How many people stack silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SilverLove, Feb 23, 2013.

1. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

there's probably 20 million mobile phones just sitting in peoples drawers, and it's growing as shelf life for a mobile is reducing all the time.
    lets just say there's $4 of value in a scrapped mobile, well, that's $80 million just sitting in drawers.

if just 200 of us put in 100 oz silver into a kitty, we'd have enough to buy the machine, advertise, collect and process those 20 million phones, iphones & if.cks.

or, if anyone here is holding some of them junk mobiles in their drawers, send them to me and i'll ensure the're properly recycled.

2. JollyKillBill

JollyKillBill Member

I was thinking we are the .1% or more then likely lower

3. Billythekid

Billythekid New Member

My workplace has 5 workers (some would say only 3 or 4 ! )

A couple of months ago one of them says to me, "I'm thinking of buying some silver Bill...' (showing me some pics of 1 kg and 10 oz bars on the Perth Mint website).

I had never mentioned my stacking to him so can't claim any influence there. As far as I know he isn't a member of this forum.

So that's 2/5 in my workplace, both of us discovering the joy independently. Sure we talk about our latest acquisitions - now we know what each other does and he is also well on the way to being a real stacker.

Bill

4. GBN

GBN Member

There are about 100 employees an my workplace and I would wager my stack that there is not more than 1 other stacker there.
    Most don't even realise that their super is invested in the share market, most think that the government is looking after it for them.

I would make the same bet about my extended family (probably another 100 people)

I would also wager that less than 5 of these 200 people know that money is created by the banks when they issue loans, they think that in order for a person to borrow a dollar, somebody has to save a dollar.

I am certain we are much, much less than 1%.

5. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

When I first bought Mike Maloney's Gold and Silver book I had a few friends over. I left the book on the coffee table casually like I do with all books I'm currently reading and we sat around the living room for a while chatting as you do. One guy with lots of sense and ability to gain/raise his income finally saw the book and said: "Gold and Silver? Wow you're really old fashioned."

We discuss shares and property and classic cars and potential for artwork investing, but this circle of friends overlooks precious metals entirely.

6. Cind3r

Cind3r Active Member Silver Stacker

The cost of this operation would be so high that you could bumb the silver price up by buying silver instead of printing flyers.

Makes me sad thinking how unaware the general population is.

7. finchy

finchy New Member

^
    i just printed off 1000 flyers and covered 2 small suburbs for my business.
    just under $250 for good quality ones.

Power of advertising
    Coles,woolworths,big W all print flyers for a reason.

Anyway back to thread topic...

8. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

If you count jewellery then it would be quite a few.

9. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

I think you will find more than a few Old school farmers in the bush that have a few gold bars burried in their paddocks

10. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

In a regional city of 40k I think there's just a couple of us. From my experience the business/hobby of stacking is looked upon as odd. Average folks don't seem at all concerned or interested.

11. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Exactly! I had someone try to make fun of me in the car on the way to work when we detoured past the p.o. so I could pick up a package, and pulled out some silver. When I explained how I enjoyed my hobby and it sort of counts as abit of a savings with a little gamble involved he quickly shut up

12. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

I almost know all the local PO staff on a first name basis I'm in there every other day. One asked me if I collected stamps. Nup silver coins & bars I replied. Funny she says you don't look like someone who would be interested in that. Immm what should I look like I say. Dunno kinda nerdy I spose she replied but I'm thinking she meant just weird.

13. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

Mother in law prefers in form of jewellery lots of 22ct stuff.
    Father in law collects coins - wont buy bullion lol, just proofs.
    Some people collect silverware.
    Some pre - decimal
    Some people drink it!
    Stacking precious metals can take a few different paths.

14. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree.

I think people here have a confirmation bias that it is higher as they notice it more/speak to more people about it.

I think 1/10th of 1% is more realistic.

Imagine the MCG on grand final day, are we really suggesting that there would be 1,000 in the stands that stack silver?! (Even with the bogan/white australian slant).

15. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Tin foil hat

16. SilverLove

SilverLove New Member

Great responses from you all, I think the majority of us believe there are probably a lot less than we think that actually stacker silver. Less than 1% is probably a fair call atm.

I'm sure once it gets to 2%, 3% or 5% the awareness of real money will really start to spread!

17. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

Just another straw in the wind, but if nothing else, the Cyprus shakeup is putting a few subliminal messages out there. Alan Kohler introduced the graph of the Dow in gold ounces on the nightly ABC financial report and pointed out that it was at a low in gold terms... the next slide was gold up 1.9%.

Oh yes - Serious Stackers would probably be 0.5 per cent at *most*, I would think. :D

18. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

DanielM--- So the post office chick thinks you're weird? Wow! I hope you realize what a compliment that is. When one of the PO weird-O's thinks you're weird, there could be no higher compliment to how absolutely normal-looking and normal-acting you really are. If acting and appearing normal is your goal, I'd say you've got it NAILED! Congrats!

But -- back to the thread subject so that nobody accuses me of being a thread-hijacker or postal worker hatred-instigator..... My original thought in this thread was under 1% (in the US). The more I think about it, the smaller my estimate gets. After 3 weeks of reconsidering my original thought, I believe it's way under 1% of the total adult population. If I define "serious stackers" as those who put serious time, effort and money into building their hoard, make doing so a significant priority in their life and use stacking as a major mode of personal savings storage, then I'd guess that group can't be more than a VERY small fraction of 1%.

19. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

Post people are pretty crazy this clip from Seinfeld pretty much says it all Mail never stops; therefore consider it a compliment like Freddy said [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL6ubXD9ZjY[/youtube]

20. davo0192

davo0192 New Member

seriously i think we should get the word out for more people to start stacking..it drives up demand ;)