Home Safes - DON'T.

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by goldpelican, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When I hear people talking about situational awareness, layers of security, defence in depth etc it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Makes me think of someone who will not have problems and if they do they will have minimal impact.

2. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

Adapt, adjust and overcome. As they say.

3. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

What a topic...From safe safes to safe dogs..

Now I don't know too much about safes but safe dogs, well thats another story. peaking from experience as a Postman many years ago.

I agree with Boston The Australian Cattle dog was my biggest problem. Why? It was not be because they were the most ferocious but because they were the sneakest.. Four times I was the victim of a cattledog attack, twice by the same dog. They don't bark to give any warning but sneak up behind you and give a sharp nip on the ankle but they don't rip and tear.

Two of my dog stories.. Whilst delivering mail on a stretch of road where houses were 200 yards apart, I left my pushbike on the edge of the road, walked to the letter box 5 yards away, when a large cattle dog came charging out through the opened farm type gate. I didn't have time to get back to my bike, so I clambered up on top of a large flat gate post..Everytime I tried to get down he would come tearing around the other side..He got so worked up that he had froth flying out of his mouth.. He was determined to get me but I was saved when his owner came home and settled him down. I was finally able to make friends with him and even gave him a pat under the supervision of his owner. Then i was on my bike out of there.

I had been delivering mail to this house only 300yards or so from the house where the cattle dog nearly got me ^^^.for several weeks and I had not seen hide nor hare of any dog. ame story, left the bike on the dirt road, walked over to the mailbox and was just putting the letters in the letterbox when a german sheppard latched onto my arm and sunk its teeth right into my arm.. I lifted the dog with my free arm right off the ground, and crushed him into an electric light pole some 3 yards away. The dog let out a terrible yelp and limped away whilst the lady owner appeared and abused me for hurting her dog..The PO paid for my tetnus needle and sent her the bill or else her mail would not be delivered.

Anyway I digress, now back to where I hide my silver and no I don't own any big dogs..Just 2 small yappers, one kick and they're gone.

Regards Errol

4. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

:lol: that is funny. The underachiever comment was actually a general statement and not directed at you personally.

I do get narky when people use the excuse for liking a dog in how tough it is and your comment on it was a good dog because it could bring down a young bull triggered a response that i usually reserve for stupid people that i meet occasionally.
    Apologies. Enjoy your Ridgebacks and i'll enjoy my Jacks.

5. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No offense taken. :)

6. excalibur

excalibur Member Silver Stacker

Stacker Survey-
    How many ounces of silver do you think justifies a safety deposit box?
    What volume of ounces would you fell comfortable with hiddden around the house?
    I think stackers have a different security mentality to collectors- I would think collectors like to keep their coins at hand to enjoy??

7. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Has anyone thought or installed CCTV...$350 for 4 cameras.

What do you think about CCTV to guard your silver.

At least you may see you the culprits are.

Regards Errol 43

8. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Or this
    [​IMG]

9. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Where is that from thatguy?

10. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

I have been studying the photos over and over,
    There are a few things that don't stack up.
    Look at the position of the safe hard to secure it on that slab if you call it that. It's not against the wall , wall looks like single skin.
    Looks like some kind of drainage system under the edge of the safe.why would you install a safe in this environment?
    Looks like it was cut open a while ago as the steel shows rust and concrete is dark, I break concrete slabs often and even the old ones are white inside.
    My thought is that this safe was placed in the corner of the garage for storage by a previous owner, when they left they did not want it or could not move it so left it behind. New people moved in, curiosity got the better of them and they spent time cutting it open with an angle grinder to find it empty.
    Still a good warning to everybody that safes are only a deterrent.

11. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've dealt with a lot of safes and security systems for work, but before doing anything, ask yourself "Will having a safe improve my situation or will it make it worse?"

Classic example: I had a client who wanted a safe to keep cash in overnight. They wanted people to know that the cash wasn't easily accessible to reduce the risk of hold ups so there was discreet signage around the venue ("Staff don't have access to cash", "Time delay safe in use", etc).

They got robbed one night. The thieves got about $7,000 worth of cash and did $40,000 worth of damage getting it.

My all time favorite is the biometric fingerprint readers from a few years ago that didn't have capacitive sensing to check for an electrical pulse on contact with the reader. Essentially, they couldn't tell if the finger was attached to a living body.

Instead of bashing you on the head and taking your keys, the best way for an attacker to breach this system was to bash you on the head and chop off your finger.

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, I would testify in court that that account is incorrect. I can't discuss further details though other than to say an acid substance was used to tamper with evidence.

13. Ghost

Ghost Member Silver Stacker

Good luck to someone cutting their way into my safe like that, it's a single wall (3mm) steel gun cabinet, lined with wood and used to store my powder supply for reloading...

Would be like pulling the pin on a giant grenade...

14. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

once the spot the cameras they simply steal the DVR. There are other options though

15. pegleg

pegleg Member

16. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

interesting....will the owner be charged for a manslaughter if this shit happens?

17. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

18. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

that's a great idea!!
    it would destroy your coins but they wouldn't do it again

19. menotcrimex

menotcrimex Member Silver Stacker

Yup if you hide or secure your dvr well there remains a chance they spot the camera's and walk out.

However cctv only catches extra dumb thieves that don't cover up!

The dumb ones come in with balaclava get your shit and then offload it at the nearest pawn brokers only to be caught on cctv in the shop!

I've got a mate who is a fan of several different stand alone security options so if they bypass the main alarm system they will be unaware they will trip several more the further they get into the property.

The funny thing is to my knowledge there is nothing of value to steal lol

And that's the key! Don't tell people if you have pm's. I only know his security layout because he asked me to install it.

20. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That is awesome, "it is my safe, I was worried about kids stealing my fireworks so I put it in the safe to keep it secure so no-one would get hurt....... How was I to know some idiot would try and cut it open with a gas axe????? I am going to sue there estate for the damage they caused to my property due to their reckless actions"