"Exit" Strategies

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sian Marie, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Some people recommend getting a handful of nails and spreading them around. In the beginning you will be wasting metal detectorists time with false positives. When they rust into the soil you will make the whole area pointless to search. However if the government suspect you have hidden it they have the time and money to waste digging up your whole garden.

It is the softener in PVC which causes all the problems, pipes don't have the softener in them as long as they are the hard type.

Make sure it isn't too bouyant or it will work its way up to the surface, vertically should reduce the 'visible area'

Personally I am going to grow a tree from seed, as it gets bigger I am going to make an incision in it and start putting the 10oz bars into it, the tree will heel over the bar. No one is going to climb a tree with a metal detector. After a decade or so there will be a hidden line of bars all the way up to the top, when I want to cash them in I just set fire to the tree and sift through the ashes.

2. Sonic

Sonic New Member

Remember that pog game from the 90s? I've thought one of those containers (or several) would work nicely for stacking and burying 1oz coins in different locations. I don't know how nicely they'll fit though. I'm just going off of childhood memory.

3. Jislizard

I think if you are going to start burying stuff you need to swap out all your silver for gold.

It takes up far less space and it doesn't corrode in air or water, unlike silver which is bulky and goes a funny green colour if water makes its way into the container.

4. Jislizard

5. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

Since economies aren't vaccums, one of two things will happen. If Silver is $200 an ounce it will be likely that gold is $3,000 an ounce and we live in a world where land will be so expensive that your $200 will be worth $20 in inflationary terms....so buying land is going to cost you a helluva lotta silver. More than likely if silver is $200 there was some huge industrial usage for it and corporations would either start mining like hell for any silver they could get or the technology would change quickly so that there could be an alternative to silver....in which case you best sell all that silver ASAP before it drops back to its current true value. And don't worry....the IRS will have written a tax law to take 40% of your profit, if not more.

Cheers!

6. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

So if a farmer nails a barb wire fence to a tree, in a dozen years the fence will be, like five or ten feet off the ground?

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

That's genius....I already have oak saplings growing in my back yard (from squirrels burying acorns over the years) and so now I have found a use for the oak saplings! :)

8. mmissinglink

That's right. If silver was to somehow reach $200/oz (inflation adjusted), it's possible or more likely probable (all other factors being equal) that during this time the average price for 1 pound of coffee will be in excess of $50 (based on today's comparative prices). http://www.bls.gov/ro3/apmw.htm

Silver is no panacea. It is not indispensable. It has no intrinsic value. It is not money because it doesn't function like money (except in a few isolated places in the world). Some foolish people view silver in the same way people living in the Bronze Age viewed silver.

All of those facts doesn't mean that silver isn't worth owning. Silver is a commodity and can function like an asset.

9. Jislizard

[​IMG]

Something like that :)

10. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

Trees grow from the top up....not the bottom. So you'd have to climb the tree to put in the new silver.

11. Jislizard

That sounds like a lot more work. They also grow outwards so I guess I will have to work my way around the tree, fortunately I don't have much silver to hide. I guess I could just hammer coins into the trunk.

12. Sian Marie

Sian Marie New Member

Are you saying $17 an ounce is the true value of silver?

13. Sian Marie

Sian Marie New Member

The Byzantine Empire thrived for 800 years as the ceter of world commerce without ever going bankrupt, or for that matter, going into debt. Silver is indeed money.

Money is not just an agreement to exchange goods and services, and not restricted to "legal tender" which is what the gov tells you you can use to satisfy debt. I define money largely based on these criteria:

1. Fungible - That is, it is the property of essences or goods which are "capable of being substituted in place of one another."[1] For example, since one ounce of gold is equivalent to any other ounce of gold, gold is fungible.
    2. Portable
    3. Recognized - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...t-bernanke-as-u-s-states-promote-bullion.html a growing trend
    4. Stand over time fiat currencies last about 40 years.
    5. Cannot be easily forged... like the Federal Reserve using electronic bits
    6. Must remain inert - not oxidize like copper to the point where it disappears

14. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

In a world that became "so expensive" people will show their middlefingers to government and IRS.

15. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

Lol...have you seen the size of the U.S. & Chinese Armies? Put your middle finger up and the governments will just plow you down and take the money...they make the rules ;)

16. Sian Marie

Sian Marie New Member

...rules that were made to be broken...

17. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Reminds me of one of the most courageous dudes I have ever seen:

[​IMG]

18. mmissinglink

Sian Marie, that's unrelated to my post (that silver isn't money today is what my argument is) and that silver thousands of years ago functioned like money is a big fat non-sequitur.

Wrong on most counts. Here's why silver (and gold) is not and won't return to being money:
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/2473235-why-silver-will-not-return-as-money

and

http://www.businessinsider.com/gold-is-not-money-2013-4

19. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sovereignman.com

Chris Rose was dying from terminal heart disease. He didn't have long, and before he passed, he wanted to make sure that his 18-month old son received his British passport.

When he went to pay the application fee at the British consulate in Hong Kong with cash, they told him, "Sorry we only take credit cards."

The English teacher who had been living in Hong Kong for 20 years doesn't have a credit card, and thus has no way of paying the passport fees for him and his son.

So they rejected him. They rejected a dying man from paying for his son's passport with the very currency that they themselves issue. It's obscene.

Facing intense bureaucracy and several months of waiting with no guarantee of success, he gave up on the hope that his infant son would be able to visit his grandparents back home.

It was only after the story was publicized in the local press in Hong Kong that the requirement to pay with a credit card was 'waived on compassionate grounds.'

Think about how ridiculous this whole situation is for a moment.

First the government makes it mandatory that you have a passport in order to be able to move across arbitrary borders on the map that they have created.

Then they charge you money for the privilege of having a passport. In other words, if you want to leave the country, you have to pay up.

But then they won't allow you to pay for it with the pieces of paper they force you to use as money.

Instead, they force you to use the government-regulated (and protected) banking industry, whether you want to or not.

20. graydragon

graydragon New Member

I wouldn't have a problem burying cheap rounds bars etc
    I wouldn't want to bury eagles Kooks etc but regular stuff why not so what if
    it looks shitty when ya dig it up some fire and crucibles and you have some brand new
    poured bars!
    graydragon