Russia invading Ukraine --- Silver/Gold Implications?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silvermed, Mar 2, 2014.

1. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

off on a tangent now................another topic degenerating into complete garbage.

2. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

What happens now is doomstalk to make people willing to swap their fiat for gold/silver and receive less due to a price that was driven up by others earlier.
    Then, in the highday of the doomstalk, those others will swap the pm back to the fiat.
    Then, the doomstalk about Russia/Ukraine will stop.
    Instead, it will be about gold/silver, while they're holding ready the fiat to buy back in lower.
    In a nutshell! :D

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The reason why Obama bitch-slapped Putin and NOT the other way around is because the US has no horse in this race. The US has NO mutual defense treaty with Ukraine. The US is being a bully in my view. For Obama to make threats upon Russia when the US has no horse in this race is a bitch-slap of Putin.

And yes, contrary to the claims by some forum members here, Russia would basically have to overthrow the current Ukraine gov't in order to take full control of Ukraine because the West wouldn't allow Russia to annex Cremia. Russia would basically need to start a war with Ukraine to try to annex Cremia and Russia is not going to risk that. The fact that they have some military vehicles in Cremia is not at all the same as annexing Cremia though military force. The US and the West will not tolerate Russia attempying to militarily rip Cremia away from Ukraine.

This does not at all mean that I feel the US has a right to impose economic sanctions upon Russia. The US has itself engaged in much greater acts of unjustified military attacks upon other nations with no economic sanctions upon it....there's few things worse than double standards.

4. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Markets seem to get spooked by all sorts of events and this is potentially a "big event".
    Who knows if PMs will rise or fall but there will be many traders licking their lips at the thought of volatility which makes them huge bonuses whether markets, commodities etc go up or down. Heads I win and tails you loose !!

5. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Yes...and it becomes a conflict within ones self..........having skin in the game means that a short end to this tragedy unfolding would minimise potential profits............but hoping for a quick end nonetheless for the poor people involved.

6. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

To actually answer the OP, slight increase in prices, which will then dip again or remain level - basically very little change and no, or very little, "war premium" in silver or gold.

My view of the situation: Russia will continue posturing around the borders and increasing presence in it's leased bases in Sebastopol and the Crimea; Ukraine will continue posturing around its "claim" to the Crimea; Crimea will continue with it's own call for independence from Ukraine, the foreshadowed referendum will be held and overwhelmingly support "independence", and the newly independent Crimea will align with Russia. There will be minor conflict (aka India/Pakistan style) for a while between the officially unofficial paramilitary groups supporting Kiev and Moscow but no major conflict between Ukraine and Russia. By the end of this year it will be settled. It will flare again in around 5 years when new politicians decide it's time to show what "strong" leaders they are.

Which I believe is now China ..... IMO the reign of the USA has ended, it just hasn't realised it yet.

7. Pirocco

I think the price will wobble a week sideways to then be dumped down a dollar, then again a week sideways to then be dumped down a second dollar, and then we're back were we came from, with some regretting their decisions based on this story, and some happy with those decisions, yay we sold at the top to those suckers! Rinse and repeat! :D

8. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

ML, I don't know why this is hard for you to understand, but Putin has Sevastopol and that is what he wants. You write that he is trying to take over the Ukraine and he doesn't have to and has not indicated a desire to do so. The US absolutely will allow Putin to take Crimea if he wants the whole area. If Putin wants the Crimea, a vote will be held and Crimea will either vote to be independent and allied with Russia or become part of Russia. But Putin does not need the Ukraine or the entire Crimea.

ML are you saying that the US lied to Ukraine?

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-11-17/news/mn-63844_1_nuclear-power

""We're prepared to offer security assurances to Ukraine once it has acceded to the treaty," Shelly said." What happened to those security assurances?

And the US does have a horse in the race, but its leg is broken. We urged the Ukrainians to revolt and are abondoning them as we did the Georgians. Putin bitchslapped Europe, Obama and the rest of Eastern Europe and took Sevastopol in one master stroke. The other Eastern European countries are learning that Nato/Europe will not help them and they will gravitate back towards Russia.

Remember what I said about China backing Russia? Didn't take long at all.

http://defence.pk/threads/russia-and-china-in-agreement-over-ukraine.302831/

For $24 of beads, we got the Ukrainians to effectively disarm themselves and now they are coming to understand that they are defenseless against Russia. Europe and the US can huff and puff, but they cannot blow Putin's house down. Sevastopol is now in Russian hands and will effectively stay that way.

ML your view of this situation is an extreme minority. Putin is an excellent chess player and he has checkmated the US. Obama only cares about himself and his ego. He will not take any real risks for Ukraine and China has effectively checkmated any upcoming sanctions. If Europe wants to get tough, they will need those thoughts to keep them warm when their energy is cut off.

