Can people here quit hoping for Silver to tank?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Aureus, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Maybe it's just me but I think it looks a tad bit pathetic :p

I just want to know if i'm unfairly judging people or whether there are others who agree with me.
    I have a feeling Silver has a rough short-term future so i'm saving fiat but that does not mean I am wishing for it, if you are a true stacker (and I guess most who visit this site are) then shouldn't that be the attitude to have? hope for the best and prepare for the worst?

Anyway...just after genuine opinions, I think this whole 'waiting for silver to tank' thing is a pretty new fad and one i'd rather see die out. It is a very poor cover of dissapointment, we can see through it ;)

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Ha I genuinely hope it will tank... I have a few more people I am convincing to board the PMs train before the get run over by the FIAT collapse train. Also I have stacking goals to meet myself and an overwhelming knowledge that one day it will be too late...

3. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

I plan on being a net buyer for the next few years, so why shouldn't the same logic apply to PMs?

4. Terry88

Terry88 Member

Yep, I'm planning on being a net buyer too for the next 5 years.

5. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

I'm hoping it goes up now, I don't have any paper left to buy any if it goes any lower.

To da moon....

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm a true stacker in that :

a) I don't give a shit what silver does in terms of 'fiat dollars value' and
    b) I stack long physical based on the fundamentals of money, not trying to capitalise on the most heavily manipulated commodities market in the world today.

The fundamentals on silver are terrific, especially on a commodities standpoint.

I buy what little I can after living expenses so I'm not leveraged on it, put it aside and forget about it because my conviction is that long term, I'll have made the right bet anyway.

That's a stacker IMHO.

7. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a certain percentage of my stack that I'm not intending to sell for maybe 15-20 years. If I have a chance to cost-average in some more at a lower price I won't be disappointed. Then again, I'm not relying on silver to make me rich so I'm not jumping up and down when the price goes up either.

Basically, I'll try to take advantage of whatever happens so I don't really care what that is.

8. Ernster

Ernster New Member

People always want that little bit more. Humans are little greedy assholes unfortunately even the good ones. I remember begging my mum to lend me like $2K when Silver went from $18 to $16. Thought I would be over the moon if I had a whole $2K invested.

Well I have a lot more than that these days and that little voice in my head still pops up and says "it would be so good if I had 100oz more"

In regards to "tanking".... I can't see Silver getting lower than low $20's. Back in 2008 when Silver crashed from $21 to $9, Silver was at its peak price of $21, there was a lot of speculative money at the time. These days we have already had a couple of recent crashes so we definitely wont see as big a crash if we do have another GFC.

To be honest I'd love for Silver to go back to $40 so I can stop buying because at the moment Silver in the $30's is a pretty sweet deal I think.

9. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I wish Silver would go to the moon so I can dump most of my bullion holdings and buy more Modern Chinese Coins :p.

10. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Lots of people want it to tank so they can offset their high 30s/low 40s purchases.

11. Aureus

I guess people have different opinions, I should expand on my own.
    An intelligent stacker in my eyes is someone who has a good chunk of metal already. This is also a person who jumped in well over a year ago, before Silver was "cool". So theoretically they should be in profit already and hoping for more.

Then there are stackers who have joined too late (lets say late 2010 onwards), these are the people who I think are hoping for a crash so they can then even out their average cost to something more respectable. You can generally pick these people out as they spout out things like "crash JPM". I think a large percentage of new stackers are sheep (not all mind you) that have started to invest thanks to the permabull commentators found around the net. These people have brought a totally different attitude to PM forums.

Honestly, this year aside I don't think I have ever read of a stacker wishing ill on the price of Silver.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

+1, this is me exactly. I'm long on silver and have leveraged 0% to buy mine so I don't care if the price falls as I wont be selling then! Short term I don't give two hoots what the price does, it's so manipulated it would be silly to care how silver moves short term unless you're a short term silver trader.

13. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

14. Nedsnotdead

Well for those of us that arent 'intelligent stackers' like you who has a 'large chunk already' of course we want lower silver.
    Maybe it will drop to below your dca and i can get my 'large stack' below what your cost you and i can then become an 'intelligent stacker' just like you. Or would i still just be a sheep?

15. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

Intelligent investors started stacking pre Northern Rock in late 2007 I reckon. After that it didn't take much rocket science to figure out having a bit of PMs was probably not a bad idea.

16. Lav

Lav New Member

hoping does you no good anyway. Hoping doesn't change the outcome of anything so it's just a useless emotion that fogs rational thought.

17. Aureus

I don't think you can label me and everyone else who got in early as unintelligent can you? don't take my words as a personal insult, they are very broad statements.

Depends, are you saying you currently are a sheep? you would have to start thinking for yourself before I consider you anything other than a sheep.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

It's worth pointing out though that over - WELL over 99% - of the population don't have any silver or gold even now

Once the pm bull run is finished this cycle even those who start today will still be considered the "intelligent" ones

I mean silver is under $35 an ounce today - someone call the damn police because that's the steal of a damn lifetime!

Don't be hard on the newer guys mate, they're still here well before the rest of the flock arrives

The fools will be here in stage 3 and we're no where near that yet. You can't even get a silver spot price from the mainstream media atm!

I started buying at the start of 2010 when it was 16 bucks an ounce. I bought a 10oz bar from aurora and he actually apologized to me for charging a high price of 220 aud as it was his last one

I still have that bar and more besides

I was buying then, I was buying at 47, I am still buying today (when I can afford it) because as a stacker I measure my stack in ounces held and not fiat dollars.

I can almost guarantee that those who come later will be able to buy more silver and gold than any of us have

I think as long as you can convert your fiat to something tangible with intrinsic value before the paper becomes worthless, that's the sign of a thinking person. It doesn't even have to be metals for that to matter either!

19. Nedsnotdead

Wouldnt consider myself a sheep not at all. Far from it. Not calling others unintelligent either just commenting on your own words/opinions of others that started stacking a little later than when you did and you implying that they arent as intelligent as you. Thats how i took your comments.
    I hope it tanks and then I hope it tanks some more.

20. Aureus

In relation to what might I ask? because I don't feel comfortable buying at $35/oz right now.

I was using it as an example to explain a change of attitude in the forums, I didn't say they were all sheep. I stress again, before this year did you ever hear of someone wishing for Silver to go down in price?

I don't do this yet, thus my opinion on the matter.
    There will come a time when I do, no doubt about it, but doing so right now is premature.

You are only intelligent if you convert at the right time. Buying at the peak of a parabolic rise when Fiat is still "money" in every Country is not what I would consider smart thinking.

Geez that all sounds a little serious and negative, better add a smiley... :)
    There isn't meant to be a negative tone to my answers just really busy so had to be short and to the point.