ethereum

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by dozerz, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was in Lisk and sold prematurely to the top as I was worried some bag holders wanted to dump (they've been holding it a long time). I'm focusing on some undervalued projects like QRL and getting in on them pre-sale or during the crowdsale. I wouldn't invest in ETH at current prices as I have a simple trading strategy. Buy coins in red, sell when they turn green (on coinmarketcap).

2. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not criticising your strategy at all as it has worked for me time after time recently but there are to my mind at least two reality's that can not be ignored in this game.
    1: Bitcoin is the equivalent of the US dollar here, and you need to be in this sphere to trade or at least recognise the value of what you are trading as all else at the moment is compared to BTC just as Gold and Oil are measured in U.S dollars.
    2: Bitcoin is not the be all and end all in this game though (and game it is). While BTC is the current currency of choice at the moment to compare all others to, it is for all intents and purposes just a currency. It itself has no other purpose other than being a comparative first mover trading pair for all the rest.

The blockchain underlying it all is what is moving the value in Alt coins right now, people are recognising (or at least grasping) the underlying technicality's of what certain alts can provide. Sheet even Govt, and Banksters are jumping on board right now.

Ethereum is the kick starter of this current move, BTC does not have smart contracts, it is for comparison like Facebook is to Myspace (for the younger crew do a google search) It is like a dial up service compared to an NBN connection, or Analog compared to digital. It is a whole new world of transaction that will change our world irrevocably within the next decade. Just do a simple google search on the number of major financial institutions that are adopting this technology right now, Sheet even PNG is investigating it as a simple fix for a complex problem of banking for remote people over a mobile service, and Aus is financing the study.

And yet 9 1/2 to 9 3/4 of people I talk to about this have no idea at all about what it all is.

With out a doubt there are a number of people reading these threads who have made more over the last twelve months from Crypto's than they have ever made from investing in PM's over the last four years.

I was in and out of Lisk a number of times over the last week and a half, made $ on every trade and then sat on the Eth up till now. Bought low, set a sell, went to bed, got up to a profit. Until the past weekend at least.

As I type BTC has lost a good 10 billion in market cap and ETH has now come within 10 billion for the first time despite losing a fair bit of face value over the last 24 hr's. Only a matter of time really until ETH overtakes BTC. BTC now at 40% dominance.....

3. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

Little over 12 months now and WOOOOOOOWWW!!!!!!!

4. southerncross

Be interesting to see where we are at in another twelve months hey.

Gullintanni likes this.
  5. southerncross

Just re-read this whole thread, it makes for an interesting read RE: peoples opinions as ETH evolved over the last twelve months or so. One comment in there somewhere was about only having about 200 ETH or so. LOL even at current low prices that is still about 45 K $ AU, do the math's at the recent high's.
    People burnt by Cryptsy, as I was as well, people doubting the Tech value of ETH, the ridicule of the whole concept of Crypto's or ETH by some, the keenness of others to get involved with the mining side of things, the DAO fiasco and concurrent ETH fork leading to ETC, the doubt, hope, skepticism, expressed by all the contributors is quite enlightening to me personally when compared to the world of PM investing, the reason I first joined this site.

If I had invested just half the amount I did into Gold and Silver into BTC and ETH alone just a few years ago, I would be a multi multi millionaire at this point in time even at the current lows (on paper at least).

But I hated the concept of a digital currency back then, a thing based on numbers on a screen and nothing much else. I literally called it Tulip Mania on these very threads, and ridiculed BTC as nothing more than a Ponzi/ Next Idiot scheme back when you could of bought a bitcoin for less than a single dollar $AU.

I was as dirty on shares as well at that point in time too, just more useless numbers on a screen and fiat was never to be trusted, Gold and Silver were the only ( along with a bit of Platinum) safe places to be for me.

Gold at $1750 and silver at $32 was the best store of value five or six years ago right? Both were heading to DA MOON Yeah ? Nu Huh it was a good way of watching a store of value dwindle over time though. And like Manipulation via the paper trade in both is non existent as well right ?

Now I don't mind if I make a mistake or fuck things up myself as no one but me is responsible, a bad trade, a poor/stupid decision I can personally cope with no problems at all. I Get over it and get on with things, But when you just know flat out that you are a pawn in a manipulated market like Gold and Silver, exploited by .Gov sanctioned share trading practices that use Bot's and high speed trading to fleece mum and dad traders on the share market and get Pineapple'd by banks and every other financial market that you can think of like insurance or supersaturation.

