Perth Mint mintage policy

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ron Currie, Nov 7, 2012.

1. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

Silver is silver. If you are paying more for silver then what silver is worth then more fool you. Buy silver because its silver not because it has some year stamped on it or because it has been made to look like something x or y times etc buy silver because its silver. Numismatic coins aren't silver bullion.

eg Red-Back Spider thats a Numismatic coin it comes with a little certificate with a limited number

Silver bullion is not and never should be treated as anything other then silver

2. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You haven's been watching too carefully have you

2011 RED BACK SPIDER SILVER PROOF Coin Russian Version
    http://www.bullionbaron.com/2012/02/are-perth-mint-damaging-their.html

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Silver is not silver, that comment is nieve BS!

Go find the price of a 2 oz or 5 oz Mouse Series 2 silver bullion coin! Don't tell me silver is silver, we collect these coins as well as stack them; did you happen to notice the gains on some of the Kooks or maybe the 1oz 2007, 2008 Koala silver BULLION coins?

We stack them because we hope to gain from the increase in the spot price but also jag a few coins that gain a numismatic premium; we also send them away to be graded!

Have you seen the prices of some of the Silver Bullion coins?

I didn't think so!

Silver aint just silver!

Perth's bullion coins a huge following, perhaps you should view the mintage pages and also have a look at ebay completed listings in Germany, Canada, USA, UK and Australia to get a basic understanding.

The lunars are tripple struck, they are encapsulated.

One of the rolese of The Perth mint was to foster interest in Australian metal to overseas customers, that was and still is the aim of the Perth mint via their lunar coin sries and precious metals program.

Having said that, I don't blame you volrathy for your view; it's Perth who are to blame for a confusing mintage policy.

H

Edit

2 oz or 5 oz Mouse

4. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The Perth Mint disagrees:

5. Ron Currie

Ron Currie New Member

NOTICE OF FORTHCOMING KOOKABURRA ANNOUNCEMENT

The Perth Mint has taken the decision to immediately cease production of all Kookaburra silver bullion coins with year-dates 2012 and earlier.

A limited number of some Kookaburra sizes with these dates remain in stock at the Mint. These coins are available to our international network of distributors.

Final mintages for the 1990 2012 Kookaburra Series will be declared in due course.

A formal announcement will be made in February 2013 following the World Money Fair in Berlin.

6. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

So you will make an anouncement when you get your european orders for the last big dump ? Will you be allowing orders until then ?

7. SilverSale

SilverSale Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

8. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

yes, for the Perth Mint :rolleyes:

looks like more koalas will be on the table.

2013 looks real cute, and can we buy them all :lol: the carded one in particular, last year the card was not change...hope PM will be using the EXACT same card design again :p .... please resort to the card printing will yoh... we won't complaint about that..at least for most of us here.

in Animal Farm, some animal are more equal than others :(

9. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

This is a big step in the right direction IMHO. I am sure the noise made on SS and other forums has had an impact on the decision makers at PM so well done to those that made noise. Good time to stock up on good quality older kooks.

10. alor

" 2020 RED BACK SPIDERS SILVER PROOF Coin Blue Haven Version" :eek:

11. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

My nightmare has been confirmed.. it's just the matter of how many more were minted.. and what damage has been done :( :( :(

12. Holdfast

NOTICE OF FORTHCOMING KOOKABURRA ANNOUNCEMENT

Final mintages for the 1990 2012 Kookaburra Series will be declared in due course.

A formal announcement will be made in February 2013 following the World Money Fair in Berlin.

The announcement!

I wish to formally announce that you SS are too late, we at Perth have had the presses running over-time, unfortunately we have to honour contracts with our distributors in Germany so unfortunately, bullion Kookaburra coins will be available from our distributors sometime in February 2013.

I won't be able to list the coins Perth manufactured due to client-confidentiality agreements.

The final mintages will be declared after we have off-loaded all of our stock; there will be no product recall because it is our (Perth's) perogative to mint unlimited silver Bullion Kookaburra coins as per The Perth Mint mintage policy recently posted on our collector and bullion Blogs.

Thankyou for your understanding!

13. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thank you Ron for your response. We hope that the number of non 1oz coins will be limited and that this will not significantly damage the market. At least that will be the end of it and it will not be an ongoing problem. Final mintage figures would be very important, thank you.

It is good to hear that the mint does acknowledge its local support and this has been a credit to our SS members.

14. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

This is what i dont understand if they have ceased production they would already know the mintages i think they would include unsold stock in the mintages .Personally it sounds like they will make them until feb 2013 when they get the orders from the europeans ie after the money fair in berlin

15. Holdfast

^^^^Renovator

I don't know what's going on or how many coins are manufatured. :|

Lets hope the mintages aren't too high but any order placed by the Europeans would have been large. :(

Like...now what do we do? We are swinging in the air, waiting for something to happen in 2 plus months time!

Two plus months! :rolleyes:

There must be a ton of stackers thinking about selling out or maybe ride this one out.

Who would buy a coin on ebay when the same coin could be much cheaper in Feb 2013.

I'll tell you what I'm doing, I'm sitting tight on what I have until Ron Currie makes his announcement. :|

Ron, please let us know what size coins are affected? The kilo, 10 oz, 2 oz or all of them?

H

16. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Yep, this limited stock that they have suddenley found sounds a little suss to me. If they are in stock surley a simple stock take would enable them to provide final mintage figures now. :rolleyes:

17. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree that the announcement is welcome but I also question the two month wait!

Is it going to take them 2 months to count them all, surely they know how many they have made. There must be a spreadsheet somewhere with the numbers written down.

I think Holdfast is onto something, if they hold off the announcement they can churn a few more out thousand of each for the overseas markets.

It seems to be two steps forward, one step back with these people.

Maybe they wish to placate the Australians in time for Christmas shopping.

18. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Copied from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precious_metal

Bullion coins' minting by national governments gives them some numismatic value in addition to their bullion value, as well as certifying their purity.

Silver coins have become popular with collectors due to their relative affordability, and, unlike most gold and platinum issues which are valued based upon the markets, silver issues are more often valued as collectables, far higher than their actual bullion value.

This above statement comes from wikipedia and obviously assumes that each of these silver bullion coins must be unique for the year minted on the coin. If this is not applicable (Perth Mint) and the "coin" can be minted anytime with the same date the "coin" can not be called a coin and can not be valued as collectable coin, only as colectabe silver.

To confirm this see also from wikipedia what a modern coin is.

Features of modern coins

Another rule is that the side carrying the year of minting is the obverse, although some Chinese coins, most Canadian coins, the pre-2008 British 20p coin, and all Japanese coins, are exceptions.

So the mintage date can sometimes be on the other side, but to be called coins every coin must carrying the year of minting. Since the reminted kooks do not do that, only the originally minted kooks can be called coins the rest is counterfeits even if the Perth Mint produces them and try to call them coins.

19. alor

if we point fingers, it must be PM, since they did not complete the job of minting the authorized quantities in the years they were supposed to be minted.

now PM went back to complete the job.

oops... there are mobs not happy with the intended action. halfway PM reversed action. :)

where is the black blanket, I need that to pack my coins.

with the new supersonic minting equipments running non-stop, how far has been done will have to be delivered. :(

(sounds a bit like first by inflation and then by deflation - kind of thing) OUR feeling HERE. badly hurt.

20. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Wow wonders never cease... this kind of stunt makes RCM milk spots looks attractive.

Like shitty film producers rehashing old stuff to milk it for all it's worth because being "original" is too damn hard