Phase II starts in Australia

Discussion in 'Silver' started by intelligencer, Dec 21, 2010.

1. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

Its laughable imo.

If they could collect $1 from each user, which they cant they'd have a revenue of 500m.

Companies like Facebook will be the first to fold as their tenuous revenues contract and debts are called in.

2. f40

f40 Member

They make theyre revenue through advertising not the end users. (similar to Googles model)

AFAIK facebook overtook Google as the most visited website in the USA. Which means HUGE advertising and marketing potential. Also with facebook since you can highly target your ads marketers pay a premium. i.e. you can target wedding ads to females, engaged, 20s living in Melbourne.

I dont know how much revenue facebook makes, but the internet marketers who really know what they are doing with sites like facebook make very good money.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The advertising revenues of Facebook would be beyond comprehension.

4. intelligencer

Yes I realise advertisers pay the way for the users.

Ultimately sites like Facebook are vulnerable to the fickleness of the online population. New sites emerge. New technologies emerge. These companies have a short time in the sun in my experience.

I'm biased. I hate Facebook, have an account for my business to allow contacts to find us but I dont use it personally and in fact think people who actively do are either female, under 21, sheeple, or have low IQ ;)

5. f40

f40 Member

I totally agree. I dont understand why anyone would want to air their personal life / photos online.

6. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Active Member

I also hate facebook, and have never used it and hopefully never will. Although I think it has a legitimate place as a business marketing tool and catching up with long lost relatives, long lost friends, etc. But I think people have gotten carried away with it and it is being overused.

Also I think Mark Zuckerburg is a ass and I wouldn't trust the sleazy executives at facebook with my personal information of any kind. We are already vulnerable as it is in the information age, there is no need to make ourselves bigger targets by using facebook.

7. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would say it's seen as pretty weird for a < 25 y/o not to have an account. I deactivated my account a few months back and when it comes up people are like "oh? why, were you addicted?". Facebook + women is the worst though, girls will always ask for your facebook account so they can pilliage it when they get home, and god knows what their head is full of the next time they see you. Another box that people happily dive into. I want out.

8. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well same here, but the point Im trying to make is. If an internet website can be valued at 40billion dollars, you have to question the measurement of this value. Which is in fiat US dollars. When SHTF, advertising revenue will fall, the revenue from games will fall. These are not necessities in life. 40 billion is like 40 x 1000 x 1 million. So thats like worth 40000 nice Australian houses, or 80000 medium price Sydney houses. Thats alot of houses. Isn't the silver industry like 16 billion? Facebook alone can buy up 2.5 times the amount of silver available.

The problem is, theres actually money chasing this stuff. I don't know if facebook is listed as a stock, but the problem I see is that its valued too much. Or better to say theres too much money chasing and propping up worthless companies and stuff. All I can see is that any industry that is derived and not a necessity in life will be hammered by whats coming.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that we need to continually assess the market and economies. Phase 3 will come, but I don't think we are even in it.

Slam

9. kram

kram New Member

Haha this. 'Sorry, don't have or want one'

10. goldpelican

Facebook is privately held. Not listed on an exchange.

11. reflection

reflection New Member

Reading the responses to my suggestion that silver is in a bubble has resulted in people saying silver is in a "New Paradigm"!!! :eek: :lol:

Seriously though, while the bubble chart does show what a bubble looks like, the crashing part all depends on the "New Paradigm" being false or short lived. What we do not know is if the forces behind the "New Paradigm" will be sustained into the future. If they are sustained then there is no bubble, if they are not sustained then we are in a bubble.

China is mentioned 39 times in this report: http://www.scotiacapital.com/English/bns_econ/bnscomod.pdf
    and yet the very last chart on the last page has a familiar shape. But then look at the copper chart on the second page on the right. It has almost the familiar pattern, including the crash, and then rises to new highs!

In other words we can't predict anything, we can only speculate, and hope that those making the new paradigm continue to maintain it. Having the beginnings of a bubble chart does not always equal having a crash. And I think we can see an example of this on the gold charts. Gold seems to have resisted crashing 3 or 4 times. Silver is to be tested yet.

In my uneducated opinion. :D

12. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gold and silver are manipulated by people with a lot of money and a lot of influence. I don't think charts apply to them and their machinations. Trying to predict prices in gold and silver. bubbles and the like is augury. You might as well get the lady your friend knows to read tea leaves for you.

