Sphene - The Green Russian Stuff.. Hardcore Rare!

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by 1for1, Sep 23, 2012.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

See some nice Sphene Specimens from Mother Russia!

All Natural and Unheated!

A 3.74 CT Lime Yellow Oval Full Fire Natural Untreated Oval

[​IMG]

B 2.74 CT Lime Yellow Oval Full Fire Nice Shape Natural Unheated

[​IMG]

C 1.87 Full Fire Oval Yellow Green Natural Unheated

[​IMG]

D 1.16 CT Green with Sparkle Africa Oval Natural Untreated Si-I

[​IMG]

E .90 Rainbow Spark Oval Unheated Natural

[​IMG]

F .68 CT Green to Yellow with Sparkle Si Africa Natural Untreated

[​IMG]

2. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hardcore rare....so they're not Russian diamonds then. :D

3. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorry, but that's a bloody ugly looking gemstone. A poor quality peridot would look better.

4. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

Well said..
    Who knows how to value these gems?They are ,after all from the stars :)

I have been reading a bit :)

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Dont agree they are ugly at all.. love the rainbow stuff especially.. Do agree Peridot is better especially considering how much better grade Peridot you would get for the same fiat.. Peridot dosent quite have the same character but on a 1d level id probably agree.

1for1

6. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

in the flesh would make a dif

7. lucky luke

Hey, just because I think that particular stone that you put up is ugly, that isn't a reflection on you (your looks or otherwise). :lol:

re: peridot. I think they are an ugly stone in terms of colour as well irrespective of the size of the stone. If I was to take my pick of the semi-precious stones, I'd say Tourmaline (Rubelite especially) and tsavorite garnet.

every-one for their own.

8. lucky luke

Serious question.......... what is nice about them? Colour? Transparency? size? quality of faceting? ???

9. lucky luke

I know NOTHING about diamonds. Colour, transparency, size and quality of faceting are what I think foremost when thinking about ANY facetable gemstone (and I've cut one or two stones in my spare time).

In terms of rarity, I guess that's what drives the price of rocking horse shit. Hate to say it though, were I to stumble upon some, I'm pretty sure it would still be shit. Valuable perhaps. Beautiful my a#rse. ;)

10. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

You Remind me of Percy:

Lord Percy Percy: I've done it, my Lord! I've discovered how to turn things into gold! Pure gold!
    Blackadder: You have? Show me!
    Lord Percy Percy: [takes lid off melting pot, and Baldrick, Percy and Blackadder are bathed in a green glow] Behold!
    Blackadder: Percy... it's green.
    Lord Percy Percy: Yes, my Lord!
    Blackadder: Now, look, Percy, I don't mean to be pedantic or anything, but the color of gold... is gold. That's why it's called gold. What YOU have discovered, if it has a name, is some... Green.
    Lord Percy Percy: [removes lump of Green from pot] Oh, Edmund... can it be true? That I hold here, in my mortal hand, a nugget of purest Green?
    Lord Percy Percy: Yes indeed, Percy, except that it's not really a nugget but more of a splat.
    Blackadder: Yes, my Lord. A splat today, but tomorrow, who knows, or dares to dream...

Hi, actually demand is the dependant variable for price, no demand = no value, so you might not get alot for your rocking horse shit im afriad.

Id see your point if this were jewellery.. not sure what motiviates you but Sphene is very interesting, it has a lot of unique properties and no gem collection would be complete without it, i appreciate all plants and animals... and not because i want to wear them or they look good. Somethings can look good but be boring, not too sure why your so negative about a gemstone but it seems rather irrational for a inanimate object that cant hate you back. I guess i should be thankful people think 1d in terms of beauty only.. otherwise i would never of been able to afford these.

Conversion Propaganda:

Sphene is a brilliant transparent yellowish-green or green gemstone with a high luster and pronounced fire. Its name comes from the word sphen meaning wedge shaped, as it normally occurs in wedge shaped crystals. Although sphene is rather soft, it is always cut as a facetted stone, which suits its lively appearance, rather than a cabochon, which is more normal for stones softer than 7 on Moh's scale.

Sphene is named from the greek word for wedge, because of its typical wedge shaped crystal it forms.

Sphene is an unusual gemstone that until a very few years ago was virtually unknown to most jewelry consumers. However, recent finds in Brazil and the Far East have brought more and more of the material to the market which has resulted in an increased awareness of this gemstone.

So what color is it?

