Shipping between Oz and US.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by TomD, Nov 9, 2011.

1. TomD

TomD Member

I'm toying with the idea of trading out of some coins that I started collecting, but dropped for some reason, into more generic stuff. One problem being that I have no idea the problems and costs of shipping from here to there.

2. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Yes, me too. I have a mate in Oz that I want to ship a coin to. Any suggestions for method? Like safest, least expensive, so on and so forth.

3. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. Coins4me

Coins4me New Member Silver Stacker

I have traded with Maggie (sweetest lady I know, even though we've never met personally) several times. All the amounts were three ounces or less, so I didn't insure or do confimation delivery, or anything like that...just regular small postal box (not priority --box cost around 1.50) and none of the amounts of postage have been over 10.00. Usually the postage is round 6.50. I fill out "metal samples" on the custom form and list the value of what is in the box...so far, no problems. She ships the same way to me. It takes a few days longer, but well worth the wait considering the price difference in regular shipping and priority. Of course, none of this has been big ticket items but for small things....it has worked just fine so far. Hope this helps....Dee

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

heyimderrick has shipped a lot to AU.

6. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Shipping from the US to AU can seem complicated, but in reality there are only a few options that prove to be cost-effective. The cost calculator on USPS.com can be very handy, but be aware that some of the economical options do not offer tracking or insurance.

I primarily use the small flat rate box, priority mail, or the express mail flat rate envelope.

Here is a breakdown:

First Class International Parcel: $5+, the most affordable, just like in the US, price increases with weight. Cannot be tracked or insured. Can be Registered, but be aware that registered international mail has very limited insurance coverage, but is handled more securely. Shipping time from Chicago to Australia averages between 12-21 days. I usually only use this service if I am sending 1-3 ounces in a bubble mailer.

Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box: $13.95, usually arrives between 10-14 days. Cannot be tracked once it has left the US. Cannot be insured. Cannot be Registered. I use this service most often for 4+ ounces, and it has always been reliable. Contents cannot be valued over $400, but that is dependent on how you are declaring the items. I usually use the generic term of commemorative medal with the face value of the coin on the customs form to hopefully avoid theft-appeal.

Priority Mail (own packaging): $28.75+, usually arrives in 10-14 days. Includes tracking, can be insured (at additional cost). I use this service for parcels where the buyer wants full tracking and insurance. I use this for maybe 15-25 ounces. Be careful however, because sometimes the cost can get high and it would be better to use the Medium Flat Rate Box, or Express Mail in some instances.

Express Mail Flat Rate Envelope: $29.95, usually arrives in 7-10 days, with a guaranteed delivery date, that if not met, you can get a refund for the cost. Includes some insurance automatically, additional insurance can be purchased. Fully trackable on USPS.com and Auspost.com. I use this service most often for parcels over $800 that need insurance and full tracking. You can pack a lot of ounces into a bubble mailer and put the mailer inside the flat rate envelope to achieve a very affordable way to send high value parcels. This has become one of my preferred shipping methods.

Express Mail (own packaging): $35.50+, same as above, except price increase with weight. I use this for large, high value parcels that require full tracking and insurance that will not fit in the flat rate envelope. After insurance, this option is often equal to, and sometimes even more affordable than using the priority mail (own packaging) option.

You can also create a USPS account online to print your postage, labels and customs forms from home at a discounted rate. You will still need to bring the parcel to the Post Office to be scanned in and postmarked, but doing postage online is easy and saves time and money.

Completing the customs form online:
    First Class International Parcel (no online postage; postage and form must be completed at Post Office).

All others, customs forms are completed online when doing online postage. For the small flat rate box, the customs form is part of the mailing label and can be taped onto the parcel. For the other services, there are multiple copies of the form and the post worker needs to initial them and put them in a special envelope when you bring the parcel and forms to be dropped off.

If you are not using insurance, be discreet with item declarations (don't encourage theft). Commemorative medal, collectible medal, numismatic medal or numismatic item are the terms I generally use for the contents description. If it is a coin, I declare the face value for uninsured parcels. For insured parcels, you must declare the actual value -- you can't have a customs form say something is worth $1 and then try to insure it for $35.

Let's say we are sending 5 American Silver Eagles uninsured...
    Check the merchandise or gift option.
    For descriptions I would say it's a commemorative medal, collectible medal, numismatic medal or numismatic item
    For quantity (total) and weight (ea.), 5, 1 oz.
    For value (ea.), $1

Let's say we are sending 15 Lunar Dragons insured...
    Check the merchandise or gift option.
    For descriptions I would say it's a commemorative medal, collectible medal, numismatic medal or numismatic item
    For quantity (total) and weight (ea.), 15, 1 oz.
    For value (ea.), $70
    Insured value (total), $1050

You can ignore the portions regarding export licenses, etc. (unless you are an established business).

Import taxes/fee:
    These are dependent on the country, and your buyer should be able to advise how they want the parcel handled. As far as I know, parcels to Australia under $1000 in value are not subject to any import taxes. Parcels over $1000 may be subject to some fees depending on the contents, but I am unsure. In either case, the shipper is not responsible for any fees or duties, the buyer may be, however. I believe there is an exception for pure, investment-grade metals valued over $1000.

