Price gouged Australia

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by renovator, Oct 8, 2012.

1. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

They sure are! My tennants don't pay me anywhere near what it's worth to live in my properties! :mad:

2. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

Before I got out of the residential property market way back in the 1990's I had one tenant who called me out about some repairs that needed immediate attention. When I got there a couple of light bulbs were not working. Seemed to think that a light bulb was a fixture and it was my responsibility. When the next rent review occurred I priced his rent to reflect my call out rate so I could meet his expectations.:lol:

Kind Regards
    non recourse

3. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'm getting rid of my places now ( this last interest drop seems to have buyers spending again)
    whineing rip-off artists! "my steps are fallen apart and I'm scared they'll collapse" "My roofs leaking and black mould is shorting the electricity" "my foot fell through the rotted floor boards" Cheeky con artists damaging my property and wanting a REDUCTION in rent!! I've had enough! Auspm is spot on! rents ARE a rip off!
    If you're like me, and far too kind hearted and generous for your own good, stay away from rip-off rentals, go bush and look for gold.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I c wut u did thar

hurr hurr

5. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Light bulbs are generally considered a fixture and therefore the landlord's responsibility.

Which is clearly just stupid.

I actually used to be a lighting technician so obviously I just change light bulbs whenever they need changing, but I was living in a house several years back when a bulb blew while I had some people over and I went to change it. This (idiot) girl got all outraged and was like "you shouldn't be doing that, it's the landlord's responsibility". I said that for a start I was a lighting technician and if I wasn't able to change a bulb in my living room then I shouldn't be changing bulbs in the Concert Hall at the Opera House either, but more importantly we'd spend the rest of the evening sitting in the dark if I didn't.

I mean really. This is where those sorts of bad "how many tenants does it take to change a light bulb" jokes start (even though my current off-the-shelf lease says the landlord is responsible for changing them - which I consider it my duty as the owner of not one, but two opposable thumbs to be in breach of at every available opportunity).

6. Guest

Guest Guest

That said, do you reckon the PIs above will let it slide if their tenant changes the bulb and accidently breaks something because they were forced to do it?

What if the tenant is a 90 year old grandmother living alone, do you reckon they'll snicker and hike up the rent on the old bitch for wasting their time?

These are the people who want the profits from providing shelter, but don't want to maintain it unless it requires a tradesman.

Who's responsibility is it to manage what and who draws the line?

Very clear where the line is drawn when the landlords above are involved...

'bother me for anything short of the place blowing up and I'll jack up your rent you good for nothing scumbag!'

Yeah... we've heard that bullshit before as tenants one time or another.

This is WHY there's tribunals for this sort of thing, LL's think that because you rent out their property, there should be zero wear and tear and that regardless of who lives in it, you treat it like a friggen temple or museum.

Anything less and THEY will gouge YOU for 'wasting their time'

7. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would pay the call out fee just to keep a tradesman out of my house :)

8. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

how the F did this turn from
    cheap alcohol to real estate.....same culprit over and over...you know who are, hows that book coming

heres my tip: don't by alcohol from duty free in vietnam airport. My relos over there even told me not to buy it. My mate did and when we got home he tasted it and was fake!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Gouging and the hypocritical attitudes of those complaining about it

10. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Because the OP is a perma-real estate bull?

and

auspm is an anti perma-real estate bull.

:lol:

11. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah...why don't they stop this faux fighting and just admit they're in love with each other...they're not foolin' anyone :lol:

12. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Ok ok i'll ask him if he wants to swap some dna later. :p:

As soon as he capitulates :lol:

13. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

They were in love with each other. Obviously they have been married for many years at this point.

14. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Everything in Australia is a rip off.

There is no competition in anything that matters. Coles or Woolies? Labor or Liberal? Excessive Rent or Excessive PPOR? Ripoff Telco A,B or C? Electricity increasing faster than wages from middleman company A,B or C? Even our dollar is expensive (seriously the AUD being "worth" more than the worlds reserve currency? Come ON!)

No answers here. Unlike Renovator I'm disgusted AND amused.

15. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

Try buying anything in Australia with "marine" written on it or anything marine/boating related. A lot of the time you can pay retail prices in the states and land it in AUS at your door step for half the price. Even cannon and Nikon see us as easy targets pricing us differently to the rest of the world purely because we are "use" to being gouged.

16. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Except gold.
    Picked up this little beauty today for spot. :p
    [​IMG]

17. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

^ Nice :)

seems Aussies get ripped off over seas too, friend just got home from a holiday in istanbul, visa/permit entries to everyone was 15 euro, but Aus and Canadians pay 50 euro :/

18. SydneySilver

SydneySilver Member

I was in Istanbul about this time last year and all I had to pay was $20USD
    I haven't heard of anyone else having to pay that much, especially from Aus/Can

19. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

I doubt my friend lied to me, perhaps they just got "ripped off" :|

20. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

The thing with Visas is it is usually a reciprocal agreement. If we are lenient on a certain nationality, they are lenient on us as well- like NZ.

If we are reluctant to give visas/charge an arm and a leg to certain nationalities then their government tends to do the same in return for Aussies.

All in all Visas are just another artificial control on humans, and I really dislike them :(