New 2014 Proof Britannia is an absolute beauty

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Jul 1, 2014.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's a very good price! I thought they'd sell for more.

I don't know what to do with my 2014 5oz... It's so nice even with spots.

I have some 1oz 2014 proofs I might sell.

2. Razz

Razz Member

Its like buying a ferrari with paint blisters only then u can go back and they fixe it because there name is on the line
    a low mintage coin top of the line with milkspots is unacceptable only altima is honest (chapeau) the rest just sells there coin with spots like nothing happened
    i got the 5 oz macau serie from 2008 till 2015 there top coin 500 /2000 mintage all in perfect condition so it can be done
    everybody should write to the royal mint and let them know to crazy almost criminal.

3. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Milk spot cannot be remove 100% BUT can be slight better if you send NCC and conserve it.

4. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the 4 official mints of China use diff blank processing procedures. You guy can compare shanghai Mints Vs. Nanjing mints. Panda expo 1, baby panda, classical garden (i.e summer palace and summer gate) - shanghai mints vs. Gold of wealth and Nanjing panda. You will realise the diff.

5. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Altima, you decided to sell your coin? Why now? That is a very good price for 2xpf70's, but since they have milkspots I'll give you spot price for them. :p

I think Bron mentioned in another thread that, Perth at least, uses a different method for the planchet for proofs so Perth proofs products aren't as susceptable to milk spotting.

6. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ahh. Don't we all want to pay spot price for modern numismatics! Perhaps in another life? I'm just selling them for issue price (which is why I asked in an earlier post).

Anyway, I highly doubt you would want another PF70 Britannia with milkspots. :D

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Altima, did you get my PM from yesterday?

8. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

So.... I decided to take my Britannia coin from the storage where she was patiently waiting since for around (?) 6 months. I bought it later, so I missed the hype. And paid for it a lot. Was stupid that I didn't buy it before, but I waited for too long. I contacted few sellers. 2 or 3 of them admitted that they have milkspots (their Britannias not them :p ). I was determined to find one in perfect condition even if it seemed impossible.
    Some guy told me that his Britannia is in perfect condition, so I bided like I'm Rockefeller. And won!
    I received coin in winter. As somebody mentioned here in some post, winter is maybe not good time to receive coins, due to temperature difference between outside and inside, and who knows what is happening with packages when they are transferred. Well usually is also colder in the airplanes where goods are stored.

I checked today my Britannia. I don't have magnifying glass or something and I didn't take her from vacuum sealed bag, but based on what I saw it looks exactly the same as when I sealed her and put away.
    I would be really sad if I see some milkspots.

I will maybe buy magnifying glass or something. Still this wouldn't be exactly "valid" test as I didn't do this when I got her and it might happen that milkspots were there before.

Anyway, I agree that with members here saying this is outrageous! Looks like big mints don't care much about their customers. Royal Mint posted wrong mintage number at least 2 times. I see various reasons for this. One is that until few people step together we cannot do much. Another is that some people buy stuff just to sell it later on. They don't care much about milkspots it seems until they can sell their stuff. Another is also "human naivety". When we want something really bad we will pay for it, even if it's not in "perfect" condition. Then some people just don't care about milkspots.
    I just hope my Britannia remain like this, and especially that mints will do something regarding this.

It's big SHAME that coin with such premium and such a great design is "ruined" by milkspots!!! :/

9. mmissinglink

10. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

I'm saddenned I could not buy the one from Altima. If anyone else is selling one in the US. PM me!

11. Altima

The coins have found a new home. Hopefully you'll get one!

12. Stark

"Only" 539 PF70:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/172235985607

If you want to sell a car and don't know what to do with the money.:p

Considering prices of 1 0z or their relative rarity on feeBay I'm sorry I didn't buy some of them as well.

13. mmissinglink

Are you specifically looking to buy a 5 ounce NGC PF70 slabbed version or a raw version?

They are expensive either way and I haven't seen this coin being offered anywhere else but on eBay (since Altima sold his here)...which is the largest online marketplace in the world for numismatic coins.

The only thing I can suggest for eBay is to check it fairly frequently for this coin. If you are quick enough and you see one offered at a lower price than the others, you could snatch it before someone else takes it.

I have the 5 ounce version.....looking at the 5 oz and the 1 oz version, one will readily see the obvious difference not only in size but in the design itself.

It's the difference in design and size that convinced me to not purchase the 1 oz and only purchase the 5 oz. I have no plans in the foreseeable future to sell mine, otherwise I'd PM you to make a deal. I just don't think the value of these will go down and I also want to be able to take it from my SDB once in a while just to marvel at it....it really is a most stunning proof coin in hand....the Royal Mint hit it out of the ballpark when they minted this coin.

14. Altima

If you look closely at the picture, milkspots have already started to develop on both sides of the coin.

I don't think I will spend over 8000 USD on a coin that has milkspots unfortunately.

15. Stark

Could be also dust on the coin capsule, but I guess you are right.

I will check mine again in near future. I cannot imagine my disappointment if I see some spots. I bought mine later, so I paid even more for it. Thus pain would be even bigger.

16. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

You want to know something funny? I sold mine to that guy who listed it for $8k on ebay. lol. I definitely don't think its worth that at all. I'm looking at either iteration that's cheap, If not sell, I have some pf70 libertads if you are interested in a trade. lol.

It's totally spotted. 100 %

17. mmissinglink

Proof Libs are nice coins though some collectors have stated that they have even seen a few proof Libs develop milk spots over time....I will give it some thought.

18. SpacePete

I have heaps of the 1oz but they just don't compare to the spectacular 5oz version. It's so sad about the milk spots.

19. Altima

Does the 1oz proofs have milkspots as well?

20. SpacePete

I have one at home and there no spots. Last time I looked at some of the others there were no spots either but they could just be slower to develop or less noticeable. I'll check next time I'm at my SDB.