Well, that's kind of hard to say. But not as hard trying to photograph all of these colors. Sphene has a rather unusual ability to take a beam of light and break it into all of the spectral colors. So that it will change color depending which angle you are looking at it. Basically it is green or yellow with flashes of other colors like red or orange.

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS:

Color is green, yellow, white, brown or black.
    Luster is adamantine.
    Transparency: Crystals are transparent to translucent.
    Crystal System: Monoclinic; 2/m
    Crystal Habits include elongated wedges that form tabular or platy crystals. Some crystals are not so elongated and can have a trigonal appearance similar to a flattened rhombohedron. Twinning is common and produces a twin that is shaped like a deflatted, caved-in football, only with flatter surfaces.
    Cleavage is indistinct in two directions
    Fracture is conchoidal
    Hardness is 5 - 5.5
    Specific Gravity is 3.3 - 3.6

11. steve.rsa

steve.rsa Member Silver Stacker

Perhaps Russian sourced Sphene is rare, it is not, however rare as a mineral and is found in many locations.

The trichroism - showing of three colours can be seen in this stone.

[​IMG]

12. lucky luke

I remind you of Percy? :lol: Good one. Not sure of your logic though. Or if that was just an weak attempt at insult. As I said earlier, just because I don't like THAT particular gemstone, it wasn't indicative of what I thought about you. Personally, I think I'm more of a flashheart than a Percy. But thats only IMHO

What motivates me? Nice genuine gemstones. Quite simple.

Why so negative about a gemstone? I'd ask why you take my opinion so personally. All I did was state that it was ugly. Not sure why people post threads if they only expect praise/pats on the back then get all defensive when they get a dissenting view. And where you get the idea about "rather irrational for a inanimate object that cant hate you back", LOL Mate, where did irrational and hate come from? Again, your getting mighty personal and taking this to extremes. It's simply an ugly gemstone IMHO and its value (as you suggest it's valuable) is inflated out of proportion IMHO. Hate has nothing to do with it. Rational has everything to do with it.

As for what Sphene is, I can use google as well as yourself so no need to do a cut and paste.

Of note, with a hardness of only 5-5.5, it's value in terms of use for wearable jewellery is a little limited. One wouldn't use it on a ring. Likely ear-rings or necklace pendants. (and I didn't need to use google for that)

13. Mud Gecko

Mud Gecko Active Member Silver Stacker

Way to crap on 1for1's thread..... :rolleyes:

I like the first one and the third one, nice bright green :cool:

14. lucky luke

intelligent response? :)

If threads are started merely for lots of mutual backslapping or to illicit "oooohhhs" and "aaahhhhhs", then feel free to join the lemmings mate.

IF it was a sales thread, then I'd leave it alone. As it is NOT (or not obvious) a sales thread, then I'll comment.

15. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Bro... i didnt take any offence.. just dont think your offering anything to the thread by saying they are ugly.. you are entitled to your subjective opinion but not sure why others are that interested. when they have eyes and are capable of being critical if there eyes dont like what they see. I get you think its ugly and i may agree with you but i was posting these to show people these gems and that there arent just daimonds, rubys, sapphires and emerlads. To get more info out there and maybe convert some stackers to buy a few gems.. unsure what you were doing.

RE: i meant you reminded me of that passage of Blackadder rather than a particular character as it was rubbishing a stone as it was green.. not sarcastic.. just on topic.

1for1

16. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I personally really appreciate these threads, if your not into jewelry probably best avoid the jewelry sub forum. Thanks for the pics 1for1

17. Eureka Moments

+1for1for1.

18. lucky luke

Hi thatguy. If your referring to me not being into jewelry, then your dead wrong. It's BECAUSE I'm in to jewelry, particularly faceted gemstones, that I have an opinion and am on this jewelry sub forum. Be damned if (1) I avoid it and (2) stop offering an opinion (whether on this thread or any other).

19. lucky luke

I was giving an opinion that the pictures of the Sphene cut stones you posted were of an ugly stone both in terms of cutting, clarity, colour and transparency. What are you doing? Trying to sell them? If so, put a price on them, put them in the sales section and then I'll leave them alone in terms of criticising them. I might still have some questions of you though.

Just had a look again at the pictures you posted in this thread to be sure I wasn't putting pride before judgement. Nope. Those are still very ordinary examples of the gemstone "Sphene".

20. Eureka Moments

Some people are complete twats but dont realise it.

Just my opinion.