There comes a point in time when you just shrug off all this institutional crap and look at other avenues to reap some rewards for your hard earned right ? And what better way to do it than a decentralized and open market like Crypto's to risk your hard earned on ? You are still personally responsible for your decisions, you still do the research, you still own your own decisions.

But you know for a fact you are outside the sway of .Gov, Banks, Institutions, Fixed paper markets, or any of the other pineapple without lubrication type influences your initial investment is normally reliant upon for a return.

Do your own research actually means something now, As does 'at your own risk' , But the rewards and losses can be phenomenal for those who actually do do their own research.

Seriously what is cash in a bank worth at today's rates ? Real estate will tank shortly and the PM's have been falling or barely stable for years now, people are looking for actual returns to see them through retirement, once things stabilize with Crypto's it will be 'the' must have investment and many millions of new adopters will pour into the market, add to that China adding many hundreds of millions more with their new Silk Road over the next couple of years to the internet as well as the influx from just everyday westerners adopting the platforms that are now just emerging on the blockchain and it all adds up to an explosion of usage that we have not seen since the inception of the internet.

Not every new coin will work out, many will fail along the way but those that do survive will see untold usage adopted and as a result reap a great deal of wealth for those who are willing to hold for the next few years.

Just go back and read the first few pages of this thread and see where ETH is now compared to just a year or so back and then compare it to any other return you have seen over the last decade.

BuggedOut and Gullintanni like this.
  6. Gullintanni

I have been working my way through this thread as well Southerncross .
    I have worked from the last page to the front and it appears some here were right to get involved with crypto but did not back themselves and bought their own 10,000 bitcoin pizzas:)
    I am getting in while this is still relatively young tech and am going to treat many of these the way i treat penny stocks.
    Looking at some of the gains just this year it is staggering what can be done with very little investment compared to other markets.
    I have a laptop sitting in the bottom of my closet that has bitcoin on it and instead of just letting it sit there for parts as it is broken i am going to have it fixed to see what i have on there.
    Looking back i can still remember the first time i looked at bitcoin and it took hours by memory to sync the blockchain on my poor wee comp.

7. Gullintanni

What other market can you spend $100 and buy 333,333 units @$0.0003 and then have each of them worth $3 a few months down the track?
    It is surreal.

southerncross likes this.
  8. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Just about to hit AU$200
    What a difference a month makes!

[​IMG]

leo25 likes this.
  9. SilverDJ

It's not stopping!

[​IMG]

10. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

It's great, isn't it. I'll be able to increase my Eth holdings by 3-400% if if keeps going like this.

Meanwhile, how is that BTC, technical fractal that never lies and is in tune with the universe etc going for you?

11. ParanoidAndroid

Not game enough to call a bottom, but below $100 is looking like a safe bet.

Doubt we'll see $10 again, however.

12. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

there are some huge dumps going on, most probably icos but also some long term hodlers cashing out. sub $100 usd will see some resistance i expect.

13. SilverDJ

The way it's tracking, back to double digits would not be surprising, and I suspect a lot of people might be thinking the same thing.

leo25 likes this.
  14. ParanoidAndroid

If market cap drops back to where it was when this run started we could see approx $75-80 Eth. Again I wouldn't want to confidentially call.

Just wonder if we see an extended flatline or a slingshot back to where we were once the whole BTC drama is over.

15. Gullintanni

In any other market i would be pooping myself holding this , but even i have already learned this should be nothing to get worried about.
    Someone pointed out in another thread that a 50% or 100% drop is nothing when you see 500-1000% gains regularly as well.
    Ill stick with my sub penny coins in the mean time but i suspect this will be a fantastic opportunity for people to get in low before the next push higher.

16. SilverDJ

But gains like that usually only happen once or twice in each crypto (so far). So unless you are constantly investing in new ICO's you won't be getting those gains "regularly". +/-50% swings are more common. +/-10% are almost a daily occurrence.

Gullintanni likes this.
  17. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

but will it go up another 10 times to $2300?
    Got your answer :D

18. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

love revisiting these old threads, want to dig up mine where i called eth at $1?