New 2oz Perth Mint Silver coin with antiqued finish

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SilverScrat, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Where's the relief??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6_eWWfNB54

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6_eWWfNB54[/youtube]

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The relief comes later on realisation that the antiquing effect hides the milkspots.

3. Gatito Bandito

:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAuPb16jRjY

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAuPb16jRjY[/youtube]

4. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

So far it's not doing as well as I expected, but the mintage is 3000 so maybe it just needs a bit of time to pick up speed. From a collector standpoint I'm looking forward to getting it in hand. I recall Zeus took a bit of time to "catch on" before it took off to the moon LOL.

5. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

I kind of think this coin is in a different space than the Zeus coin. Australian mints make a ton of kangaroo coins. There's the RAM 1 oz silver coin with a different design every year. I think there's 2-4 different variants of that one. Perth Mint (?) or was it RAM has just came out with a new bullion silver one. Then you have the various gold kangaroos. So basically, if you need/want a coin with a kangaroo on it, you have lots of choices. Why buy this one over all the other ones?

For the Gods of Olympus series followed by the Goddesses, it seems like they were a kind of new concept when they came out. Now a year on, there are roughly 60 different mints <possibly a slight exaggeration> coming out with 2 oz antiqued silver "high" relief coins, including Perth Mint. The Gods of Olympus set seems to have done well. It seems like the Goddesses started off well, but they seem to be falling back to earth now, particularly with the plethora of similar coins now being available. Are the Norse gods series doing well? My impression is that they aren't, the market is saturated and everyones' sales are being cannibalized by all the other series.

I'll note that I like the design, and I think the display case makes it more convenient to put the coin somewhere easy to look at, which I'd like to do after spending $200 on it, rather than hiding it away in a drawer. Between getting burned a bit on the BTTF coins and seeing the mintage of 3,000 coins @ $200 each it just seems really likely that if I decide I "need" this coin I can pick it up 8 months from now at a much cheaper price.

ETA: I'll note that I think that the C.I.T. 1 oz ammonite coin with a mintage of 999 @ $200 and the 1 oz coloured peacock with a 999 mintage @ $175 or so are both much better deals, though the peacock is routinely selling for less than $175. I think that I'd like the 2 oz kangaroo coin @ $200 a lot more if mintage was 1,500 than 3,000. I'm just not seeing a reason for it to be sold at as big a mark-up as it's being sold at. The antiqued finish is getting to be run-of-the-mill.

6. SpacePete

Looks like there's a touch of relief, nothing too outstanding:

[​IMG]

7. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

If I remember correctly, they bill you near shipping time. They seem to ship 2-3 weeks after their release date. I'm not sure if they'd do it for overseas buyers, but in Australia, once you buy one, they send out monthly catalogs with the coins being released that month. Alternatively, if you go the Perth Mint website, there is a link to next month's releases just below the bottom right corner of the large image showing the latest releases/specials. I think their release date is the first Tuesday of each month...

If you're looking for the Zeus coin, there is a guy selling it in the Australia and New Zealand Trading Forum who is charging a few hundred dollars less than the price on eBay right now. With the foreign exchange rate right now, you might be able to get a decent price on it if he's willing to ship to the U.S. http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-71450-zeus-coin-for-sale-730.html

8. Gatito Bandito

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Now, now....you're not playing fair. You can't just go around squashing the adolescent wet dreams of the Perth Mint's attempt at high relief as you please by juxtaposing true high relief beauties next to their attempt at high relief. At least they are heading in the right direction....it's a fine beginning step for an attempt at high relief. So just dial down the insults and ridicule a bit, man. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol:

10. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where's the relief??
    he said its on the die

that is why the coin is deeply impressive

:)

11. mmissinglink

How do I spell relief?

Not R-O-L-A-I-D-S but rather "Chinese Medals"!

:D

All taunting aside (and I'll stop trivializing the rather low relief of the 2 oz. Kangaroo coin by juxtaposing against it actual high relief Chinese medals), this new Kangaroo coin is a huge step forward in quality of design from the laughable and pathetic Perth Mint Gods series. Only time will tell if the 3,000 mintage was too high as a couple of you suggested.

12. SilverScrat

SilverScrat Member

13. Gatito Bandito

Just having a bit of fun.. :D

Like I said, it's an "okay-enough" piece. I like the design & antiquing. As somebody previously mentioned, a bit too busy, but still pretty eye-catching.

The relief is sub-par, from what I can see so far. Then again, I have been spoiled. ;)

For something like this, I wouldn't mind having a slabbed 70 of it (if the budget were there, that is). But likely going to pass.

And I actually like the PM high-relief 2015 Kangaroo in 1-oz Ag -- so much so that I'm open to future coins in that style. Have considered going back in time for a couple others.

Even toyed with the idea of the *5-oz* high-relief 2015 Roo.. But ultimately, the dimensions are off (diameter too small, coin too thick), and the price-tag has scared me away. Still a remote possibility should the AUD get absolutely crushed.

I haven't given up on the PM re: their high-relief stuff.. They just need to keep pushing further.

14. mmissinglink

I like that coin set and I think it's quite cool....the difference though between "3-dimensional" coins like that and the high relief Chinese medals is that the former is cast and the latter is pressed....two very different techniques. When one thinks of the difference that way, one can only have deep respect for the incredible skill it takes to design high quality truly high relief sculpts and the awe inspiring technical achievement of that sculpted design to be engraved into a steel die that will be used to press these super high relief designs into metal under extreme pressure.

Once you hold a well designed high relief Chinese medal in your hand, you realize you are holding something very special.....especially with their low mintages which usually are far lower than 3,000.

That said, I welcome mints like the Perth Mint exploring high relief designs....sure beats the pants off of the typical flat disc bullion being spit out by the hundreds of thousands or millions.

15. silverfry

silverfry Member

Having put my own order in for the coin, I too agree that the higher mintage an cost is not as disiresble as the gods/goddesses coin however I still think it is a fantastic looking coin to add my collection and did not buy on the basis that is definitely going to be worth more in the near future. If you want the value equation bars are clearly the answer.

16. Gatito Bandito

I don't even consider that as a coin..

It's a minted disc used as a base with an obnoxiously-large (albeit pretty cool) ornamental piece glued on top.

17. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

Perth Mint via the video they posted on youtube confirmed the Roo is the first in a 3 coin series.

18. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Giving it a miss. How many kangaroo coins do we need?

19. Gatito Bandito

Depends..

Has there been a Kangaroo Skeleton coin yet?

(Only half-kidding.. :cool: )

20. SpacePete

Odin riding a skeleton kangaroo.