Other options:
    I personally no longer use or offer UPS, DHL, or FedEx for international shipments. I've found them all to be cost prohibitive, slower to get through customs, and in some cases, increases the expense for buyers due to additional handling fees and import taxes. While parcels do on occasion take longer than expected with USPS, I have been very satisfied overall. I have easily sent over 100+ parcels to international buyers using USPS without issue. As long as the country the parcel is arriving in has a reliable post service, I wouldn't hesitate.

I'm happy to offer advice if you have any specific questions. My methods above apply to all international shipments.

7. Coins4me

Coins4me New Member Silver Stacker

Very well explained and described, Derrick. I will subscribe to this topic for furture reference. Thanks for taking the time to input all the info for all whom are curious....Dee

8. WhyNotTryIt?

WhyNotTryIt? New Member

Watch out for the 10% GST some stores try to charge you even though you are ordering from outside Australia.

9. heyimderrick

Fair point as there is some confusion on the matter.

But this thread is about shipping to Australia.

From my understanding, investment grade metals and parcels below a declared value of $1000 are not subject to GST in Australia.

The shipper is also not the party responsible for paying any GST, the buyer would be, and they should be aware of their country's import rules.

10. picturefun

picturefun Member

I posted a question somewhere on this forum, but NO one bothers to answer me, so I will mention it here again.

According to the USPS site, Australian gov. ban shipping IN silver and gold coins, that means NO one can ship silver or gold coins from U.S. to Australia.

or do I understand Wrong???

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ab_012.htm#ep1572941
    "Country Conditions for Mailing Australia

Prohibitions (130)

Coins; bank notes; currency notes (paper money); securities of any kind payable to bearer; traveler's checks; platinum, gold, and silver (except for jewelry items meeting the requirement in "Restrictions" below); precious stones (except when contained in jewelry items meeting the requirement in "Restrictions" below); and other valuable articles are prohibited.

Fruit cartons (used or new).

Goods bearing the name "Anzac."

Goods produced wholly or partly in prisons or by convict labor.

Perishable infectious biological substances.

Radioactive materials.

Registered philatelic articles with fictitious addresses.

Seditious literature.

Silencers for firearms.

Used bedding.

Restrictions

Jewelry is permitted only when sent as an insured parcel using Priority Mail International service. In addition, Australian Customs regulations prohibit importation of jewelry that is made with ivory or from endangered species, such as snake, elephant, or crocodile, that does not have an accompanying Import/Export Permit in relation to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

Meat and other animal products; powdered or concentrated milk; and other dairy products requires permission to import from the Australian quarantine authorities.

Permission of the Australian Director-General of Health is required to import medicines.

Observations

Duty may be levied on catalogs, price lists, circulars, and all advertising introduced into Australia through the mail, regardless of the class of mail used.

"

11. heyimderrick

I've never once had a problem. You'll find prohibitions like this listed for most countries, but for merchandise and gifts that aren't environmentally hazardous (food, plants, chemicals, etc.), I don't think you'll have any issues.

12. picturefun

picturefun Member

Thanks a lot for the reply. So I will just write "Metal sample" on custom declaration form, is that ok? or you are using some other better word? :)

13. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

I also asked Derrick for help when I was sending a bigger package, he gave me the following info:

Value: Put face value of coin
    Items: Numismatic Medal, Numismatic Medallion, Collector's Medal, Collector's Medalion.

I used to put full value and what was inside, not a good idea.

14. heyimderrick

Any of the above mentioned by Diablo21 would be fine. You don't want to lie about the contents, but you do want to be generic.

Commemorative medal, collectible medal, numismatic medal, numismatic item are the terms I generally use.

If it is a coin, I declare the face value for uninsured parcels. For insured parcels, you must declare the actual value -- you can't have a customs form say something is worth $1 and then try to insure it for $35.

15. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

GP, this thread should be stickied in the North American trading section.

16. heyimderrick

I've updated my post (#6) to include a couple other tidbits that often come up.

17. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Hey Derrick I know you said Fedex is cost prohibitive but comeaux sent me panda from US using international economy fedex and it only cost him $19.

Still a good option if you need the speed maybe?

Just putting it out there, I'm not sure about the US postal system etc

18. heyimderrick

I saw that mentioned in the panda forum I believe, but I honestly don't know how that rate was calculated. For FedEx every package I calculated using their international economy service has been over $70. If Comeax has a business account with FedEx, his rates may be discounted. He is welcome to share his insight if he would like. At this time, all I can share is what has worked for me so far. :D

19. TomD

TomD Member

Maybe it would be easier if I traded with you. I'm from Atlanta, lived there my whole life until I moved to Pensacola about 3 years ago. Heading up there tomorrow, I'm still a member of Riverbend Gun Club and we've got a big 2-day- long rifle competition starting Sat AM.

20. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

fishball, comeaux probably has a much lower business shipping rate or a higher quantity shipping rate. The person who subleases office space from me was affiliated with an insurance company as an independent agent. While DHL has still in business, we could send a letter overnight anywhere in the US for $5.00. That included free pick up. The price went up when DHL sold out and the deal disappeared entirely about 2-3 years ago.

heyimderrick, I forgot that our AICPA has a special Fedex rate. The price isn't wonderful, but it is better than the normal rate. Here is the link

http://www.cpa2biz.com/AST/AICPA_CPA2BIZ_Browse/Member_Benefits/Programs/FederalExpress.jsp