Anyone else just get a huge power bill?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Jimmy1986, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. PradoEagle

PradoEagle Member Silver Stacker

After thinking about this for 30 seconds, I would say that it is not worth the hassle. If you got maximum output for 8 hours a day (this is above house usage) then you could only sell the difference in rates (47 minus 23) 24 cents per kwh. So 8 hours x 24 cents x 5kw (max) = $9.60 per day. Now deducting losses, assume 80% efficient. This is $7.68 per day. A 8kw battery inverter would likely cost $12k with a life a 10 years. You need to account for losses. Total income of $28k. The return is less than 3% by my maths.

PE

3. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Csiro rocks. I know many scientists in csiro and the various uni's who could earn stacks more in private org's but they don't get the focus on publishing their research then.

I think they are mad and its why left research but they are needed to put pieces of the various puzzles together bit by bit.

I'm glad they can source funding but is never enough. Just think of the various advances in science that have been achieved. The alternative is a model based on the pharmaseut, pharmapseut, drug industry and their self-interest research focus.

Our scientists do not get paid enough.

4. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

I thought that was the coolest thing ever... although i'm not exactly a seasoned camper.

Turns out eBay has 'equivalents' (maybe not as good, i don't know) for around $25 shipped, instead of $180 shipped

(eg: 261065279122 on feebay)

Edit: ^^^ I overlooked that $25 is not the 'buy it now' price, it's an auction, and the buy it now price is around $135 shipped :(

5. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

6. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

It's just a camp stove. You put wood inside it, and it burns it.

Attached to the side is a generator that will charge an iPhone or equivalent, as the fire burns.

The difference between a stove like this, and say a camp fire is that it has a little battery-powered fan that forces air into the stove chamber and really gets the fire burning. Plus it looks trendy for the types that would buy an iPhone perhaps.

7. sprite

sprite New Member

We are on stand alone solar power and have been for years.

Not being able to add onto a system which was connected to the grid is yet another example of the government attempting to control the masses. Although they might argue about grid overloads, capacity of inverters etc.

Its all a load of grade A humus.

Unfortunately once you agree to "the system", you have to agree to their rules. Simple solution is to never join the "system" in the first place.

@ Redback, I'm not sure why you would need such information, except to set up competitive quotes for your own business.

8. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Firstly i declare i do not install Solar systems for a living so there is no conflict of interest(Not that i can see one even if i did)
    I am interested in the rebate system and its structure and to accurately compare them i need as much information as possible.
    My views on a grid fed system therefore are also not tainted by the need for positive spin-just realistic comparison.
    It comes purely down to the maths and how all the bits and pieces in-between effect the end result.
    Fair enough?
    Your stand alone system would not have been cheap to set up if that is your only source of power but more than likely very cost effective for the long term.
    REDBACK

9. REDBACK

A big thanks to that Thatguy for providing some excellent figures regarding his Grid fed system.
    Thumbs up
    Thanks mate!
    If there is anyone from other states that can provide some comparisons that would be fantastic.
    Still open to QLDer's who have had a system installed more than 5 years ago.
    Appreciated
    REDBACK

10. jparrie

jparrie Member

I can't add additional panels (to increase the output). I can sell as much as I can make from the existing panels, hence my original question.

11. jparrie

jparrie Member

Not too sure why you want this as nobody can get 60c/Kwh any more? Something like 20c now and the math doesn't stack up at that price.

You didn't have to be Einstein to realise that selling electricity at 60c (actually 68c from AGL) was a pretty stupid idea and it wouldn't last too long.

Happy to give you whatever you want though, if I can remember.

12. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tariffs Another con by the state gov promise one thing deliver another

Dont pay the carbon TAX there is f#ckall they can do .they are not paying a tax its all a con to funnel cash to big business (FREE PERMITS )

STAND UP OZ AND DONT BE CONNED do it for the pensioners and those less fortunate

If you dont stand up now you will be bent over forever and shafted with no lube

PEOPLE POWER WINS EVERY TIME

13. radiobirdman

CO2 the plants will be fucked with out it because its plant food ,its also heavyer than air so when the oxegen is burnt off it falls to the ground to feed the plants . DONT BE CONNED ITS A OXEGEN TAX

14. shano73

shano73 Member

Well got my 1st power bill today for my new property & Ive got to say Im happy as pig in poop. $130 power bill for the quarter? What's that you say? " How the F*** did that happen", dont know but I'm very happy :) :)

Only have a 1kw solar system, which generated 233kw back into the grid. Now Ive got to way up the option of possibly upgrading to a 3kw system.

15. radiobirdman

Thats right I forgot 99% of aus happy to take it no lube ,suckers

16. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And than ask for more :rolleyes:

17. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Most state feed in tarrifs are based on inverter and not panels. Most inverters can be "oversized" (i.e. 1.5kw inverter size and 1.8kw of panels). This "oversizing" does not mean you can generate more the 1.5kw at any point in time, but it does mean that you will generate 1.5kw for longer each day and overall will sell more electricity back to the grid. For a 60c FiT I personally would bother with installing the MAX sized system I could

18. REDBACK

Jparrie i would love any info you can provide,by private PM would be great.
    Appreciated again
    REDBACK

19. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well the debate has started in Oz, and legislation is already in place in Europe, and soon UK, imposing a tax on unhealthy food - ie: on the fat and sugar content of food. They've worked out that poor people buy takeaways because they're unable to make the budget stretch to lentils and rice and the subsidised corn syrup additive type meals are easier to access. So of course you tax it so they don't burden your health system with all that poor people disease.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/chew-the-fat-on-a-sugar-tax-to-trim-waistlines-20120719-22cxw.html

and btw:

20. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

$700 for 3 months for 2 adults and 1x18month old
    yeahhhhhhhhhh puts sunglasses on CSI miami style....letme go put some more lights on
    tgif!