Shipping between Oz and US.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by TomD, Nov 9, 2011.

1. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

F2F should be easiest, but you could also list in the North American trading section.

2. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If Australia post prohibits or Australian gov. bans that is a different story

3. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Thanks for the info. Its the same amount to ship from usa to argentina. (what crazy is less than half distance)

4. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I received from people, they will even put "face value" and "nominal value" without the dollar amount.
    medals and medallions may not be a good idea in the future, but still works, it have worked well for the last few years. anything below gst chargeable value is the critical value, buyer must know this.

that is my reason for not insuring my items :)
    important that the "declare item" should not attract theft in the sender post office, and item will not attract curious customs officer to open your item to see what is in there at the receiver end. :)

5. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Thanks a lot for the offer. I need to get a coin to Oz for a friend's benefit. All I have to trade is about 2 extra 2011 Pandas.
    Hey, you remember the Great American Raft Races? My Dad had a condo at Riverbend and threw a big party every year I used to take a few buddies to. That river was crazy, you could walk across it on rafts almost.
    Thanks a lot for the offer to trade. If on the off chance you need a 2011 panda, just PM me.

6. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Yes fishy it's a business account. I ship frequently international and 100% Fedex.
    Domestically I predominately utilize USPS Registered.

To be exact I think your Fedex package was $19.60

Fedex is cheap, fast and I have never had a problem. Most packages to Australia, Malaysia, etc arrive in 3 business days. Majority of packages are shipped for $20 or less.

One issue about insurance is that USPS only insures "Cash, Stock Certificates, Bullion, Numismatics" when shipped within the United States via "REGISTERED MAIL". When these items are shipped USPS Registered you can insure them up to $25,000. Once it leaves the US the insurance on these items drops to $40 regardless of shipping method.

You can insure many other items at the values posted here in this thread but not the four items I listed.

Fedex limits Cash, Bullion, Numismatics insurance to $1,000

Both Fedex & USPS have their pros & cons ... it just depends on what fits best for the parties involved.

One thing really beneficial about USPS is their small "flat rate box", since box is free I usually put all of my numismatic items in one of these for protection then put the USPS box inside a Fedex Express Envelope for speed ... it's a "win win" :D

7. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

The problem with fedex in argentina is they take the tax and give it to the tax administration. But they tax at more tax than others shippers or customs. I use it for australian buys in perth mint.
    When i buy in usa i allways use usps and not pay tax or pay the real tax and not the fedex inflated tax.
    I dont know if fedex make it in Australia. But ask maggie i think she have a lot of problems with fedex. They take tax in bullion. And in Australia bullion dont pay tax.
    The service is better in fedex and fast. But i prefer slow and cheap.

8. comeaux

How bout I send your coins via carrier pigeon ? :D

9. comeaux

Just kidding ... if you want me to send them USPS no worries. I think they should be in my hands Monday then I ship to you :)

10. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This can be very useful refeence :)

11. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

the hawk or eagle carrier are better

:)

You make me smile

12. El Bullion

El Bullion New Member Silver Stacker

I'm about to send some coins to NCS. Just wondering which postal service to use - Pack & Track International or Registered Post International?

NCS uses a P.O. Box, so I'm thinking signatured delivery (which comes with registered post) isn't necessary.

Would appreciate it if someone could share their experience with either service.

Cheers.

13. comeaux

Hello El Bullion

As far as shipping preference I am not familiar with what is best shipping from Australia to the US as I live in the US but what I can tell you is that I would recommend "signature confirmation" when shipping to NCS.

As you mentioned you will not be able to get signature confirmation when shipping to a PO Box but you can get signature confirmation when shipping to their physical address which is:

NCS
    Numismatic Conservation Services
    5501 Communications Parkway
    Sarasota, Florida

Of course it depends on the value of your items, typically when I send a few low value items I do not bother with signature confirmation but if I send a package with high value then I do have it signature confirmed.

It is really just a matter of preference and you may decide against confirmation, your package should be fine either way. I just wanted to give you the physical address in case you may need it.

