Today I found (while detecting)...

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by PrettyPrettyShinyShiny, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

At least you getting out for a swing.

Ring should be worth at least as much as the $2.30 schrapnel. :)

2. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

It is Tassie so wouldn't suprise me

3. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Went over to the local college for a trial run with the infinium, this morning. 1st hit was 2 bits of silver wrapper,2nd 1 pull tab 3 a 20cent piece 4 a 5 cent coin.
    numerous bits of wire and finally the remains of an old steel drum which put out a massive halo at a depth of 2 ft 3inches. By the time I'd dug that out of the volley ball court I was knackered.

4. Christos

Christos New Member

Come rain,hail or shine im off this weekend to give my {new to me} SD2100 a good workout.
    I got it over 4 months ago and havent had chance to even swing it in the local park.
    Trying a few spots west of Goulbourn looking for the shiney stuff. Wish me luck....=)

5. Eureka Moments

Good luck Christos. :) I had a SD2200d and it worked finding gold nuggets and lots of other interesting bits and pieces.

Take note of the junk you dig and at what depth. Generally the older and deeper your junk the better your chances of finding older other things of value or nuggets if you are on the right type of ground.

6. Eureka Moments

1 nugget 0.42 grams and a quartz specimen I havent cleaned up yet.

New spot and only there for an hour so happy. :)

7. Christos

Christos New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well the rain came down and the wind howled and then the sun burnt you to a crisp.Lucky, no hail.
    I cant give the cudos to the SD2100 for the little nuggie but i can say thanks to my mate who let me
    test drive his GPX5000. Im still smilling !!!!!
    Biggest one i got... Thanks Trent.
    Now to plan the next trip...:):)
    Cheers
    Chris

8. Eureka Moments

Well done Christos. :)

Great buzz when you find them, whatever the size I reckon.

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Mixed bag at the park today - a US quarter and US penny in the same hole, a KGVI halfpenny about a metre away, and in between them, the first detector hole of someone else's I've ever found in a park - with a coke can still lodged in the bottom. Huge plug that had been replaced, but dead grass.

Then it was down to the duck pond which is low because of summer - found about $5 using just the pinpointer in front of the wooden dock where everyone feeds the ducks - will have to head back when the water is even lower!

10. Eureka Moments

I knocked out 7 alluvial nuggets and 2 more inside quartz for a total of 3.2 grams. Best piece 0.92 grams.

Good day. :)

11. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

A few days ago but at a remote beach i found $2, an Abberfield industries token and a Sth Korean 500 Won. (thanks google!)
    If i was up north id be heading to some of those storm damaged beaches. [​IMG]

12. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Yah I finally got some runs on the board. Nothing great but not bad for about an hour and a half, across 2 places.

Money and specs, spot 1 Jewelry spot 2. Nice little find on the ear ring. Not sure on the stones, and pearl. However it is in a .925 so may be real chips who knows ?

Was good with the CTX I was able to identify trash really easy, however still learning the little variences and signal readings. Still a lot too learn but on the right track me thinks.

[​IMG]
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/181_img_4774r.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/181_img_4782r.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

13. Byron

Byron Guest

Today i found a 1969 20c piece and a 2011 10c piece, outside of a school. Recent rain must have brought the 20c piece to the surface as it looked like it had been buried there for an awful long time.
    No detector was required.

14. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Had a quick half hour in between a few things today, found $3 what was interesting was that both 50c are the same year ? One with a lot worst condition than the other. The $2 is well corroded as well. Good depth find somewhere between 15cm + in semi rocky beach area/sand. Found a few thumper sinkers also. Gave them to a couple of local fishers who looked at them like WTF did you need to hold to the ground ? They were like snapper sinkers in a river ?

Also what do you guys use to soak/clean coins like these ? Not sure they will take the 50c and $2 like it is over the counter at shops ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Eureka Moments

16. Eureka Moments

Electrolysis perhaps?

Works great on old silver coins, but dunno about modern coins.

Otherwise just farm them out when making small purchases one or two at a time. (Say "got given this in my change yesterday...still legal tender.)

Otherwise just use use in parking meters, car washes or vending machines....no pesky human to give you funny looks. :D

17. Billythekid

Billythekid New Member

Here's my worthwhile keepers from detecting. Any decimal has obviously been sent back into the system.

[​IMG]

This is several years of finds made with my Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro that I bought new in about 1999 or thereabouts. I find quite a few pennies as well but they don't generally make it to the stack - a lot of the copper coins come up in very poor condition. I was stoked when I found the Florin and Shilling.

When hunting, I try to think where cashed up crowds may have been all those years ago (if they were likely to be drunk - even better) Most productive areas for me are old racecourses/tracks and sporting grounds.

next,

[​IMG]

The cross is marked 'silver' on the back. It was in shallow water in the river murray. The coins here were found without a detector. The round 50 and Florin the kids got as change (I'm looking after them :) ). The canadian? three pence I spied when I was a kid. It was on the dusty and dirty floor of a cinema projection room, upstairs in an old town hall.

Bill

18. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

I should have brought out my detector!!! Darn it! Hope I'm allowed out to the beach on the weekend :)

19. Emanance

Emanance Guest

I saw a 'MineLab Au' Television advertisement today. I think it was on '9'. Looks like detecting is getting popular.

20. Eureka Moments

Went out with Uncle Russ and another bloke new to the detecting game today. On the road at 7.30 for a 45 min trip up towards Talbot.

Detecting was reasonably pleasent up till around 11am. After that the temp got up around the 30 deg mark and things were rather much less reasonably pleasent.

New bloke found a 2.36 gram nugget and three little ones for a total weight of 2.80 grams. He is very stoked.

I found 4 bits as well, my biggest 0.41 grams and a total weight of 1.02 grams.

Uncle Russ found about 15 pieces....as he often does. Largest piece 1.70 grams and a total weight of 5 grams.

8.8 grams and zero ant bites between us for the day. :) Bloody March Flies were out in their thousands.

I am rather rooted. Have some nugget pics, will post them tomorrow after a large sleep.