Proof Dragons at the Post Office

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Jislizard, Oct 10, 2011.

1. octapotamus

octapotamus Member Silver Stacker

So, I got wind of a PO in Perth that has a bunch of Proof Dragons and went there this afternoon.

Got there ten mins before closing, was crapping myself, got lost, finally found it and man was it worth it!

I found the cabinet and what did I see? 2 sequential-number coloured proof 1/2 oz Dragons, 2 sequential-numbered coloured proof 1oz Dragons and... A DRAGON TYPESET!

Apparently they'd got the Typeset in this morning, and it had sat there all day just waiting for me :D I was so excited I accidentally bought the 1/2 oz CPDs instead of the 1oz, didn't care, so happy.

Might go back tomorrow morning to get the 1ozs if they're still there. Might not.

Thanks Australia post, and the very generous forum member who told me which PO had the goods, I owe you a beer or 5 :)

2. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

You lucky bugger! Can't find any dragons at Post Offices on the Gold Coast!
    But I did manage to get 2 coloured tigers from ebay Germany for $98ea, not overly cheap but they are hard to find - they have 3 more on offer if you interested (ID 270825554006)

3. octapotamus

That's not too bad, considering how few of them for sale there seems to be.

The Dragons seem to have just started trickling through to the POs here in Perth, so might be worth keeping an eye out over there for the next week or so. The big Australia Post Shops in shopping centers seem to be the best for coins from what I've seen.

4. Sumerian

Sumerian Member

Jislizard was nice enough to take me up on my offer, wich i was greatful for.

My post office only has 3 of the mary maccillop stamp coin sets wich are sold out and the blinky bill 6 coin set, if i was rich i would get the saint ones.

I asked today if they get in coins from the perth mint and they said sometimes and there was a half ounce looked like a baby dragon coin i could order from an order sheet siting on her desk with a 7500 mintage, is this coming out soon or is it an older coin?, i will look around myself soon anyway.

She then said she would see what was in the warehouse on the computer and she said there was 15 non coloured proofs and a few hundred coloured ones.
    So she put in an order but thought maybe i may not be lucky. I ordered 7 all up 2 coloured.

I wonder if there warehouse system is up to date?, would be good but sounds to good to be true.

5. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Beware of the RAM drago... oops I mean skinks

6. Dandan

Dandan New Member

Bloody royal wedding coins everywhere. Gah! PO's are chokkas with them round my area

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

8. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

9. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

There's probably a proof dragon sitting at some random post office in the middle of nowhere.

10. Sumerian

Sumerian Member

Now you have me worried :).

I saw dragons on her sheet and was not sure what kind they were but looking now they are the RAM design ones.

there were no pictures on her computer screen when she ordered.

I dont think i got those kind, she said the ones i ordered were about 112.50, so unsure.
    I will look for the price of the RAM ones, i think i just found some at the coin club website for 55$.

http://www.coinclub.com.au/products/RAM-2012-Year-of-The-Dragon-$1-Silver-Proof-Coin.html

I am pretty sure the perth mint coloured half ounce was on her sheet and i asked for 1 ounce ones not those half ouncers.

edit I also do not think the RAMS are 1oz?, i said i want 1oz not half, so that is a good sign.

11. Sumerian

Sumerian Member

there is an half ounce baby dragon released in november, so if that has a mintage of 7500, that is the one i was unsure about on the sheet that i could order, i think it was her perth mint sheet, may have to get a copy of her forms one day.

http://www.perthmint.com.au/forthcoming-releases.aspx

She also pointed out square dragon coins, i think they could be the new ones coming also on the release page.

12. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Just tried Australia fair PO, got told "we get got what we are given go on-line and order there..." :(

13. Sumerian

Sumerian Member

Not good.

I am not holding out much hope anyway myself.

Seems my post office lady was more helpful than most, i have known who she is for over 20 years though, she knows my PO Box number anyway.

I am more suprised she had the forms right there, as some have said in this or the other thread that some did not know who the perth mint was, so i may be able to order some in the future and get them as they are delivered.

I should have asked about typesets. There was guilded ones also, but they are still available online, may get one one day.

The other thread that is about the same topic.
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-16421-lunar-hunt-day-2.html

14. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

:) was there this morning :), they don't seem to keep anything interesting and when asking they aren't very helpful, one of the staff put my name down a few weeks ago on a scrap piece of paper just in case any dragons came in - bet that went straight into the bin!

15. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Australia - over priced and under serviced :(

EDIT TO ADD

Recently I was at a Organic Food Market. There was a book that I was interested in buying but it didn't have a price on it. I was interested in buying it so I asked how much it was. Well they couldn't work out the price so they asked me to come back next week. :rolleyes: And people wonder why business is falling. Seriously, in that exchange there was a willing buyer with cash and the buyer is told to go away and come back some other time.

16. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Forget Melbourne PO's.
    I asked at my old PO .where they know me, and the manager looked up what they had in Melbourne
    NO PM silver proof's in Vic anywhere
    Plenty of gold & 1kg silver
    But no silver proof's in Vic
    So my conspiracy theory was right
    PM hate us Mexicans & were not getting any :lol:

17. Lightsview

Lightsview Member

What kind of 1kg silver do they have?

18. octapotamus

Scored another one today, same PO I got my first lot at. At the time they'd mentioned that they had one on hold, so the person must've failed to collect and back in the cabinet it went. I now have a running number trio.
    If anyone lives in Perth, I got them to check the database and there're 3 1oz at Midland PO, and 1 at Cloisters in the city. There may be 1/2ozs there too, but I didn't ask. Oh, and there're 2 1/2 ozs at Mt Hawthorn too, well there was last Friday.. I have enough now.

19. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1kg silver proof for over $2200

20. Lightsview

Lightsview Member

Do you mean the lunar dragon 1kg silver proof? Issue price by Perth Mint was $2190... So the PO are selling it for more than issue price?