Where Putin takes all of Crimea or is satisfied with Sevastopol, I don't know or care. But he has won and I am done with this discussion.

9. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Stock markets all around the world are down today whilst gold is up over US$1,350. There was a gold breakout from December and this situation has sustained and now appears to be accelerating the rise in the price of gold.

This could be the Black Swan moment leading to the SHTF. For a couple of years now we have been talking of the BRIC countries going up against the Dollar and the Euro, it will be interesting to see China's take on this.

Further, if nothing militarily comes of this and it is settled politically, could the final outcome be that the fundamentals we often espouse about PMs, kick in and lead to new maintainable highs?

10. Pirocco

Every ounce silver bought as storage of value is bound to be sold in a future, inverting the price change it cause before.
    Now look at the stocks silver accumulated during the last 5 years.
    Eek?

11. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

I think it's possible that the russians will just hold
    their position until the elections, and the people
    will vote in another pro russian government.
    Then the russians will withdraw.
    That's the implied offer, no?

12. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:
    What makes you think the Ukraine's will vote for a Russian backed government ?
    If the elections are free and honest without Putin sticking his nose in it , I don't believe a Russian backed stooge will get in
    It's only the Crimea that he wants to come back to Russia
    IF the Ruski's would have gone into other parts of the Ukraine ,well that would be a totally different ball game ;)

13. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

thats the implied offer!
    the other ballgame.

Vote for a pro russian government and we'll withdraw.
    Don't and be invaded.

14. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Posted by whistleblower, Susan Lindauer:
    << <<
    Message from one of my Ukrainian friends: His words "Is The US using mercenaries to back up the junta?

According to the information from our Ukrainian friends, charter flights have been arriving to Zhuliany and Borispol airports from the last night. A lot of fit young men arrived, who are dressed as civilians, but each of the carrying several large "field" bags, which are similar to the ones, which the US military use to transport their equipment and clothing.

Due to some strange reason all of these people are the employees of Greystone Limited a private military company, which is a subsidiary of the well-known Xe Services LLC former Blackwater USA. The total of about 300 people have arrived.

These fit and well-trained boys can have a whole range of different tasks: from guarding the new people in power from Euromaidan centuries to mopping up the cities of South-East of Ukraine. The main question is how many of them are arriving to Kiev, and who is paying for all this performance, which is not a cheap one at all.

I think it is not the new Ukrainian government for sure.

http://stbcaptain.livejournal.com/81805.html

>> >>

15. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

well, I've got a message from a friend who was a protester in Kiev
    for 1 month of protesting he got $2000 USD ... those who fired Molotov cocktail got $6000/month per his word - he though it was too risky and enjoyed his small paycheck of $4000 for two months. He thinks it was the easiest money in his life (average wage in Ukraine is about $300/month)

Guess, who payed the dollarzzz? )))
    now this country blames Russia that they breaking the contract

16. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

It's not the 1990's anymore, it's not a gangland with people shooting each other in Russia. Your more likely to get shot in America by some psychopath. To say there are no human rights in Russia is a false statement.

The US eavesdrops on all communications. They can go into anyone's home at any time and arrest anyone under false pretences of them being a terrorist and lock them away in an orange jumpsuit in the middle of nowhere forever without any evidence at all.

Have you ever been to Russia?

What about all of the people who are falsely enslaved in the US? The US imprisons more people per capita than any other country.

Russians have more freedom than Americans who believe they are free. "There are none more hopelessly inslaved by those who falsely believe they are free" and the reason the US hate Russia so much is because if it wasn't for Russia the US would have taken over the world a long time ago, all the US wants to do is control everything and everyone.

And what about all of the people who were killed by America in cold blood by capital punishment. And who of those were completely innocent.

I know which country I would prefer to live in.

17. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

No doubt there will be absolutely no news coverage about this.

18. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

As far a military forces go America has the most combat efficient force the world has ever seen bar none. >>>

US haven't seen a real enemy since Vietnam

19. Byron

Byron Guest

Excellent post XB. That is exactly how i think it will pan out.

Putin got into Crimea quick. That was a brilliant move. There is no way the Russian troops are going anywhere now.

This situation is identical to Trandinistria in Moldova, Abkhazia and Osettia - Russian army in, acting a "peacekeepers". They are still there years later and will remain put.

Similar thing happened in Northern Cyprus and Nagorno Karabakh (Azerbaijan). Once you control a territory nothing short of a full blown war can get you out.

20. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where does the US backed stooge fit into all this? I somehow think the Russians have more ethically justified reasons for concern in the Ukraine than 10 000 klm distant US of A (or their proxies in western Europe). :rolleyes: