High Relief designs are here to stay!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mmissinglink, Aug 16, 2015.

1. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It looks marvellous. I like this rather than the high relief gods

2. Steel_Eyes

Steel_Eyes New Member

I like the privateer series although I thought the second coin wasn't as good as the first. That said, those two ounce rounds were slightly below $40 when I purchased them. I'm not sure how a premium that goes over $100 for a high relief coin is justified. Granted I'm not a silversmith nor have I toured a mint, so maybe it is. I just suspect the price tag has quite a bit to do with low mintage and similar factors designed to drive up the price more so than materials and labor, but who knows? I could very well be wrong.

I'd say let liquidity be a factor in determining whether or not you buy an expensive coin. If people don't know about the coin, then you'll probably have a smaller audience. If the coin is just stunning, then maybe it won't matter for some collectors that stumble across it. Still, with a high price tag, I'd hope that the coin has a large recognition.

For instance, I don't think the Gainesville Headless Horseman round looks particularly good and I can't imagine many people knowing about it unless they're on a board like this or shop with Gainseville coins. So I wouldn't want to buy it far beyond spot (or at all). They're $5 over spot right now. Yeah, I'll pass.

3. andrewlee10

If you priority liquidity paper will be better NOT physical silver especially numic. Numic is hard assets which need to wait for willing buyer and seller. Some item like KG gold coin might wait few years or even longer to sell.

4. Luker

Luker Member

Liberty Island & Cleopatra Ultra High Relief Silver Rounds & A Kangaroo Video by SalivateMetal :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSm6zWUUOYo[/youtube]

Cheers,
    Luker

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I just came across that video on YouTube, Luker, and I was going to post the link here. Obviously you beat me to it.

I am really impressed by the quality of the Elemetal Mint American Landmarks series....far better than the vast majority of 1 oz silver coins produced by all other mints....which are very inferior to these high relief rounds. And those inferior coins cost more than these 2 oz beauties....of course I will choose these gorgeous 2 oz Elemetal Mint rounds over costly inferior coins. Just for comparison, a truly boring 2015 1 oz silver proof ASE is $49 straight from the source (the US Mint).

The 2 oz American Landmark series silver rounds are similar to a proof coin (mirrored fields, frosted devices) and are less than half the cost per ounce....that's what I call a bargain for a top quality silver product.

6. Luker

Luker Member

7. andrewlee10

Nice. Very original. Will others start to copy their ideas and make this as a coin series like all the gods release recently ?

8. mmissinglink

The Elemetal Mint is producing some of the best looking rounds I've ever seen.

That looks a little like barsenault! Don't mess with his silver! :)

9. andrewlee10

he need another big GUN

10. mmissinglink

Certainly I haven't shared news of all the high relief coins that have been released over the past couple of years, but the trend is actually intensifying, not slowing down.

For example, just today the Royal Canadian Mint announced it's newest member to the high relief coins of the world family. Not my cup of tea but seems like virtually every mint is doing high relief these days:

http://www.mint.ca/store/coins/coin...516293&spReportId=NjgwNTE2MjkzS0#.VmZS_16ydOI