Platinum at 10 years low BUY or NOT buy

Discussion in 'Platinum' started by andrewlee10, Aug 16, 2018.

1. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Platinum has come to 10 years low at USD776 per oz. BUY or HOLD. The premium and spread is higher than gold BUT I found a dealer which paper trade and convertible to physical if accumulate 1 kilo. The spread and premium total 5%.

I buy in yesterday and add more today. How about you?

2. GoldSilverPlatinum

GoldSilverPlatinum Member

What does the small print in your paper contract reads, when you have the 1 kilo paper style (or +) and need to get physical in times of need? Does it absolutely guarantee it supply or are there small print issues telling you have to settle for fiat currency (even if that is crashing)?

Remember you can't hold it in your hands, you don't own it.

3. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Something I don't understand is why paladium is doing much better. Aren't both used for car catalytic converters?

By the way, Paladium used to be very cheap last time.

tater likes this.
  4. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Pt has been in a bear market since its peak 2299.00
    Pd just touch a new high of 1139.62 exceed its previous high of 1100.00 , its own bull market still in place

last time in 2001 Pt was 600 while Pd was at 1000, if they both follow their own cycle, Pd can be higher by 40% as compared to Pt
    unless Russia release their stock pile, then not likely to suppress the price of Pd

5. andrewlee10

BSP Platinum Grams can be converted to 1 kg Heraeus Platinum Bars at any time without any extra cost whatsoever.

BullionStar backs up the BSP Grams with physical precious metals to ensure that all BSP Grams are fully backed up at all times. BullionStar publishes a daily report on the holdings of physical precious metals backing up the Bullion Savings Program here.

This the small print as showed.

I do not intend to hold long. will sell it as long as some margin.

6. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think more platinum is used in catalytic converters for diesel engines and more palladium for petrol engines.
    The manufacturers who lied and cheated when producing their emissions and fuel economy numbers for diesel engines created extra demand for them. Since the cheating being exposed the demand for diesel engines has fallen in favor of petrol (or electric/hybrid) engines. Platinum and Palladium prices have reflected this change.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  7. sgbuyer

Platinium is interesting, but the premium and spread for less than 1kg is crazy.

8. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

It looks like a good buy
    [​IMG]
    The commercial hedger class is even net long, which is very rare.
    It all looks like a decade-bottom.

9. tater

tater Active Member

I,m still bearish on platinum. I sold all of mine about a year ago. Maybe it will pick up but I just haven't seen the upside to it yet.

10. sgbuyer

Industrial demand is falling much faster than supply can fall due to low prices.

I read that since platinum jewellery is heavier than 14k/18k gold, so even at $800 an oz, platinum rings are still more expensive than white gold rings!

http://www.platinum.matthey.com/doc...t reports/pgm_market_report_february_2018.pdf

11. andrewlee10

I get in at low and sold at high for a margin in paper.

I get in again and awaiting time to sell within half year.

12. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

You might want to research asteroid mining a bit... I think that is a bigger threat to platinum outlook than anything else.

Platinum content of asteroid rocks is pretty high relative to Earth based on samples taken so far (relatively few, but growing evidence of asteroid potential). If asteroid mining takes off and becomes economical without more industrial or other demand increases for platinum, platinum prices will likely plummet since its supply will increase quickly.

I have chosen not to get involved in platinum for this reasoning (and also, even if asteroid mining is not developed in the near future, simply still due to a very narrow market when you go to sell platinum). If you invest, I would keep platinum as a low percentage of your metals portfolio segment. Gold and silver are much more liquid, and the content of sampled asteroids' silver and gold is roughly same/less than Earth, making it illogical that asteroid mining could increase their supply much if any (esp after expense considerations). GL

13. rwmmint

rwmmint New Member

We think the variability of metal values which NOBODY can predict, only proves that you need to diversify to at least a minimal extent. This significantly increases your chance of being able to sell (if desired) at higher prices while being able to cycle those profits into other metals that haven't recovered. Diversification with minimal quantities of metals like Cobalt, Ruthenium (available at sites like www.rwmmint.com), etc. can easily be sold on the open market via ebay and many other platforms. There's never been a better time to trail-blaze the investment of non-traditional metals.

14. alor

there is video

https://www.scmp.com/business/commo...dvised-add-more-gold-their-portfolios-protect
    Asia’s super rich advised to add more gold to their portfolios to protect assets amid storms pounding equity markets

Gold has been hammered of late, and some advisers are telling their wealthy clients to take advantage of lower prices and add to their stockpiles.

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 05 September, 2018, 6:01pm

15. tater

tater Active Member

Well that's good for gold and I might agree with this for gold, but not platinum. I still don;t see the upside to it yet and feel that it will continue in its slide.

16. Nancy Willian

Nancy Willian New Member

A majority speculate platinum is bearish rn. So, I guess it's time to buy :D

17. andrewlee10

Plladium is hard to liquidate in singapore else I will buy too.

18. alor

it could be, when the down trend line is broken up and go up
    it is strange that gold can be this low $1200 but $200 away from the low at the end of 2015
    palladium may go higher and catch up with gold, palladium will be sought after when the price is high, and ignored when the price is low

never never land accounting make all this possible

19. Nancy Willian

Nancy Willian New Member

Sweet statistics man. What's the big deal about Palladium? (Pardon my ignorance)

20. sgbuyer

Good call on platinum. Nearly pulled the trigger, but can't stand the premium on physical coin. Not interested in paper though.