Our Daily Bread a.k.a. MCC Fix (Random Thoughts, Updates, Advice, Etc)

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by KeepOnTrying!, May 25, 2015.

1. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the info friend. No, unfortunately I don't have any version. Would be nice to get at least one.:)

2. Stark

Group buy? :p

3. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

From what I have seen inside the mint(s) and during the production of a high relief medal this is all done by multiple strikes. I would be very surprised to learn that casting is used for anything. I didn't even see casting equipment on a tour of a legitimate private mint in China.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    China Pricepedia
    www.pandacollector.com

4. Pandacollector

NGC's policy is to grade medals produced by the official mints in China. For older or obscure medals it is very useful to have a COA to confirm the medal's origin. I do not know what PCGS' stance is today.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    China Pricepedia
    www.pandacollector.com

5. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Hey Peter, thanks for contributing to this forum and others. Your insight is appreciated. I'm sending my Datong, and Qin Emperor, and I will provide as much detail as I possibly can, and hope for the best. I just got my Feng Painting graded (1979)...have received it yet, but it was graded, and I'm sure it probably wasn't a good grade. I should have conserved it first. Oh well.

thanks again.

6. Pandacollector

In my own experience, very low mintage medals (say under 10) are often not even offered to the public for sale. Insiders take all of them sometimes they are gifts.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    China Pricepedia
    www.pandacollector.com

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Peter, much appreciation from me (and I must assume everyone else who benefits from your extensive knowledge) that you have responded to our questions.

I own no Chinese medals pre-1987, I wish I did.

Please tell me, if one submits a modern Chinese medal that is not produced by one of the official mints to NGC, is it best to physically send a copy of the COA (if one has a COA for the medal from an unofficial mint (like for example the Shanghai New Century Medals Corp which produced the 2012 Snake Dance and 2014 Great Wall from Shanghai Pass to Jaiyu Pass among others) ) or physically send the original COA? Or, should one email a digital photo of the COA to an NGC agent after we have submitted the order?

Thanks for any insight you can provide to make the authenticating / grading process run more smoothly for us submitters and the NGC graders.

8. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

I contacted NGC and they told me to just photocopy all Coa's and send them in with medals when submitting. They also return everything when they ship back to you.

9. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Many of the older medals dont have COA: Feng, Qin Emperor, Datong, and I'm sure many others...and they are from private mints...I'll provide as much detail as I can and hope for the best.

10. mmissinglink

Good info Elkslayer.

I look forward to the details Barsenault...thanks.

11. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

You can also suggest titles for the medal slab. Always good to get in a date into the slab. If you have a high value or unique coin/medal ask them not to slab until you and them agree on the title.

12. mmissinglink

How would this be done? Through e-mail correspondence or on the order form? What would be an example of a "high value" coin or medal?

I also noticed that some of the NGC slabbed 2011 Xi-Shi Holding a Pearl medals have the medal serial number on the label and some do not have the serial number of the medal on the label. Would anyone know if having the serial number of the medal appear on the label is a special request thing?

Thanks for the good-to-know info KOT.

13. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

I seen that too , when i filled out grading form i indicated the coa numbers for each but they did not put them on the label when they were graded. I think i seen the same for the wutai and emei medals too so i did the same for them and put coa on the form but still waiting to get them back hope to have them this week.

14. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

High value is a relative term; expensive, unique, rare, very important to you or never/rarely been graded by NGC or PCGS. I would call them and speak to someone in charge to determine possibilities before writing it down and mailing with the provision that you need feedback from them before slabbing. Stress that you are not trying to influence the grade! Your only interest is that the right attributes are documented on the label. NGC is reputed to have a lot of resource material regarding Chinese medals and advisors.

I have always thought that coins or medals with etched on serial numbers should be have same numbers on the slab label. Helps with tracing these coins as they change hands. Also helps establish the bonafides of the slabbed coin/medal. The Shanghai Jewish Ghetto medal has the serial number on the slab label. I think for now you may have to specifically ask them to include the serial number on the label.

15. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are few reputable private mints companies in china. All design are original. They employ in house designer and few of century mints designers are formal employee of official mints and very well known.

Only those private manufacturing produce fake coin and medal. In china, they not even classify as private mints.

16. andrewlee10

Do you guy notice the Xi shi silver is out of sudden appear : - 2 famous ebay china dealers have 15 pieces each. The first release is small then when people chase for it the private mints will continue to mints it till 50 pieces.

Insider news are important. It will not get it here, China modern coin forum or Livesbusinesschat even some of us did commented that a lot of members in those forum provide helpful and unselfish information. Analysis it and fall into trap. Bob has been finger pointing by some in CMCF even he has no intention at the moment when he post the video.

Now, they make him as part time coin/medal dealer which has declare in his post. :p

17. andrewlee10

This is not by Shanghai new century mints. It is different series.

Guy, Just FYI. there are many lunar medal in china which around 20-30 % of total year medal issuance. Carefully select the one with value.

Chinese in china treat the those lunar medal as gift in CNY. some will not appreciate in value at all.

18. andrewlee10

MS 70 First release, early release and so on. you will gain if you not bought it at peak. I loss half of the value for panda 30th anniversary 1 oz gold PF70 in 2 years ago BUT I breakeven now. Therefore, beware the market rate.

This is the same for my 2004 MS70 Early release and so on.

You tend to win if you have holding power and time. Buy and sell at right time and place. It is an art

19. Stark

A lot of useful info on last pages, especially from Peter and Andy.
    Thanks to all involved people for bringing up interesting facts and thoughts.

I'm a little bit confused. Considering the mintage number, "motive", and size/weight I thought this is the same series as Snake Dance. Do you maybe have pictures of the other medals from "Snake Dance series"? Or it's just 1?

What are your thoughts Andy on Snake Dance medal? Do you think is worth buying or overpriced (yeah I know, different tastes and all :) ).

20. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

How are people sourcing their Mountain Resort Medals? You don't have to mention names or any special deal you have; this is just to help others who may be interested. The price is already running up! What is the expectation of the price trend in the next few months. It's probably not going to be cheaper than it is now. But don't think any of the other medals in the series have lost value, yet.