So where are all the modern China medals finding homes?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Gatito Bandito, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Seems like mainly China, Singapore, US & Europe, with a handful in Canada?

Other countries / other parts of the world?

Hitting the shores of Australia, at all?

2. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I comment base on my sold transactions

Australia not many.

Malaysia has slight bigger market than Singapore.

Hong Kong also okay.

3. Beyond

Beyond Well-Known Member

never sold to in australia within 3years

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Andrew would probably have a good idea about that. I feel very fortunate that I can still find some key modern Chinese medals at relatively decent price....considering the high quality and low mintages.

5. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

The Aussies are stuck in a box with their Perth Mint products, and those beautiful Olympus series....ick. :D

6. TasAg

TasAg Active Member

No, not really, we just collect these medals without making a noise about it .

7. mmissinglink

This forum, just a couple or so years ago, seemed to have a lot of posting activity with a number of members discussing Chinese medals. I never bothered to look where the members were from (because A: it doesn't really matter much to me where from and B: anyone can claim they are from anywhere anyway) but I can only assume that a few may have been Aussies.

Some Aussies can have good taste too. :)

8. barsenault

lol. But it's the noise that gets people interested. You stay silent. I'll make the noise. :D:lol::cool:

9. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Yup. And they posted many interesting pictures. Good luck with finding smth on feeBay. :) :/

10. Gatito Bandito

Heh, figured some were out there.

And can't say I don't blame you -- on both points.

Admittedly, I keep hush-hush about certain things. For selfish reasons. :p

It's also the noise that "helps" to increase demand, decrease availability & ultimately, jack up the prices.. :(

But yeah, from historical searches on these, I remember reading some threads here from a couple years ago or whatever where there were quite a few participants. Guessing a bunch were Aussies. Everybody going nuts over the Putuo when it first came out, for example.

Wonder what happened to them. Extended bear market shook them out?

11. mmissinglink

^ That or they have a short attention span or they have simply kept buying Chinese medals while remaining low and off the radar. My first guess would be the same as yours though...the extended consolidated market has made them too nervous.

When the market is in hurt mode, it's usually the best time to be a buyer. There are some great bargains out there.

12. Gatito Bandito

13. mmissinglink

The Perth Mint 'Globs of Limp-puss' medals are hideously pathetic...and that's putting it nicely.

I feel sorry for the suckers who paid money for that PM crap.

Don't get me wrong....the PM has produced some high quality coins....but their medals are a complete and utter joke.

14. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't see them come up for sale very often over here, we only have 23 million people in the whole country. In Qld we have something like half the population of London.

It probably doesn't pay for dealers to have a wide range of stock. So they only sell what they know is popular and won't take risks on trying anything new. My local coin shop closed down, couldn't afford the rent or the wages.

I like the idea of the Chinese versions you guys have shown, and I always look at the threads, but nothing has made me want to join in! The quality is perfect, the technique is amazing but the subject matter just leaves me a bit flat, the Great Wall of China was nice. I am also not interested in Chinese Lunar Years, Kangaroos, Koalas or Greek Gods so most of the PM and RAM stuff gets ignored by me as well.

15. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The cost of bringing the china coins and medal are high. They need to be tax at Australia as numics. The price of china coins and medal up and down daily/ They have electronics platform for trade in big quantity for coins, stamp and card. The electronics platform will be set up for china medal soon.

For information, some dealers only do trading in platform and resell to others instead of selling pieces by pieces to end customer/collectors.

The business model in china is totally diff with Australia. China dealers will pump more capital for numics. The demand is high due to the population and culture.

Many Chinese in China will buy silver and gold coin/medal for gift during festive and business talk.

In fact, majority of the china medals and coins always comes with storyline and background. However, I am not able to translate it into English. Frank Wong in another forum did it well for the translation and so on.

16. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We should start manufacturing fake Chinese medals in Australia :p

17. mmissinglink

Did the LCS close down recently? Was that LCS just a poorly run business or is this sort of thing more widespread? Is the reason mainly because sales are instead going to online big dealers or has sentiment toward the physical metals declined recently? I don't buy from a LCS because of sales taxes and cost of and time involved with transportation to the LCS. It is more cost effective to buy online and get free shipping with no sales tax. Besides, I don't want to waste time traveling to a LCS to find out they have a very limited stock. Online it takes just moments to find just about anything that I might want and buy it if I like it. I do feel badly that a local business is closing but I think it's just the way things are these days. I remember years ago when 2 local stamp and coin shops closed up in this area. Also, quite a few local hardware stores closed up in the same decade. I'm sure if I thought about it I will recall that other types of small businesses closed down too because sales are just not keeping them afloat any longer.

There will probably be dark days ahead for some businesses that sell physical pm's and coins in general I suppose. But perhaps there will be a light at the end of that dark tunnel for those businesses that can manage to make it through the darkness with not too much loss. I don't know and certainly I don't wish the end of business for any good LCS.

18. mmissinglink

Best line in this forum in a while! Brilliant! :lol:

19. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

20. barsenault

^^^looks about right. A turd in both cases. hehehe.