Silver / Gold for SHTF

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ProspectorJim, May 18, 2015.

1. ProspectorJim

ProspectorJim New Member

I have noticed there people buying large amounts of metals for SHTF and something i have been thinking about is if there really is a true SHTF
    event wouldn't it be more prudent to spend your $$ not just into Silver / Gold but to diversify and also stack things like long life foods /water/ base necessities (toilet paper /soap/medicines/defence items)

During SHTF famine events i have read about people trading ounces of Silver / Gold for a bag of rice and some clean water etc etc . and lately i have been spending all my $ spare on metals

So my question is what do you think would be a good $ ratio of metals vs food+necessities.

2. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For a SHTF scenario I think it is better to have a remote country acreage somewhere to escape to with your food stocks and hideout there. In suburbia people with food stocks will eventually stand out when they are not getting thinner like everyone else around them and soon they be everyone's target. Also everyone closeby can smell your food cooking. Not good situation at all when everyone is in famine. Better to buy a remote large country acreage, stock up with food, supplies, then stack PM's last. That's what I did. I also paid off my Melbourne suburb house in case SHTF does not happen. Best to have all bases covered if you can afford it.

3. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I don't care much about SHTF and whatever scenario. It's not in my plan.
    All I do, is much like a squirrel in autumn, I buy all I need that I can buy already now instead of later. Nonperishable things. Food, no. I do hold some bottles water as reserve, not for SHTF but because I don't trust State enough to not suspect interruptions. But I have "stacks" of shoes, boots, raincoats, socks, shirts, and a plethora do-it-yourself stuff, some not needing electricity just manual, in case. All secondhand. I also buy things I not need myself but that I think others will like to buy (good looking clothes, belts, decoration, etc), just because I saw a pricetag that appeared as dirtcheap to me. Maybe in some future I'll start to be a flea market seller now and then. Not that many years ago I had zero reserve, replacement when broken. Whether S H T and or F happens or not, I have some stuff that people (me included) can use. What I buy now I do not need to buy later. Hard to frontrun someone that already bought.

4. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's different horses for courses.

I like to have the offal for breakfast, a light cut for lunch, and roast for dinner.

I live on the top floor of an apartment building so sold my horse. I stack tinned food and bottled water for a couple of months.

5. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Buying in bulk of you have the storage room makes economic sense, esp for non perishable items. I don't believe in SHTF scenario myself but it is good to play the odds.
    Read books like furfel's book on the Argentinian crisis. There is no ratio of metals to good s recommended. Based it on your storage room and bulk buying.

6. ProspectorJim

ProspectorJim New Member

Thanks for the input all, As there is too many unrealistic tin foil hatters on the net which is why it is hard to get a sensible idea to future proof myself.

BTW my view on SHTF is more like whats happening in Greece but i will look into the Argentinian crisis even though it is unlikely here in OZ but myself i personally hope for the best plan for the worst ...hmm Tassie rural property is looking like a good idea....hmmm no must buy more Silvers

7. Porcello

Porcello New Member

Maybe it's better if you check what happened in Dubai and Spain when the real estate bubble burst. More likely to happen in Oz and NZ than other SHTF scenarios IMO.

8. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Here is my guide on how to survive SHTF, TEOTWAWKI and other such stuff that involves the world collapsing.

1)Get naked. This is vital. Naked people mean crazy people and you will be able to streak at will through army roadblocks and zombies before anyone can get their head around what is occurring - make sure to scream wildly.

2)My observation of riots has shown me that the red house brick is perhaps the ultimate weapon of choice in improvised urban combat.

3)You will need a means to transport your brick and of course a packet of vegtable seeds for when it is time to repopulate the earth. A small brightly coloured plastic carrier bag is perfect. It can also be used as a portable water store, urinal or hat. You may use it combined with the brick to make a convenient seat as being naked the ground may prove uncomfortable.

4)Grow a big bushy beard if male. If female stick twigs in your hair This will make your crazy defence even more powerful.

5)Always move at full sprint while screaming wildly. I assure you in the event of a riot, civil breakdown or 'collapse' no one will bother you.

6)If you are hungry club someone unexpectedly with your brick, take a few quick bites (only the mentally prepared to survive at all cost will make it) and sprint off. You will not be pursued and you will have gained protein.

7)Bear Grylis recommends the following to wash down a meal.

[​IMG]
    Source:

9. House of Commons

House of Commons New Member

As the only NON Aussie here I can tell you that you need a car covered in spikes and cow hide. No Aussie SHTF scenario is complete without Hockey pads and a mohawk haircut. Or a supercharged Ford Falcon!! A crossbow pistol is a bonus too.

10. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've been told that a guitar flame thrower has become the new must-have SHTF item.

11. SpacePete

All I need is a map to people's remote country acreages.

Seriously, in a real SHTF scenario you are going to want to be in a defensible community.

12. House of Commons

House of Commons New Member

What a lovely Day. You can tell this is not an American site because no one has mentioned guns yet!! That being said ... AK47 and plenty of magazines . I think for Aus and Canada it would take a while for chaos to set in, resources are plentiful and food can be grown anywhere. If China invaded Oz then that would be a different scenario. The dollar would be worth jack Sh!t and gold and silver would be the only way off the island... But we know the Aussies would rather die than run from Charlie.

13. Skyrocket

In a SHTF scenario I doubt very much it would be safer living in suburbia then on a large remote country acreage. When hunger starts to set in it would be absolute kaos in suburbia. Desperados and marauders everywhere. Police/military would be vastly outnumbered and little use. There is little to no law in SHTF scenario. And theres much more guns % to people in the country then suburbia. People will think twice before attempting to rob country properties/people in SHTF scenario. In that situation if I see someone walking to my house (house in middle of 40 acres) I give them a warning shot and if they don't turn around I would shoot them dead and leave their bodies there for others to see what happens to trespassers on my property.

14. Gary007

Gary007 New Member

I will be part of the mob, so I don't have to worry about stocking food because I will be at your house!!

15. Skyrocket

That's ok, I leave your body and your mob's bodies next to one of the many "trespassers will be shot" signs on my property. :D

In a SHTF scenario, morals and the law go out the window and survival is the new law and what rules. Those that cannot adapt survival mode will probably not survive. In a SHTF scenario people/neighbours in country are more likely to help each other out then in suburbia. Fuel supplies will quickly run out and suburbian mobs will be restricted to suburbia. Country folks are always more prepared with food stocks on their large properties and in most cases they can live off their own land. I would help my neighbours out with marauders because they would probably target my property next. Best to stick together with your neighbours and look out for each other in that situation and kill any marauding mobs like yours! :D

16. SpacePete

You can't stay awake forever. You will have to sleep eventually. If you have guard dog it could be poisoned. That's why a tightknit community is safer than a lone holdout in his rural bunker.

And being a member of a community in such a scenario should help keep you sane, assuming you are sane to start out with.

17. Porcello

Porcello New Member

That's why I stack land mines!

18. Skyrocket

I would not be alone and would take it in turns of sleeping.

Most suburban houses do not have guns whereas most country ones do. If a mob of marauders with guns attack a suburban house, would the neighbours with no guns help out, or would they sh*t and hide? That's why I think a tightknit suburban community would not be as safe as a country one, especially when suburbans quickly run out of food and are starving. That would quickly break up that tightknit community that you speak of. Have you thought about that?

I'm sane now but in a SHTF scenario I would need to be insane so I can spare no one to best survive! :D

19. Skyrocket

Where I would feel much safer -

:cool:

[​IMG]

20. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

[​IMG]
    Source:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKIWjnEPNY[/youtube]