"Exit" Strategies

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sian Marie, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Sian Marie

Sian Marie New Member

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post as a brand new member. It's great to be here. I'm an American living in California and have been interested in Silver since '95 after reading G. Edward Griffin's The Creature From Jekyll Island. My attitude regarding the current silver slaughter: thanks for the discount and it won't last forever.

The thing I'm most concerned about is what to do when silver reaches oh, lets say $200 an ounce. Ideally, I'd like to leverage that wealth to buy real estate without actually liquidating the metal. How would one do that in the safest most cost effective way?

Cheers!

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Straight swap would be the safest and most cost effective way I would think. Accountant tallies your PM value in the vaults private room and applies that to the cost of the house, fairly simple I would think. But keep your paperwork as you may have to pay CGT etc. Or just buy unallocated, very easy to liquidate.

Someone on here posted an article about a man who bought a house with PM's but can't locate it. But it has been done.

3. Sian Marie

Sian Marie New Member

My thoughts too. My worries are the "vault". I prefer to keep it myself rather than entrust it to someone else. But if I had to use a vault, which ones would be good candidates?

4. Ouija

Ouija New Member

Welcome, Sian Marie:

If silver reaches $200 per ounce, there will be other significant political/economic issues (apart from silver) that will need to be considered in the equation.

The "$200" figure is just a neat round psychological milestone, that is not significant in itself, but to the few superstitious souls, who will regard such a figure as a "sell" signal, which would cause a temporary drop in price, resulting in bargain hunters bidding the price back up.

At the current price levels, I see no need to have an exit strategy in place, as the Gold/Silver ratio is suggesting that silver is greatly under-valued, and that this is the time to be stacking as much as possible.

In a world where the price of silver reaches astronomical levels, there will be abundant opportunities to profit, that have nothing to do with the exchange of fiat currency.

5. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I intend on swapping my metals for base metal and banking shares when the time comes. These would have sold off hard if silver is at $200 an ounce and imo would gain quicker if there was a turnaround in the economy. I would then look to real estate and other investments. All of course from a tropical country with little to no capital gains tax from income earned from overseas investments.

6. House

Depends where you're located and what services your require. I use Guardian Vaults and rate them highly. Don't take the risk and store your precious at home.

7. Sian Marie

Sian Marie New Member

Which do you think is safer, a hole in the ground that is hidden and yet fairly easily accessible to the one who knows where it is or, a vault?

8. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Put it in a hole so when u croak it it stays there & someone can find it in 50 years with a metal detector :p:

9. House

And the rare honest person will try to find the owner... http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-9530-if-you-found-someone-else-s-stash-page-2.html

For me, the vault is the only way to go for storage. Although the cost of 3kg of silver for storage does make me wonder if dumping it all in a a few different super secret holes in the ground would be worth the risk.

10. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

the best security you can get is only you knowing where it is and no one knowing that you have it. To me that means a little nook or cranny somewhere. Use your imagination, the options are endless. There are alot of places to hide it.

11. Sian Marie

Sian Marie New Member

Okay. I'm coming around on this one. But have you heard of the technique of layering the hole with a patch of rusty chicken wire as a diversion?

12. Ouija

Ouija New Member

I bury mine in the cemetery - it costs nothing, is not likely to be accidentally discovered, and it will always be accessible when you need it, and immune from government confiscation.

13. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Trying to take it with you. :)

14. Ouija

Ouija New Member

Well, I guess that would be the ultimate "exit strategy" ;);)

15. ryan71

ryan71 Member

Cool discussion. I bet a sealed PVC pipe with a couple oxygen eaters would work very well for burial. Use a set of post hole diggers to position the pipe vertically. Finding the perfect location is by far the biggest challenge. Just wondering out loud.......

16. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I bought a learjet and keep my silver airborne just like the US president Crap in wartime.
    Of course, it needs to be more than 3 kilo to make sense.

17. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

Hey - that's a coincidence!

I use it as ballast in an ex-US Navy attack sub I purchased on eBay. It goes round and round the Isle of Wight, clockwise on months with an 'R' in and anticlock the rest. I think the record is towing two trawlers. The maintenance is killing me, though.

18. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

Seriously - if you are the sort of person that leaves keys in a secret place (in your top right desk drawer) you probably need to review your hidey holes.

19. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

Isn't storing silver in pvc a big no no? Makes it tarnish big time.

20. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a big Lincoln Continental with big silver bumper bars.