Queensland jobs outsourced to Philippines by the hundreds of thousands

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TeaPot&ChopSticks, Mar 6, 2014.

1. TeaPot&ChopSticks

TeaPot&ChopSticks New Member

http://www.couriermail.com.au/busin...eds-of-thousands/story-fnihsps3-1226820940889

Mini Movers CEO Mike O'Hagan, who runs tours of Manila outsourcing companies for Queensland business owners.

UP TO 280,000 Queenslandjobs will go to the Philippines in the next 10 years as businesses flee Australia's high-wage, high-cost economy.

About 4500 Queensland jobs went to the Philippines last year, with one expert predicting that figure could double in 2014.

IT entrepreneur and outsourcing guru Scott Linden Jones said about 25,000 Australian roles were exported to Philippines-based outsourcing companies last year, and predicted the figure would soar to 50,000 in 2014, not counting jobs being exported to India or China.

"Ultimately, I believe about one million to 1.5 million white-collar roles will leave Australia never to return," Mr Jones said.

Of those, 190,000 to 280,000 were expected to come from Queensland over the next 10 years. Banks and telcos led the exodus about six years ago, and now the state's small and medium-size businesses were following suit, moving their back-office functions such as bookkeeping, marketing, sales service, graphic design and myriad IT functions, something that would have huge ramifications for Australian graduates in a huge range of industries, Mr Jones said.

"The fastest-moving (Australian) industries at the moment are those under cash pressures, like construction and manufacturing with a lot of admin, finance, estimating, drafting, marketing, sales support, tendering (going). Almost anything that doesn't require hands and eyes in Australia," Mr Jones said.

He said dozens of high-rise office blocks were sprouting in Manila to meet the international demand for outsourcing, while a whole outsourcing city, Clark City, had been developed north of the capital.

Mike O'Hagan, founder of Brisbane-based Mini Movers who owns eight businesses dotted across Asia, runs tours of Manila outsourcing operations for Queensland businesspeople every three weeks. He said every tour was fully booked.

"The big corporates started offshoring years ago and so had a huge competitive advantage over smaller businesses," Mr O'Hagan said. "Now small to medium-size enterprises have access to it. So people can go to an Australian company and get a website built for, say, $5000, or go overseas and have it done for a few hundred dollars."

Mr O'Hagan said about one million people in the Philippines were employed in the outsourcing sector, which wasis growing about 20 per cent a year, according to Philippine Government figures.

The sector was worth about $14.4 billion to the nation's economy, up almost fourfold from $3.77 billion in 2006.

While an average Filipino in a clerical or administration job with a local company earned about $45 a month, the same worker could earn up to $125 a month in an outsourcing firm, Mr O'Hagan said.

Nick Sinclair, chief executive of Gold Coast financial services firm Wealthfarm, hired eight staff in Manila in 2010 and has just expanded the team to 34. But Mr Sinclair argued the trend could actually help create more jobs in Queensland, not kill them.

The move has allowed his firm, for example, to offer clients a daily cashflow analysis which would cost $100 an hour in Australia but just $20 in Manila. It ha's also freed up his Australian staff to focus directly on clients.

"Certainly I know of cases where it has meant redundancies in Australia," he said. "But in my firm it has freed up about 50 per cent of our capacity in Australia so we can offer a lot more value-added service to clients without added cost.

"Our Australian office staff can now see more clients because they are not tied up with processing and that will allow us to grow our business and hire more staff."

Mr Sinclair predicted his Manila team will grow three to fourfold within the next 18 months.

2. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Seriously what is Australia's future? Are we just going to be a quarry?

3. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

YES! And Hopefully a huge LNG exporter also.

BUT, whats goin to happen to all this high priced RE when people start losing jobs left,right and centre!

4. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Geesus that IS scary.......FFS maybe if all these Asians stopped breeding so much they might have some room to spare but they're out of control? Half of it is there own bloody fault.......:(

They breed like rabbits!

6. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

p.s I wonder if this is Illuminati's way of saying 'live or die whichever way you can'???

7. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

8. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The birth rates of Hong Kong has been declining for years so one would assume that would leave more housing but alas mainland Chinese have been moving to Hong Kong and buying up real estate. I would think most unemployed people in Australia would want to live close in major cities as there would be more job opportunities and closer to facilities and infastructure which would still mean there would be lots of rental demand pushing up prices or settling for smaller rentals.

9. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Land availablity is irrevelent.......TOO MANY People in such a city........Stop bloody breeding like rabbits and then there just might be some room left....FFs its not even hard to work out!!!

Fuck me im ready to start an 'Asians are taking over the world' thread!!!!

10. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Its they're own fuckin fault!!!

11. trew

Keep up this racist shit and you'll get banned.

12. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

I was on holiday in HK once, I sat at the British Army museum that is on the harbour and looked across to the New Territories of Hong Kong. I counted something like 26 new high-rise apartment buildings being built all with the same design and at similar levels of construction.

Amazed me, all the cranes just spoke of a construction industry building more and building faster than what the Australian (unionised) worker could do.

13. trew

I've seen similar levels of construction in Singapore, but if you look on site at the actual construction workers none are Chinese - they are all imported labour from Indonesia, India etc

14. trew

Back to the topic - halve the value of the Aussie dollar and see how the equation works out.

15. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Australian workers can do it here, but they'd have a death and injury rate comparable to Hong Kong's.

So they don't.

And they form unions to stop people trying to get them to work that way.

16. TeaPot&ChopSticks

TeaPot&ChopSticks New Member

I watched Clarke and Dawe tonight. It gets to the point. [Market Conditions and the Value of the Dollar] I do not know how to post videos here - all the same the Swiss have leaders that can at the very least ensure that their country has a functioning economy.

17. Byron

Byron Guest

Is your wife Asian or something trew? You always seem touchy around this subject.

Kindly dismount from your politically correct horse.

18. Byron

Byron Guest

True but isn't the construction industry in Asia basically comprised of poor bangladeshis and other third worldlers that willing to work in unsafe conditions for peanuts?

I do agree though that projects do take far too long to complete in oz.

19. nickybaby

nickybaby Active Member Silver Stacker

I though they formed unions to rorte the system and get huge pay increases that make them unprofitable on a global scale.......

20. Potato

Potato Member

I wouldn't be here if "they" didn't "breed like rabbits."

On behalf of the asian part of my heritage, I apologise for breeding so much, since as you say, it's "my own fault" that we are in this mess.

It seems in your mind being of asian descent means you're part of some kind of collective consciousness where you're all the same and make decisions as a whole :rolleyes:

C'mon, you're better than that.