Panda Prices compared against other 1oz bullion coins

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by yennus, Jul 23, 2011.

1. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey there,

sorry I haven't gotten around to listing even more stuff lately... It's been crazy busy over on this end. I've got many messages I need to respond to; thanks heaps for your patience and understanding.

I thought you might like to view this chart for all you Panda fans out there.

Here is a chart of the latest prices of actual realized prices. This first chart data is primarily derived from the general public sales forum and the Panda forum (PPP). I'll try and list a comparison of other bullion prices received (e.g. Lunars, etc) later.

One thing that is obvious, Pandas appreciate in value - a trend that doesn't seem likely to be ending anytime soon.

It's also interesting to see that PAMPS, a lump of silver with no numismatic potential maintains its premium.

[​IMG]

I left out the 2000 Frosted Panda cos it's price of over $500 made the column shoot way out, making everything else pale in comparison.
    A 2003 Panda was also left out due to no bids.

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Thanks yennus, I saved that chart for future reference

3. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

The other factor to consider in here (and I'm not wanting to appear to "take sides" here, please don't misunderstand!) is the fact that folks buying on these forums are doing so from a trusted source, and in some cases friends - that does add some value. For example - I would be happy to buy a Panda or other numismatic coin from folks here, but I would not do so from other sources that were untrusted (eg. e-bay), simply due to the counterfeiting risk involved.

Just my 1oz worth ;-)

4. kaz

kaz New Member Silver Stacker

I would agree on that, I bought a Panda on ebay and I still dont know if it is genuine which is not a good feeling. :rolleyes:

5. yennus

My official recommendation is "Don't buy your pandas on Ebay." It is just not worth taking the risk or trouble when there are many other sources available.

It's like trying to buy a genuine diamond ring from Paddy's market.

But some people have had some good success from buying from Ebay.
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-12127-the-official-panda-buys-thread.html

For me, since I have good sources (Jim Roger sources), I don't mind going direct to the source, and sharing what I find with others.

6. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

A single sale on eBay isn't really representative either though is it? If you do a search for "1990 silver panda" the sale directly below the one you posted was a Buy it Now that sold for $229 US. At the end of the day something is only worth what someone at a particular point in time is willing to pay.

My personal belief is that direct comparisons between the value offered by different types of bullion is not really that helpful.

My 2 cents (rounded it's not worth much these days)

7. yennus

Hey don't be rude... My prices are very competitive, and are even cheaper than Roos in many cases! I have even requested some of the site sponsors on this forum to help me with the group buys so people like you can get affordable access to Pandas.

http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...da-2011-gold-value-pack-fractionals-open.html

If you can find better pricing than these, go and buy them!

8. yennus

Go ask jpangg and do a search on APMEX for what the price of a 1/2oz Gold 2003 Panda is. You can even go and do a search on Ebay for this one :)

9. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

If you think about eBay it's even worse than SS at judging prices. Most uninformed marketplace if there ever was one, eBay is.

Remember when the proof dragon 1oz went for $500+? Or when the holey dumps sell for below spot on eBay?

Can't argue with yennus' pricing on the 2011 Group Panda buy, definitely bargains.

The Silver pandas were also sold as auctions on here, which is what other people were willing to pay. It's not like yennus forced the pandas down their throats at crazy prices :p (although I think they wouldn't have resisted HAHAHA).

Relax guys, if you don't want to pay the "yennus" premium I will gladly let you pay the "fishball" premium ;) ;)

10. kaz

kaz New Member Silver Stacker

Elemental: Those 2011 Panda's for $19.95 are fake!!
    eBay seller: "Project is 100% true"

I was wondering how Mr Project is 100% true ended up. Please refresh my memory were there several years or one panda, how was it discovered that they were fake?

11. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Fishball premium you say?

Sure fishball I'll take all your pandas for $2 above spot per coin!

12. fishball

Got jpanggied enough this weekend already :)

Maybe next week hahaha or tomorrow at least!

The moral of this thread is: Do your own research regarding prices as you always should be doing anyway.

13. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Oh, so the term has been coined now has it?

Jpanggied - so basically to *ew someone?

<*comment edited by moderator.>

14. fishball

Jpanggied (verb): The act where one buys an item at an unbelievably low price such that it is an insane bargain to the buyer that the seller is left speechless.

Source: yennus

(Sorry for derailing your thread, but stop fighting over pandas lets have some fun!)

15. yennus

My dear silverstacking brother, thank you for your compliment.

Please tell me what the price of the 2011 Panda by Ozbullion is being sold for, and then find out what I sold/auctioned my 2011 Panda for. Then we can see the premium that "yennus" charges.

Then please tell me what price the following 2011 Panda just went for on ebay USA (160619710397).

A good name is worth more than silver and gold, and I'm really happy to keep making Pandas available at fair prices if people want them.

16. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

well, i jpangged yennus for $888 for 1/2 oz 2003 panda. As of date, I cant find anyone selling near that price.

well come on guys win some lose some, dont have to attack each other

17. yennus

I don't ignore the fact that newer coins have larger mintages. I embrace it.

It is good that Pandas are increasing in mintage. They are keeping up with demand. If it were not for the significantly larger mintages that 2010 and 2011 coins have, that would increase the barriers of entry to most of us Aussies - and it probably would have kept me out of this wonderful Panda Paradise.

Will this diminish the demand for Pandas by having a larger supply? If demand for Pandas and silver were static or declining then I would probably agree... but since demand for Pandas AND silver are increasing, I believe that increased supply will actually increase demand for Pandas.

I only really got into Pandas when I came across the 2009 and 2010 series. I'm sure most people in Australia that got into Pandas recently did so by holding a quality 2010 or 2011 Panda - and that started a beautiful story for more Pandas. That's what happened for me, and I'm sure it will happen to more people too, thus driving up demand for all Pandas across the board (not including the increasing price of silver, and the general increasing demand for silver).

Please try to understand that even with the increased mintage of 2011 Pandas, this pales in comparison with the amount of ASE/Maples being put out. America will mint more 2011 Pandas in a space of 1-2months. Then combine that fact with the size of China's population who can and do buy these coins at their local banks. It's a powerfully profitable mix.

18. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

Can't remember how it turned up they were fake but the fact that someone is selling at 1/2 of spot is a dead giveaway. I'm pretty sure another member bought a couple - interested to hear what happened to those?

19. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

I'd rather buy from Yennus than Ebay for the following reasons:
    - he lives near to me
    - payments are easier (Australian bank direct debit)
    - from time-to-time, there's discounts for further buys thus reducing initial premiums
    - he does all the legwork sourcing the Pandas and checking for flaws in-person etc etc (Ebay pics may not be true or may hide flaws even when additional pics at different angles are requested.).
    - the opportunity to jpanggy him when he ends his auctions at wierd times

I'm a happy customer.

20. yennus

Thanks Ouch, that's very kind of you. Much appreciated :)