How many people stack silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SilverLove, Feb 23, 2013.

1. SilverLove

SilverLove New Member

Something I've often wondered is how many people in Oz (or the world) actually stack physical silver (or gold).

The best answer I've recevied by bullion dealers is 1% or less. Personally I think it's probably less than 1%.

This is actually encouraging, because history shows that the best asset class to be in is the one that no-one knows (or talks) about, before the masses suddenly rush in at the end.

Would be keen to hear what others think is their best guess percentage wise....

2. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

There are less stackers than there needs to be to drive demand and prices to da moon. :lol:

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bullion?! Isn't that only for rich people and banks?

4. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Thats what i hear through the grapevine ...silver ?....... no silver around here i think you got the wrong site silver love :p:

My estimation would definately be single digits

5. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

Interesting question (and information) you raise, SilverLove. I was talking about this with the better half just the other day, and I was estimating no more than 1% myself (and I was talking not quite specifically about Silver, but Silver & Gold & other PM's in general, and I also discounted owning a modest amount of jewellery).

Sure, most folk have some very small amount of PM's in jewellery they own or wear, but when times turn bad, this will not be enough to make much of a difference to their outcome. Also, I considered that crowds like GoldBuyers have hoovered up a lot of people's old/spare jewellery... I will never forget reading a quote on their site from a customer, which was along the lines of "I didn't know this old jewellery was worth so much... thanks to your cheque for $350.00, I am now able to afford Christmas presents".

When you stop and really analyse that statement - this poor person has now traded off what was possibly the only true store of value they owned - in return for some shiny baubles and trinkets for one Christmas.

I suspect the majority of folk are in the same boat, and the day is fast approaching when these sorts of transactions will be revealed for what they truly are - yet another transfer of wealth from the not-so-well-off to the wealthy.

6. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

Earth population: 7 bil ppl
    1% would be 70 mln ppl
    stacking means not 1 oz but continuing increase in total weight, so let's say each of those 70 mln have on average 5 oz of silver to be qualified to be called stacker today ))
    it brings us to 350 mln oz of silver per 1%

If it is big or small number I have no idea :)

currently I'm surrounded of people who don't give a damn about precious metals ... not even one

7. Byron

Byron Guest

I think its a little higher than what most of us think. Imo it is between 2 to 5 % of the Oz population that either actively stacks or has an existing stack of PMs.

My rationale is that a significant proportion of the very large and ever increasing migrant population of Indians, Chinese and other SE Asians hold or are actively adding some PMs to their assets.

Add to that many older Greeks and other southern europeans that have some holding primarily in gold.

8. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

i think its more than 1 % in australia now. I know you said you dont count people with modest amount of jewelery but people form indian background have a lot of jewelery gold mostly. They dont consider themselves stackers but they are just that. I dont have the latest census statistics but pretty sure they are more than 1 % of the population. It would be interesting to know what the average amount of gold people have in australia from jewelery and i'm guessing average would be the wedding bands + engagement rings. Therefore modest amount of jewelery would mean approx less than 10 grams of pure gold. This is only one small section of the community that was looked at. Then you have the numismatics who collect it as a hobby but wouldnt call themselves stackers. And you have people that have large amount of gold/silver in things like cutlery sets etc.

Gold in western countries wasnt only demonetised you could also say it was de-jewelerised as well (if i can use that word). The Eastern population still see gold as the main type of jewlery while if i pass through Queen ST (Brisbane) you will see plastic, plated/nonplated base metals, pearls, silver and very little gold on ladies.

So here(Australia) i still think its a small population less than 5%( more than 4 being stackers that dont identify themselves as stackers but have a lot of wealth in that form and rest closer to 0.5 % being stackers that see themselves saving silver gold to avoid inflation.

in india that percentage would be very high

Edit: just realised you were talking about silver what i said above is for pm in general

9. finchy

finchy New Member

At the time of posting this theres currently 5205 registered members here on silver stackers,i dare say you would have the majority of stackers in australia registered here on this forum (mostly) + add some for all the unregistered lurkers + the international members thrown in the mix

Some could be old inactive accounts -however not sure If/when a member account expires?

As a reference i done some research & the total amount of registered users here would be seated comfortably in the sydney opera house,
    which holds a seating capacity of 5738

Id use all this as a very rough estimate as to how many stackers are in oz though
    Pretty small numbers doesnt matter how you look at it - we are a rare breed of people :)

10. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

In the US, I'd be amazed if the number of real stackers (bullion hoarders) is even 1% of the population. Numismatic collectors are probably only a very, very small fraction of 1%.

11. finchy

finchy New Member

Should organise a massive Australian home letterbox spam attack
    Featuring a newsletter on precious metals and where the economy is heading
    That might bump the prices up a little,once people wake up & smell the Ag & Au

Sigh .. if only people knew .. I give up trying to tell people -too conditioned to consume & never question the system put before them & origins of their fiat

12. greyman68

greyman68 New Member

Silver, what Silver, oh you mean the Silver that was lost in the terrible boat Fiasco of 2012. Sorry Officer lost my entire stack on a fishing trip near Christmas Island, yeah over the really deep ocean trench there,you know the one. ;)

13. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

1% of Australians?

220,000?? I doubt it very much. Maybe 22,000 TOPS!

Apart from SS people, I have not yet met any with any idea what is probably to come, and certainly not any that are preparing for it via PMs. I have learned to keep my mouth shut in general conversation.

JMO

OC

14. Guest

Guest Guest

It excites me that bugger all people stack. When people notice the dollar isn't buying what it should a great many of them will pull their head out of the sand, look to history and start stacking. The silver market is so small it's great....just a tiny percentage of the money floating around is needed for the silver prices to explode. 90% of the upside generally comes in the the last 10% of the time.

15. StevoDaHero

StevoDaHero New Member

We are the 1% (now I know how it feels x])

16. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

for the past 10 years, more than 7 billion ounces of silver were produced.
    if each person has 1 oz, we all have one ounce each,

fast forward for the next ten years, we need to double the holding of silver to two ounces.

is that even possible :lol: given that the take up rate of much less than ten percent out of 7 billions people ?
    the 90 - 95% unwanted silver need to be pick up by those people who frequent here, whom we called upon as "silver stackers"

it is such a big task, to be picking up another 7 billion ounces in the next coming 5 - 6 years. :rolleyes:

17. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

out of that 7 bil produced silver, how much was wasted for good? on those iPhones, iPads, iF.cks ...
    how much was bought as an investment or collectible item ... from this pool we should count the stackers, not those who bought wedding ring and are proud to be called stackers ... these are not stackers ... they are consumers of metal

18. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

There has got to be at least 10-15 people here that stack silver (and gold) wouldn't you think , what percentage is that?

19. valuecreator

valuecreator Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

a lot more now than ten years ago, I can tell you that... :cool:

20. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

I seriously doubt that 1% stack silver or gold, if you seriously think about it I don't think it's possible with today's mentality/personality, personally I don't know anyone that has any gold or silver bullion. I talked to one friend from work who was the last person I expected to know anything about bullion/America/debt/money printing but never asked him about owning pm's