"Exit" Strategies

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sian Marie, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Which is a nice enough idea which I have been knocking around for a few years but there is a significant cost in both time and resources to do this. You need to go out and buy some decent crucibles and molds, the more you do the cheaper this becomes but there is still a certain amount of initial outlay, you can get by with old steel cans and muffin trays but you will still need to find a way to heat the stuff to melt it, I have seen some backyard set ups burning waste oil but otherwise you are probably going to have to pay for fuel and the electricity to blow the air in if you build your own smelter or cans of gas if you are going to use a hand torch. You then need the flux and if anything goes wrong and the pour doesn't work you either lose the silver or have to start again

Once you have poured your bar you then have to convince someone that it is silver as you say it is, you would need to pay to have it assayed or no one would belive you. And then you have to convince someone that buying poured bars of varying sizes and weights is not an issue.

On the plus side, the people who do pour their own bars and polish them up can really make a nice job of it and get a fair amount of money for the bars, which is why I am still considering it.

2. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

There is no exit, just accumulation and well timed partial conversion to other assets e.g. property.

[​IMG]
    Source: Ron Swanson

3. Sian Marie

Sian Marie New Member

That said, with further irrational exuberance, I'd like to state for the record that when Bernanke testified to Ron Paul that gold was not money I thought he was a big fat Gluteus maximus and still do.

4. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. alor

This is the BEST and BIGGEST EXIT STRATEGY that I have seen in 40+ years :lol:

If you can not bail out your paper assets out, get yourself out, ie jump SHIP

6. Sian Marie

Sian Marie New Member

How does one without bank participation set up a situation where one borrows against the bullion as security to purchase another hard asset, say real estate? Just brainstorming here.

I think the Silver Doctor gentleman with the Youtube channel may have a system in place but I don't want to comb through his videos to find out what he's talking about. Regardless, I've been wondering about such a process myself - borrowing against ones own stash. I know they do it in some types of insurance policies where you can borrow against your own account and pay yourself back the interest. Again, just thinking out loud. Sure would rather keep a stash than have to straight out swap it.

7. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I'm with mmissinglink gold and silver are not money. Gold and silver can be used to mint money but by themselves they are not. In the 1950's when coins were minted with silver you couldn't go into a store with a silver fork (or a gold earring) and walk out with a shirt unless the clerk was willing to barter or you stole it. Now that same fork could have been minted into a coin which is money. And the thing is that same silver fork meets all of the posted requirements of money (which makes sense because it is the same argument you are making FOR silver to be money):

1. Fungible - the silver can be weighed to figure out how much is there and replaced with equal amount of silver. two silver forks of the same weight are interchangeable
    2. Portable- fits in my pocket
    3. Recognized - a lot of people know what a hallmark of 925 or sterling means (or 10kt or 24 kt etc) if they've ever owned or given some jewelry, and if it were money even more people would know...
    4. Stand over time my mother has my grandmother's silver and it is less worn than most silver coins from the 60's I've pulled from circulation
    5. Cannot be easily forged - check alibaba for fake silver and gold coins. I'm sure there are fake sterling forks too. I've seen many fake notes too. It's part of the game.
    6. Must remain inert - it is silver just like coins are and has the same properties

...and yet somehow my silver fork is not money; never has been, doubt it ever will be. It is not easy to trade with like a coin made of silver. There is no easy to understand value on a metal unless it is minted into a coin. If we use spot price times ASW that means we'd have to have an updated spot chart and a scale to make any transaction. Good luck doing that at Walmart. Plus each time we went to the store our fork would be worth a different amount of doritos and frozen pizzas based on the changing spot.

Now I know I can't use Euro or AUD or CAD to buy stuff here in the states but it is money in other places. Please find me a place in the world where Walmart or 7-11 or whatever non-mom-and-pop-barter-store will take my silver fork as payment for a frozen pizza and a microwave oven.

Now that isn't to say silver and gold don't have value! I think both are very valuable and a smart thing to have handy. I wouldn't be here if I didn't like PMs. I'm just saying they aren't money.

8. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

they aren't money.......YET. :)

9. alor

what is the spot price for that frozen pizza?

I better check with the Italian :)

what is the spot price for that microwave oven?

I need to check what the real cost in Renminbi :lol:

I don't like the exit, my strategy is to stay put. It is as easy as flushing down the toilet, if you keep talking about your exit strategy.

What do you mean to say USD is money, when you have too much of them (like the Chinese have them), you can't even use it to buy assets that you really like, like US corporations 'oil companies' or US properties, like strategic properties.

Because they are "FUNNY MONEY".

10. 18anstacking

18anstacking New Member

Money is something valued by people. Legal tender is recognized by the government as a note of value owed. Bartering is the exchange of items or goods/services to recurve a good/service. So anything and everything is money but few things are legal tender to governments which makes them barter money to people.

11. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Rum used to be used as currency, do a days work and get half a jug of rum......

12. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This was on another thread.
    I can't find the thread but it bears repeating.

THIS is your fiat currency and your Overlords view.

13. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

In the transnational sexual slavery industry, there aren't many options for an exit strategy. Generally they don't work for fiat, but are paid in drugs, food and a bed. Free market economics.

14. elninjo

elninjo New Member

You probably didn't look in this thread lol
    Post # 41 39 page 2