Sphene - The Green Russian Stuff.. Hardcore Rare!

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by 1for1, Sep 23, 2012.

1. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Can be said about most things... show me something you have and i'll show you a better one owned by someone richer then you are

2. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The mob mentality is a pleasure to behold. Just surprising who ends up in the mob sometimes. Often those who obviously don't have any insight!
    Remember that the next time you try your "individual" approach mate.

Threads like this are excellent for sorting out the wheat from the chafe

3. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Interesting thread here , I have to weigh in , . I dont know alot about Sphene but several years ago (maybe 6-8) there was a large amount on the market , what really caught my eye was the rainbow brilliance ( I am sure there is a more technical term Is it "tricroisism"?)not sure but the refractive index on some of it is much more than diamond giving it a very surreal color play on some stones. Really some of the coolest stones I have seen , this is one you have to see in person in the light, the only thing that turned me off was that they are relatively soft stones making them somewhat impractical for everyday jewelry use. The first one you posted is a very unique color green I dont remember seeing any like that , I also believe the picture by Steve RSA is a digital render through Vray or something like it , not a real stone but it gives a good idea of the possibilities of the stone ( I could be wrong).
    Everyone has there own interpretation on what stones they like , beauty is in the eye..
    Thanks for posting these ....

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

LOL... if i wanted to sell them i might try that.. thanks for the heads up although you are barking up the wrong tree. All images i have uploaded i have been requested to do so, im sorry it dosent appeal to your tastes but other forum memebers should also be considered, i dont think youa re the only SS member.

I like your autonomy and appreciate your subjectivity but dont see what your issue your trying to push... this is a gem section and i have taken images of some sphene and posted it, other than you incorrectly summising my motives for taking the time to do so i dont think you are adding any value to the thread other than to repeat you do not like THESE SPHENE (or any) I CANT WORK OUT, You started off saying Sphene was ugly, now it appears to be isolated to the sphene i uploaded images of..

Maybe your a closet Sphene hoarder? Upset i have let the cat out of the bag... if this is not you motivation i suggest you get some hobbies dude.

1for1

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I thought I was on the RE thread for a moment back there.

When you say natural and unheated does that mean you can heat treat them to make them better?

Is heat treating noticable? I remember reading about something called pea gravel that used to be used to line driveways until they found it could be heated up to make saphires or some such. It was undetectable so people decided to accept them.

Or something like that anyway.

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, yes that is correct.. there are a few different methods, its basically cheating.. can add more colour and make the gem appear a better grade.. lots and lots of gemstones have been tampered with, heated, coloured, chatham diffusion etc..

I try to only stick with Included untreated gems.. may not look as nice but i know im dealing with a real gem. IF type Gems to me are VERY VERY boring as they are basically like crystal in my opinion, the imperfections make the stone to me.

cheers,

1for1

7. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I dont think most Sphene has been treated but I could be wrong , I dont know much about its qualities, I dont think the ones you posted were treated.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Cheers, that is why I have avoided even looking in this area for investment, too much knowledge to learn before making a purchase, another rigged market (deBeers!) and apparently there is a machine that can grow diamonds, so nothing is safe!

(though I did want to buy a diamond making machine but eBay has nothing!)

9. steve.rsa

steve.rsa Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, that one is over the top, they are generally more one colour or the other.

Majority olive, red flash
    [​IMG]

assorted
    [​IMG]

10. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

11. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Hey JL , yeah Debeers is just diamonds , and some other stones like emeralds and Saphires come a little close (tiny bit) but if you have ever dealt with third world gem miners , they would love to "rig " the market but , not even close to the big boys, even scary at times youd better be packing heat!

12. steve.rsa

steve.rsa Member Silver Stacker

I like C and F, and any gems with a bit of history...

Whilst valuable, diamonds are bleh! on the looks front.

13. lucky luke

1. still ugly examples of sphene
    2. other ss members are considered but that doesn't mean I have to like, agree or run with the crowd. They are still ugly stones in my opinion irrespective whether you garner 99 other people who think they are nice.
    3. thank-you for liking my autonomy and appreciating my subjectivity.
    4. If your not selling these stones, then you shouldn't mind some two sided opinions ie like and dislike, within the thread. Some of the puppies nipping at your heals would have one believe that only "like" opinions are tolerated on the thread you started.
    4. The value I add to the thread is to some balance. If some-one were to post pictures of panda's that were worn or scratched, and the majority of posts said "wow, great panda's", I'd still point out that they were worn and scratched.
    5. I started the thread by indicating that the examples of sphene which you posted were ugly. That has been my consistant view through-out. Nothing has morphed.
    6. No I am not a closet Sphene hoarder so "dude", no need for me to get any other hobbies. If your a budding "gemologist" though, perhaps you might think to take a little of your own advice though if your going to get personal.
    7. I started with a simple comment about these stones being ugly. IF you or any-others posting on this thread are so thin skinned as to want to (as has already occurred) make it personal, be my guest.

:rolleyes:

14. lucky luke

Heat treating is more common than one would believe. And it's not restricted to overseas either. For example, it's a common practice when removing "silk" from Sapphires in Australia.

15. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

No problem with you stating your opinion... feel free. I guess saying something is ugly on this forum is very common so good on you for your opinion, i would never want to censor anyone

Just so you know i am not trying to PUMP UP sphene and i wont get offended as its not a stone i have any strong feelings towards.. more of a novelty educational thread...

I happily critique others investment strategies so would be a total hypocrite if i could not tolerate someone saying something about a couple of inexpensive stones i own.

1for1

16. lucky luke

Thank you. Now perhaps some of those "puppies" nipping at your heels and wanting to run with your pack might learn something. I doubt it though.

17. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Yes i must admit i would prefer a more open buy/sell thread but think most SS are quite autonomous and capable of decsion making.. Newbs always tend to blindly follow the leader, i think the more the govt grows the less likley people will be to grow up as a critical thinkers and dependant of others when making decisions... this is the right place to learn to have your own ideas and to be able to defend them... thanks for the practice... and for the reminder ... its actually a good thing people can have conflicting ideas and its NOT a bad thing.

cheers,

1for1

18. lucky luke

Actually I had two others in mind on this thread as "puppies" for their clearly personal insulting manner, and not yourself. But seeing a you want to join them (or feel guilty enough to join them), be my guest. Birds of a feather flock together or so the saying goes. Birds, dogs, your boyfriend, looks like we have a real menagerie. If you want to make it personal, sure, I'll play your game though I thought a little better of you than that.

19. lucky luke

Do you want to write that in English? I understand you're trying to be funny, but at least try to write your attempts at comedy in a manner that's understandable.

20. lucky luke

That's got nothing to do with your one finger typing mate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]