Speculation aside - and that is you just happening to get on board at the same time as the big boys are making profits - the fact of gold and silver as money means more to me than any bubble theory. Who knows, gold might go back to $300 an ounce in 2011 and stocks might be the place to have your money and the latecomers will have lost from 300 -1000 an ounce. But eventually that money will return. Unlike the dollars spent investing in Lehman Bros 2011 equivalent.

And I can't see a bubble like the 1980's. Nowhere near it in my experience. I expect gold to hit just below 2000 next year and silver just under 37 and if that happens and oil is 140 a barrel then I'll head to safety and leave the brave ones to ride on to 2500 and 50.

My tea leaves say there is just as much chance of a bull market in an inflationary environment as there is the collapse of western economies and boom prices in bullets and beans, and more of the former. Rome wasn't built in a day and it didn't crash over a little stock market dip. It went for a few hundred years after it debased its currency to nothing.

13. fiatphoney

fiatphoney New Member

Yep

They are the paradigm.

"Spending significantly further time obsessing over currencies and investments is a fool's errand." - FOFOA

14. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

But you've gotta take the fundamentals into account when looking at any chart. And I don't think the fundamentals point to a bubble for PMs atm. If anything, we're still literally in phase 2, with a while to go yet. As has been said, Rome didn't collapse in a day.

As well, we chartists know the chart isn't going to predict anything. It's our predictions we overlay on the chart, nothing really to do with the chart and what direction it's going in next.

Charts are great for seeing what has happened ... so far ... and then combining all the information gleaned from the charts with the fundamentals and economic activity, to then be ready when what u think may happen, happens.

Good for picking the low price of the day/week/month, the time to buy or the time to sell.

As for facebook. I've had some dealings with them. They're not a friendly bunch.

Their terms are that they own everything you put on your facebook page. Photos, information, videos etc. It belongs to them. When you delete your photos, they don't. It all stays in the database.

The privacy issue, isn't really the issue. No point hiding your date of birth, or email address, as it's Facebook you're really giving it too, not friends or strangers lurking around.

The only purpose behind facebook is to collect information on consumers.

Hey, here's a free service you can use, and in return, we collect all your personal info (what you're willing to give us), we scan every post you ever post, every comment you ever comment on, recording "keywords" and "phrases" that will help marketers of corporations target you more effectively for their products.

We'll know your likes and dislikes purely by what you view. We know every facebook page you view.

It's the worlds largest database of information on consumers. That's why corporations are willing to throw $500 million at it, as an investment in the info that's going to be available. Their advertising revenue, from advertisers is peanuts atm, compared to the information they're going to be able to market, package and sell.

Google hasn't got a hope. There's no way google could ever supply marketers the sort of information that Facebook can. Name, location, age, likes, dislikes, interests, what time u use the net, what u view etc etc, it goes on and on.

It's one of those things, you either accept as inevitable in a world as crazy as ours, or you don't use it.

Oh, and if u think u own the stuff u put on FB, try and get it back when they disable your account, for "reasons unexplained".

15. kram

kram New Member

I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting your statement, but I'd say Google knows when you shit.

Google collects a lot of information. The contents of your emails are scanned and 'relevant' advertising displayed on the same page. With the Android phone platform the amount of information readily available to them has increased; they can have access to your location via GPS if it's not disabled, also unless disabled will automatically sync phone numbers & addresses with your account, allow you to backup your sms, calendar events to their servers etc. The advertising used by developers for apps on Android (much like a website) have access to your location via GPS so they may target ads towards you and your specific area.

Thankfully you can prevent some or most of this with the aid of third party apps

Edit - Oh hi user: Google [Bot]!

16. intelligencer

17. goldpelican

Saw a TV ad here in the US today explicitly pushing silver eagles as an investment, touting silver's performance.

18. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I see the Herald Sun just quotes and all time high and no indication of it being a blip in history. Your average person would look at that and say mmmmm money to make time to buy. January prices WILL be interesting.

19. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

Herald sun article also fails to state that the all time high was due to the hunt bros attempting to corner the silver market.. food for thought.

20. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All this news should increase the demand for paper silver quite a bit