Good luck ! :)

14. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Adding to what Comeaux said, you may want to keep transit times in mind.

Not sure how Auspost handles registered items, but a registered parcel I just sent to Oz took nearly 1 month to arrive.

What's more, turnaround time for NCS w/ NGC grading is around 24 days (based on my recent submission) + transit time back to you.

Depending on the parcel value, if I were sending to the PO Box, I'd likely opt for a quicker service with tracking. The less time something is traveling I feel like the chances of damage, loss, theft, etc. diminishes.

Cheers.

15. El Bullion

Thanks Comeaux, I really appreciate that. Didn't think they allowed delivery to their premises based on shipping instructions from the NCS website. I'm sending the highest possible value package without getting charged GST and customs duties when the package is sent back to me (which is ridiculous because I already own the coins. Importation laws are strange that way I guess.).

Thanks heyimderrick, I agree with that. I am just trying to minimize shipping costs as I'm not in a hurry to get the coins back, and the individual value of the coins do not merit the additional costs on top of the grading cost. That said, since this is the first time I'm sending coins to NCS, and my first 5 coins will be graded for free, I might just use the express courier service (which includes full tracking and signatured delivery) instead. I can then use registered post on my next submission and send it to the address provided by Comeaux.

16. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

A word of caution, your coupon for 5 free submissions is for NGC services only, not NCS services. Those 5 submissions also have to be made on a separate NGC form than your paid submissions. You can ship multiple submissions/forms together in the same parcel, but only if they are all for either NGC or NCS. You cannot mix NCS and NGC submissions on the same forms or ship in the same parcel as they go to different PO Boxes.

17. comeaux

Yes El Bullion you can definitely ship to their physical address for signature confirmation. I do these quite frequently.

As Derrick mentioned, when shipping high value items it is a good idea to ship them utilizing a method that is expedient as the faster your package moves then the less chance you have of it getting lost, stolen, etc.

If you are planning on shipping with insurance you definitely need to ensure that the shipper covers "bullion & numismatics". Like I stated in a previous post, USPS registered is the only service in the US that insures numismatic items up to $25,000 and it only applies domestically however Fedex covers these items up to $1,000. I'm not familiar with the shippers in Australia but you may want to check this.

As was conveyed in the previous post, you can ship multiple orders in one package. I'm not aware that your five free NGC grading tickets have to be put on a separate submission form, I don't see why for example if you submit 10 coins on one submission form that you couldn't also just send in your free tickets with that submission and only get charged for five coins?

You can call NGC at 800-642-2646 and ask any questions you may have before shipping. Usually Becky or Sarah answers the phone and both of these ladies are amiable and helpful.

18. El Bullion

You're right!!! What a bummer. I just checked out my coupon, which arrived along with my membership documents, and it does say that the coupon is only valid for certain NGC submission types (which I guess pretty much excludes NCS-NGC submissions). Pays to read the fine print obviously.

Thanks for pointing that out.

19. El Bullion

Yeah, the only issue is that NCS will use the declared value of the coins when shipping them back to me, so if I include too many coins in one package/submission, it will be slapped with GST and customs duties upon entering Australia. The $1,000 limit for GST-free importation is very easily reached with modern chinese coins. I envy the fact that you don't have to worry about this as the grading companies are local to you.

The coupon states that it is for "Five Free Early Bird, Standard World, or Ancient Standard Submissions". However, I will be using NCS' "Modern Tier", which includes both NCS conservation and NGC grading. The NGC grading component will likely use NGC's World Modern service (cheaper than the Standard World service).

Now I know why some people choose NGC's Associate Membership option over Premium Membership...the coupon that comes with Premium Membership doesn't really apply to modern coins (coins struck after 1970). Oh well, I hope that helps others considering signing up for membership.

Thanks for the additional inputs just the same...all very useful!

20. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Thanks for the data.
    One and dumb question.
    How much aprox is the ncs/ngc for each coin?
    20 uss/30 uss/
    Exclude shipping costs.
    Include shipping cost domestic only