Selling on SS vs Ebay

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Yippe-Ki-Ya, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I've noticed that most people who sell on SS do so by making use of Aus Post Platinum Express parcel delivery service to get the item to the buyer. I've had a bit of a look at threads on this topic and have to admit that I'm amazed that people here are willing to risk using this service in spite of the fact that Au Post do not offer insurance cover on bullion.
    I've also read the "loophole" used by some of insuring the parcel contents as "industrial metal samples" - however in the event of an actual claim being made I'm 99% sure that Aus Post will get out of paying up in such a case and will (rightly) point out that silver is deemed by them to be bullion and is therefore not covered.

Notwithstanding the lack of ability to insure bullion, but also the relatively poor reliability of delivery (tracking, signature, ID of recipient absent/voluntary) as mentioned in various threads on the topic, I'm truly amazed at how many people here simply shut their eyes, block their ears, and just use this service anyway - thereby risking the loss of thousands of dollars at a time. What would happen in such a case? Would the buyer (who has already paid) simply lose out? Or would the seller cop it and resend another batch?

I'd be interested to hear all of your comments about this.

To my mind anyway I believe that F2F transactions are the only way to go, but that also has its limitations here on SS as one is then limited by how big/small the SS community in your area is and more so on how cash strapped they are :p

With this in mind, I'm wondering whether selling on Fleebay might be a better option?
    Of course then one would lose all anomymity with any transactions.
    Although this would presumably also be the case when sending parcels via Aus Post.

Comments?

2. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

Yippe, how does selling on SS and sending Plat or Regd Post differ from selling on eBay and sending Plat or Regd Post?

3. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

I send 50+ platinum express post articles a week. I have never yet (in 2+ years) had a Platinum Express post parcel go missing. Worst I had was 2 parcels delivered in 48 hours rather than 24 due to them missing a pickup at the depot.

malachii

4. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Apologies - I should have cleared up that point above as i already thought about that.

On Ebay one would have a much much wider audience, so could afford to limit audience to same area as pickup only and would still have access to a relatively large audience.

5. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

Ebay is a ripoff, I'm surprised someone hasn't contacted a courier company and asked for a prebuy of courier tickets specifically for the forum and then sold them here as needed. Should be half the price of platinum too.
    Yippikiya, why have you not joined the uncensored free for all forum? I was preparing a fuller explanation of earning lawful income rather than legal in order to bypass the ATO. I've wasted over 3 minutes of brainpower.
    I would make the link my signature, but it seems a tad unethical
    so here it is again
    http://australianconspiracy.forumotion.com/

So far no boffins have joined, and it needs a lift in standards.l

6. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Well either you're extremely lucky so far or there's some other material fact which I'm missing?

There's always a first time, and in such an event whose gonna cop the loss?

7. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

:p

8. malachii

The downside to selling ebay is the fees. The downside of SS is that buyers are too focused on spot and are reluctant to pay above spot even when the buy price is good. If I have something that is slightly numismatic I either sell direct to certain people via PM or send it to ebay. The extra charges are far outweighed by the bigger price you receive.

malachii

9. malachii

Has anyone lost anything with Platinum Express Post here?

I'd be surprised if it is more than 1 or 2 items total.

malachii

10. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

however you lose anonymity ... which given our unlawful (or is it illegal Roman?) theft statutes could pose a serious problem.

11. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

12. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

How do you lose anonymity as such?

13. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Mate - you sure you're not a politician?? :p

14. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

on Ebay??? are you kidding me???

If you have to ask you obviously haven't sold anything on there yet. There a long, clear "paper trail" right up to your front door!

savvie?? :)

15. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

If you joined the other forum, where my pearls of wisdom remain for posterity. I'll explain it simply
    Then with your big boffin brain you can figure it out for whatever tax situation you find yourself in alot faster than I can

How can the ATO tax lawful money possession?
    A Perth mint coin is lawful money AND legal tender. How can you tax an increase in the vlue of lawful money ? The ATO can't go into lawful jurisdiction without putting their head in a noose, so they will steer well clear of it.

And if they did, it would be a nice precedent in a way, because then inflation is a tax deduction
    And you pull down the whole tax system with a jury, because their policies are breaking the law.

16. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

ok i give up ... i'll join! :lol:

17. XB

OK so I'm confused (not hard for me) - is the point of the thread about the efficiency of the postal system and it's refusal to insure, or about anonymity in transactions?

18. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

You gonna answer the question? who would cop the loss if the parcel went missing?

19. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

You're right - there's a lot going in this thread!

It's basically just a bit of a deeper think about how we transact here. Like I said, I'm amazed at how many people here use Platiunum Post, despite the refusal of Aus Post to insure the goods as well as their lack of taking responsibility when parcels do not arrive timeously or even when they dont arrive at all! Think no signature required or ID required by end recipient, sometimes no traceability at all on system (scanning is an option) etc etc yet many here send stuff worth many thousands of dollars using this system without a second thought.
    I'm just saying i think that's pretty risky!

Sure, for the big boyz around here I guess losing a few grand if a parcel goes missing wouldn't be a serious problem for them, but for me it certainly would be.

Also, for many of us - anonymity is important when transacting. This is however not possible when using platinum post, nor is it possible when selling on Ebay.

Just some things to think about.

20. XB

Yippe, Assume you are the seller. What did you agree with your buyer - what were your terms of sale? If the deal was Plat post at your risk, then you the seller carry the risk, If Plat Post at Buyer risk, well obviously the Buyer carries the risk. Savvie? (sorry but I just had to)

If you were silly enough not to include terms of sale that made this clear, well I think personally the Seller carries the risk, but others no doubt will have other views.