High Relief designs are here to stay!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mmissinglink, Aug 16, 2015.

1. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They issue many sizes, color and design.

I prefer this and just buy one. No sure to keep it or sell it at the moment.

The cartoon mythical animal is ......

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The idiotic suggestion that the only place that one should avail them self of as a seller is a LCS is beyond ludicrous.

Only a moron would not use eBay (the world's largest single venue / portal for the sale of coins on the retail / after market level) to sell coins if they knew that they could get the most profit from selling through eBay. If the person with a coin does not care how much they lose in the process of parting with the coin after having purchased it, then that person is much better off just giving that coin away instead of trying to make absurd suggestions that a LCS is the only place one should look to sell a coin.

Plenty of people are buying many of the modern collector semi-numismatic coins. Not that I have wanted to sell more than a couple, but the couple modern collector coins I did sell on eBay, I made a profit on.

Some modern collector coins have made people great returns on the flip of those coins.

I have no interest in a coin just because it is old or has been in circulation. There's nothing necessarily special about old circulated coins but if someone wants to spend their money on buying some of them, who cares? I'd much rather buy a coin, medal, or round minted in 2015 that has a noteworthy message or an appealing design than old coins that don't. That said, I have a few coins and medals from the 19th and early 20th Centuries but they are no more special to me than any of the coins I have from 2014 and 2015 just because they are older.

And, the fact that silver spot has gone down as much as it has over the past 4 years makes for a terrible argument in favor of buying blobs to flip for an intended profit during this period of time. I have heard of far more instances of people turning a profit flipping modern semi-numis than people selling blobs in the past few years.

It's just shear stupidity that some people condemn modern semi-numi coins for the reasons they usually do. That doesn't mean that all modern collector / semi-numi coins are for everyone or will necessarily make the person profit on a flip....I have never contended that.

My point is....to each their own and stop with the stupid condemnation of coins you just happen to not like for no good reason. If you don't like a coin, just shut up, stop trolling, and move along (create your own thread) unless you have something sensible to add to the conversation....which could be as simple as "I don't like the design because it celebrates a terrible person" or something like that but if your idea of slamming a coin just because you think it's too expensive as compared to a blob while not taking into consideration all factors of design, production, and distribution costs, then you are just talking stupid-talk.

3. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I have one of the high relief pirate coins (no prey no pay) and it is cool. But I think the designs on those above coins are kind of ugly. The obverse looks good though.

I guess it's good though that private coin companies and maybe even gov mints have found a way to make extra $$$ off of PM bugs even though the price of silver is so low. I wonder if the cost to produce such a coin costs these mints any more than a standard bullion coin that has a normal 2-5 dollar premium? If not, I wonder what would justify such a high price relative to spot?

PS I am a capitalist so I am not objecting to a mint making a big profit off of PM bugs, if that is what is happening.

Just my opinion.

Jim

4. mmissinglink

Hi Jim,

I have no problem whatsoever with the post you've made.

What appeals aesthetically to one is not going to necessarily appeal to another...that's just life, and there's nothing wrong with expressing what appeals to our taste.

As for the cost, I am convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that the Swiss Wildlife coins cost considerably more to design, sculpt, produce trials, produce multiple obverse and reverse dies and hubs (because ultra high relief designs tend to break dies due to the extra stikes and additional pressure), mint, produce COA's and packaging, etc than any blob of the same weight that has ever been produced....period. It's completely counter-intuitive to think otherwise (not that I'm saying you do, but some stackers certainly seem to believe that).

After all, if one were to actually believe that the mint producing this coin series (the Poland Mint I think?) was only interested in ruthlessly exploiting coin bugs why wouldn't they set the ask price to $1 million per coin and concoct a wild claim that might support such an outlandish price?

These mints don't operate like that at all from what I can tell. Not that they aren't looking to make a bit of a profit but there are much easier ways to scam people than to maintain a modern mint and produce ultra high relief coins with really neat designs on them made from .999 silver.....right? Common sense tells us that.

5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Bloody hell! I already let go of this stupid, ugly thing but you just can't stop, can you? Nobody else presenting you a target for your venom right now? Please retract your fangs, roll your forked tongue back into your damn mouth and give it a rest.

6. mmissinglink

Fat Freddy, I already told you that trolling like you are doing is not welcome here. You have done nothing but spewed your vile rhetoric and made ad hominem attacks. Do you get jollies from your hate spewing?

The first thing you did in this thread is disparaged coin collectors for no good reason and with no sensible explanation at all by labeling them as "rabid devotees" just because you like to start trouble. You are nothing but a trolling trouble-maker.

I would want nothing more than for you, for the first time, to try to engage here in a sensible discussion but you are proving that you have no intention of wanting to engage in meaningful discourse.

You've had plenty of opportunities to write something that is not troll-like and that is sensible but you've refused to take the opportunity to do otherwise.

No one else here is acting out like you....so maybe you should take that as the clue that you've been called out by me for what you are doing.....trolling for attention.

Get a grip on life or take that attitude somewhere else, please.

7. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Anyway..

So, what are others' thoughts on the Perth Mint high-relief 1-oz Kooks, Kangaroos & Lunars?

I've thought about picking up a selective few in the past, but never got around to it.

How are they in person?

8. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

This is the high relief you should buy. If I were a billionaire I would buy one of these and make it my gold "fondle coin". LOL!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1907-ST-GAU...8749a4&pid=100338&rk=3&rkt=30&sd=400948347214

Jim

9. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

I have a bunch of them and they all look nice to me and are fun to collect as something different. I would not say terrific though. The high relief concave design is pretty small on a 1 ounce coin so it is not quite as impressive as the larger coins IMHO.

10. Gatito Bandito

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly be stacking them, heh.

But one here, one there, ain't gonna hurt nobody.

At 32.6 mm diameter, it's right at my lower limit for Ag..

Though with the right design, it can definitely still work.

I understand why they do it, but not sure how much I'd like / hate the whole concave thing -- especially in proof. Something I'm going to have to see in-hand.

Heck, who knows, maybe I'll love this style. Will have to see more photos & videos before pulling any trigger.

As you said, it's something different, to help spice up the ol' collection that much more. Looks to be some pretty cool ones.. :cool:

11. mmissinglink

The 1 oz size is too small and the design suffers from that. The rim and the space between the rim and the design can take up an extraordinary percentage of the face of a coin. Unless the design of a 1 oz coin, medal, or round is rimless, then it's just not going to work well in my opinion. I own a few of the high relief proof coins from the Perth Mint.

That's why, the Swiss Wildlife design works so well in my view....it's a rimless coin and zero space is taken up by the rim and the space between the rim and the design.

12. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

so wheres the trashmouth drivel exactly? was it deleted?
    I only see him replying with valid points in a civil manner unlike some people here.
    It's pot calling the kettle black, you seem more than willing to share your opinion on the perth mints offerings afterall.

Fat Freddy, let them be and don't waste your time. This isn't a thread welcome to rational thought it seems, and with that said, you can revert to using me as your target missinglink :lol:

13. mmissinglink

Aureus, stop acting like a troll. Your only intent here is to disrupt, not to engage in meaningful discussion.

If you would have bothered to read the vile comments Fat F made instead of you just wanting to troll here, you'd have noticed the very first comments made by Fat F were disparaging attacks of coin collectors. Predictably that troll also made ad hominem attacks on me instead of writing something sensible.

Then, after I slapped him with logic, he made comments that had nothing to do with his original absurd trolling rant though only a fool would believe otherwise.

Aureus, stop acting like a troll and beat it, please. Clearly you came here not to discuss the topic but to wantonly attack, provoke, and disparage. That's the mark of a troll.

14. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Member

It's my opinion that they're not unique enough to pay that kind of money for.

15. Gatito Bandito

The deed is done..

Gotta try at least one!

I figured if the design was good enough to make the cut for one of my few fractional goldies, then it's good enough for this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZfftm1Befg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZfftm1Befg[/youtube]

Should arrive within a week.. :cool:

16. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

can you show me the vile comments please? I seriously must be missing them.
    As for being a troll, I came to defend someone from your unwarranted abuse,which, while off-topic seemed warranted to me.
    We can co exist on the forum just fine if you don't give me reason to post. I can ignore you up to a point, but when you start aggressively targeting someone I won't (and to some extent) can't keep my mouth shut.

Freddy seems like a knowledgeable bloke from what I have read, and unprovoked attacks scare people like him off - I want people like this on the forum. You pick fights out of nowhere mate, it's really baffling to me. There are people here that have been in the game many years more than you have, you've got to tone down on thinking you're right all the time.

That's constructive criticism with just enough tact to not warrant an onslaught of abuse. Now i'll leave you and your threads be, just don't give me reason to be the voice of reason again.

17. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

I kind of like this one. This should give you an idea of the relief to expect. Nothing like the medals you guys love but overall a nice coin IMHO.

[​IMG]

18. mmissinglink

@ Aureus, clearly you are not interested at all in anything but disruption of this thread...that's the mark of a troll.

I've already explained to you where you can find vile, inflammatory remarks and ad hominem attacks by Fat F but you simply choose to stick your head in the ground and you choose to not read the comments that prove my points. You clearly have zero interest in an honest and objective discussion about this so please take your trolling somewhere else.

People who are not trolls have added comments which stick to the spirit of this thread (which is sharing what they think are neat high relief coins / medal / rounds)

Troll-behavior like yours Aureus and Fat F, is that which comes onto threads not to stick with the spirit of the thread but to disrupt it by any means possible.

So please take your trolling elsewhere....this thread is for sharing high relief coins / medals / rounds that members like (find appealing).

19. mmissinglink

@ mtforpar

I have a few PM high relief proof coins and they are decent for what they are...I just wish they would mint them onto blanks that are at least 2 ounces or bigger because the one ounce (38.5mm diameter?) size is just not adequate space to showcase a detailed high relief design...in my view. Maybe I have gotten very accustomed to the exquisiteness of the big ultra high relief Chinese medals.

20. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Member

Just because they disagree with you doesn't make them a troll. Just because they pointed out your inability to take constructive criticism does not make them a troll. Just because they don't have the same interests as you doesn't make them a troll.

You consistently and constantly attacking them make you a troll. You being run off other forums for the same behavior makes you a troll.

So, the next time you disagree with somebody, make your argument against their opinion, not them.