2012 Lunar Dragon design

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by goldpelican, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teh silvers

Teh silvers Member

A gold glided 1 oz dragon sold for $350 today.

2. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Also, my extension of this logic is that if I want to collect a few complete Series 2 sets, I should acquire Series 2 Dragons and trade for the previous/future years. This way I lock in today's prices.

3. perthsilver

perthsilver Member Silver Stacker

Being the only mythical creature in the lunar series also makes it a popular coin.

4. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would say I fall into the latter category (although I think your use of the word scalper is a bit much). Not to flip within a week or two, but because I think the Dragon will achieve a higher premium than other bullion coins over the medium term (say 18 months or so like the Tiger has achieved).

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

People have too high expectations for the dragon. Wouldn't be surprised if another year ends up being the king of series II instead of the dragon.

6. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

What is annoying me is that a select few have been given a look but not the general public. I am waiting on pre order dragons and I don't even know what they look like. How hard would it be for Perth Mint to put up the design with a "coming soon" sign. Jeeeeeezzzzz

7. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

It's like anything - if you are an insider your get the easy run.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not being Chinese I don't care about the lunar calendar one bit, I don't even care about our own star signs but that's Sagitarians for you!

I am in the market for a bulk lot of rounds and it just happens that the dragons are coming out in the near future so I will put off buying anything until they come out on the off chance that they wil increase in value. Last lot of bulk rounds I bought was in 2008 so it is about time.

I have a plan to give a silver round to my niece every year for her birthday and christmas (along with a present she will acually appreciate at the time). My worry is that in a couple of years time I won't have enough money to be so extravigant with a present. I can swap a premium coin(dragon) for a new release and maintain the present idea that way for the next couple of years at least.

Put me down for speculating, I saw the pictures before they dissapeared and I wasn't that excited.

9. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I think the design could be of a bare dragon's bum and they will sell out pronto.

10. platiplaty

platiplaty New Member

Really? Coin collecting is a beloved hobby of many, many people. And the Lunar Series has been pretty popular. (Especially in Germany for some strange reason...) There will only ever be 300,000 of these particular coins available in the world, which is a massive mintage when you compare it to the Proof coins, but it's also a tiny mintage compared to many other Bullion coins out there. If you buy a bunch of them on the first day, and your intention is to someday sell them at a much higher price to one of those coin collectors, who is collecting the Bullion versions because the Proofs are out of reach, and who is just desperate to complete their set of 12 - then what word would you use to call that activity? ;)

By the way - I'm a bit new to this and would love to know if there is a word that we use to describe this - and I say "we" because I have every intention of getting my hands on some of these 1oz silver dragons for exactly that purpose... hang onto them for a year or more and sell when the price is right (not sure what that price will actually be, yet, but it will be fun to find out) :D

11. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

"Investing" :D

12. platiplaty

platiplaty New Member

Oh yeah, and also, having been born in 1976, I may as well keep a Dragon for myself, what the heck :)

13. platiplaty

platiplaty New Member

LOVE IT! Talk it up. Hey, you should work in Marketing...

14. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Haha I'm Chinese and I didn't know what year was what lunar animal until I started stacking... :p

Horoscopes and lunar signs... ick. So not my thing.

+1... as GP said... I'm gonna "invest" in these babies :) hahaha

15. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

That my friend is simply called a Precious Metal bug ;) no derogatory names required.

16. platiplaty

platiplaty New Member

Naaarrr, don't worry about that. Anyone who says they've seen it is lying. Unless of course they work at the Mint. Or unless they're an authorised distributor, and they've received their product information. Or unless they are friends with an authorised distributor... Hmmmm... actually yeah, there could be a select few out there who've seen it.

17. platiplaty

platiplaty New Member

So really, it doesn't matter what it looks like? Just, it's a dragon, ergo, sellout. You think?

18. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You could say the same about any Silver purchased in general. By your standard anyone buying Silver while it's limited in supply and intends on selling to people who are prepared to pay more for this scarce metal at a higher price is also a scalper :)

19. platiplaty

platiplaty New Member

You've got me there :)

But later on... MUCH later on, after the SHTF scenario and everything has died down, and the price of silver comes back down again, there will still be coin collectors, and they will still want these dragon coins much more than they'd want an ugly bar. For coin collecting purposes, not investment. Do you see what I'm saying?

20. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

I want the Dragon because they're cool and I got the lunar bug. I'm not planning on flipping them if I'm lucky enough to get some.

Any ideas on where I would be able to get them in Canada without have to pay too much of a premium?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.