New 2014 Proof Britannia is an absolute beauty

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

If a collector really wants a "First Struck" in 70 graded condition and all of them have spots....guess what? The seller may actually get that amount when the right buyer comes along.

Myself, as someone who has purchased and sold some coins, I root for both buyers and sellers in the sense that if they each are satisfied with a transaction, then they both win.

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wonder if there are any 5oz Britannias that aren't spotting?

4. SpacePete

Or maybe the Royal Mint is just taking the piss, old-school British style.

[​IMG]

5. mmissinglink

Wow, you even got the coin design on the bottle...good graphic arts work there SilverPete!

6. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I also decided to check mine. I vacuum sealed the coin, but it's not being stored in so "optimal" environment, air is very dry and cold, but the box it's not closed.

I should make tattoo of this coin on my back when it was still nice. ://///

7. mmissinglink

Cold dry air is best. As far as I understand milkspots, they can form even if a coin is vacuum sealed and stored in dry cool environment. I strongly believe that leaving a silver coin exposed to the elements will exacerbate any milkspotting problem that a coin is prone to.

So, in other words, you may not be able to prevent milkspotting by vacuum sealing a coin, but you may be able to keep the spotting from getting worse.

8. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

I would have to agree, the spots on my coin has more coverage than what yours shows. The growth of the milk spot virus looks relatively controlled in your pics. Put it back in a vaccuum sealed back until they find a cure for the silver milkspotting virus. I'm also curious if there are examples that do not have any spotting.

9. Altima

Just wondering, what were the issue prices for the 2014 5oz Proof Britannia again?

10. MasterID

MasterID Member

11. SpacePete

12. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Compared to that, it looks like I paid a healthy premium... But I wanted the coin.

13. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

Vacuum sealing will not prevent milk spots, milk spots come from part of the blank processing procedure before the coin is actually struck, so blame it on crappy blank processing. I am completely disgusted that these proofs have milk spots, I get it that bullion can have milk spots ( although they shouldn't either) but no way should these high value numismatic proofs have milk spots because of crappy blank /plancets. Very bad practice from the Royal Mint .

Everyone likes to go on about the Royal Canadian Mint and milk spots, but at least its only on the bullion coins and not their high dollar numismatic coins, I have bought 1000s of dollars worth of them ( not really proud of that though lol) and have yet to see a milk spot. So its obvious they know how to prevent them as other mints must know as well. But they choose not too, don't buy their product is the only answer it appears, maybe they will smarten up or go out of business.

14. kutylin

kutylin Active Member

Just curious. Do libertads have milk spots?

15. Northerncoins

The RCM doesn't have milk spots on there proof numismatic coins, only on their bullion coins. As i said before they know how to make coins without milk spoting but choose not too on their bullion coins.

Plus any mint that produces coins with milk spots be it bullion or proof numismatic coins should be kicked in the nuts....sorry but its just pissing me off now.

16. mmissinglink

I believe I have read here in the pages of the SS forum that some members have seen milk spots on some recent RCM proof coins. It actually doesn't make much sense that their bullion coins are so prone to milk spots but their proof coins are not. Proof coin blanks are the same as bullion blanks as far as I understand. The difference is the finishing treatment the blank gets; higher quality finish is a proof coin...same blank. That's my understanding.

If you have proof or very good evidence that the RCM uses different blanks for their proof coins than their bullion coins, please provide it.

Thanks.

17. Northerncoins

The only evidence i have is experience after having bought 1000s of dollars worth of their numismatic /proof coins, none have milk spots, only their bullion coins have milk spots , if anyone can show a RCM numismatic proof coin with milk spots i would be surprised, but anything is possible i guess.

So here is the challenge, show pictures of RCM non bullion coins with milks spots, because so far I have not seen any.

18. mmissinglink

The problem with that idea is that it proves little or nothing since milk spots can develop months after coins are purchased. Also, some or many of us will not bother going through our stack to find proof RCM coins....it's a hassle in a number of ways including having to take a trip to the SDB and spend time searching through the coins.

The only smart and good way to be clear is to ascertain (through writing) whether or not the RCM uses the same blanks for bullion and collector coins. Obtain that in writing, get the name of the RCM associate who provides the info, and come back here to present the findings.

Everything else is just anecdotal.

19. AgAuSwe

AgAuSwe New Member

A few pics of spotted RCM numis over at Coin Community, look at the last post on page 1.
    As chance would have it, directly below your own post in that very thread.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=188964

20. Altima