?

So the conclusion I draw from that is, that if you are going to have a national currency (or regional or international) it doesn't need to be backed by Gold. And if you have a currency backed by Gold, why does it need to be a national currency? In fact I would say that it is not specifically a Gold backed currency that the world is looking for, but an international currency. And we have arrived at the point where it can't be supplied politically. There's a reason behind all the papers and discussions regarding regional and global currencies. Academics have foreseen this eventuality and so many have been pushing for the world government idea, the New World Order if you will, with politicians getting in on the action seeing a chance for more power. But it's dead in the water. Fortunately, because I think it would have been a horrible idea.

The market is now searching out other solutions but of course you have this problem of the entrenched interests not wanting a market solution because it takes away their power and much of their reason for being. What an awful thing to think that we don't really need all these international institutions. Shock, horror!! So you get the usually political fear-mongering from people afraid they will lose their positions of privilege.

Where will it end? I don't know. But the world will look very different, because it has to. The world has changed and the old ways have become irrelevant. Something truly disruptive will need to come along at some point, and I believe it will, there is so much ingenuity in the world that I can't imagine it won't. But yes, in all periods like this there are winners and losers. The worst war in history marked the last transition. I don't think it will be that bad this time, but it's unreasonable to think that there won't be significant pain for many people. It always happens when change is resisted.

4. Mud Gecko

Mud Gecko Active Member Silver Stacker

Hot and sticky like always :)

5. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hawkeye - on that cheery note, I think I'll go start organising my survivalist retreat. I guess I'll have to start taking solace that the end game may pop up eventually within my lifetime and will just need to live through the death throes. Well, I better go back to the "awakening" thread to read up on those 7 stages ;)

6. hawkeye

When I say significant pain, I mean more along the lines of say what is happening in Europe, or say all the people in America who lost much in the last bubble, or indeed what is still waiting ahead for Australia. Call me an optimist, but I think a major war won't happen, although there will (and are) pockets where there will be fighting. I don't think most of the first world countries are interested in invading each other.

And, personally, I'm not a survivalist but I never think it hurts to have backup.

7. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

" Call me an optimist, but I think a major war won't happen, although there will (and are) pockets where there will be fighting. I don't think most of the first world countries are interested in invading each other."

AGREE 100%.

The only proviso to that is if Tel Aviv gets a nuke, Islam will be back in the 7th century inside a week.

8. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tel Aviv already has nukes.................

9. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think he meant receives a "little boy" or a "fat man" as a present from a "neighbour".

10. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

Nothing more than it is now, it would simply be a mining boom, not gold by proxy

Easy to answer that, you will need a larger tub of vaseline

11. Old Codger

Does anyone have any idea or estimate on just how much (Physical) G & S is actually held by Australians?

12. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ahhh, well then that's fantasyland that the US/Israel bullshit factory has dreamed up. The same bullshit factory that sold the "Iraq has weapons of mass destruction " bullshit and the "Libya is a threat to the world" bullshit, and now also selling the "Syria is a threat to the world" bullshit. Oh, and don't forget the "China is a threat to the world" bullshit as well. :| Only the mushrooms amongst us feed well off all that bullshit. Anyone want to volunteer their status as mushrooms by feeding (believing) all this bullshit?

13. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

Even to assume that the US is significantly UNDER reporting their gold stores like China is doing right now, the USA would never want a gold standard under the current political establishment. Even with 20,000 ton they would run out so fast with current spending habits it isnt funny The big advantage under a gold standard (as it should always be) is to those countries that are the most productive. Export more in gold value than you import and the gold flows in, if not the gold flows out. As would inflation and deflation the same in a self leveling mechanism that wouldn't require the central bank to touch interest rates ever.....

14. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting thread and thoughts, just wondering what peoples perceptions are of who really is in control. There is much reference to Gubmint etc but in reality (in my opinion anyway) the Gubmint are mere patsy's for the puppet masters behind the scenes. Bretton Woods, Bilderberg, the UN, George Soros and crony's etc etc, Is the Gubmint really in control of a currency anymore and do they have any control given the institution of privately owned Reserve banks worldwide ?

15. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Finally !!!!! someone posts the reality of it all :cool:

16. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

The metal in the Perth Mint is owned/owed to our clients. If the Feds came around and said they wanted to confiscate it, they would really just be confiscating title to the metal from our clients, they couldn't actually physically take it because then the Mint would be empty and we wouldn't be able to refine and make bars out of the metal coming from the mines. To run any factory you need a float or working stock in the business. So the gold would just stay at the Mint, just the owners of it would change.

I suppose they could take the $500m of allocated and maybe we wouldn't need as much working stock, but again we are talking piddly amounts here compared to the flow out of the mines.

17. Old Codger

"The metal in the Perth Mint is owned/owed to our clients."

This goes a long way to answering my#93.

I presume that The Perth Mint would be by far the largest 'retailer' of gold coins and bars, and as such i think i can assume that the gold in 'private' hands would not top OZ$5 billion, as pointed out, a tiny fraction of the 80 tons on hand and the 240+tons available for direct purchase at the mine gate as it were.

Hardly worth bothering about gold confiscation, and much less SILVER confiscation.

I am also pleased to see that confiscation of the gold at the Perth Mint is not going to trigger secession of that state, a threat brandished regularly for 112 years. The first 60 of which WA sucked mightily on the eastern staters teat!

Praise be to Mr Lang Hancock!

18. hawkeye

Are you claiming that the current denizens of WA owe some debt to the denizens of the Eastern States because some of the ancestors of some of the Eastern States denizens gave some money to the ancestors of some of the people currently living in WA? Just asking...