Today I found (while detecting)...

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by PrettyPrettyShinyShiny, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

35 in Bendigo is usually closer to 30 around my area, but still hot and uncomfortable. I found my best piece, an 8 grammer, on a 40 degree day a few years ago when I was much keener than I am nowadays. In warmer weather I usually try and hunt in areas with more tree cover or along lower lying creeks and gullies which tend to be cooler ahd shadier. Also the southern side of hills and slopes can be a lot cooler. When it gets cold and wet I go to the same areas and work the higher and unshaded spots.

Over this summer I have pretty much stopped hunting for gold and have only detected in suburban areas for coins and relics. Lots of shady european trees to work under and not far to travel home (or to a pub :p ) if it gets too hot.

If I was going to hunt gold around Inglewood this time of year I would be doing it either early mornings or evenings/nights. Much cooler and many detectorists reckon their machines run more smoothly at night due to less electro-magnetic interference.

2. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

EM, I imagine just doing the hunt for metals is thrilling and rewarding in itself. Is that why you chose that username? You love the hunt? :D

Yeah detecting in the morning and at night seems the only option during summer in central Vic. Although I noticed it usually does not cool down til after it gets dark, so there's lighting issues. Bring out the spotty.

I been meaning to buy a Minelab metal detector so I can do some gold detecting on my property when I'm there holidaying but the good ones are way too expensive ($5,000+) to buy for a part time hobbyist unless one spends serious time detecting. I'm thinking of buying that cheap new "Minelab Eureka Gold Metal Detector" for $1,200 from Miners Den but it's nowhere near as good as the expensive ones.

I'm certain someone is trespassing doing detecting on my property when I am not there. Sometimes I can see footsteps all over the place in some areas just like there would be if someone is detecting. I have not seen any dug out holes yet, so I guess they must be filling them back in and leaving their footsteps. All the quartz sitting above ground on the property draws them in I guess but my property is pretty secluded leading me to think it's likely a close neighbor who knows that no one lives permanently on the property. I don't like the idea of knowing that someone is trespassing on my property to come and steal my gold! :mad:

3. cashgoldsilver

cashgoldsilver New Member

I found an IPHONE 5s :p while detecting yesterday which I am trying to - SOLD :D

CGS :)

4. Eureka Moments

Great find, theres always something of value to be found. Doesnt have to be old or rare to be valuable.

I found 3 virtually unused car mats the other day which i will use in place of mine when it gets wet and muddy. Also on a recent Saturday eve I found 2 cricket balls and a virtually brand spanking Grey Nicholls testical protector. Sanitized the protector and gave it to a kiddy neighbor who plays cricket but didnt have one. Gave him the balls too but he already has a couple. :D

5. ytrader

ytrader Member

you what!? i wouldnt touch that with a 10foot pole!!! no stanitizer will get rid of where it's been.... :|

6. Eureka Moments

^^^ The kid had been using the shared ones at the cricket club and his Parents are grateful.

Waste not want not. ;)

7. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

EM, thanks for the advice in the PM!

8. Eureka Moments

Went for a swing after work today and knocked out a 1935 sixpence.

Didnt think much of it until I checked the mintage and (I think) found that they are the one of the lowest mintage of all Aussie pre-dec coins...392 000. :) Contrast that with the 1954 shilling I also found which has a mintage of 16 188 000.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. Eureka Moments

After work session at a place I visit regularly yielded 2 nice coins...1947 florin and a low mintage 1931 half penny. Also an old "Jesus, Mary, Joseph" medal and a crud encrusted round im pretty sure is a trading token.

I keep returning to spots that have thrown up good coins and relics, especially spots from my early outings with the 3030. I am much better at using it now so theres still been good things I didnt get 1st or 2nd time there. I also remove every target I dig so there is less and less junk to deal with each time. ;)

11. dandaman

dandaman Member Silver Stacker

Found my First silver coin last fortnight an it's a florin

[​IMG]

12. Cind3r

Cind3r Active Member Silver Stacker

Im sure you dont want to tell anyone your spots but i have to ask where is SA is good for detecting for coins?

13. dandaman

dandaman Member Silver Stacker

Any old park or oval...do some research about what's around you and when things where built

Asking questions to senior people helps if they grew up In the area also

14. vrexec

vrexec New Member

guys any ideas why i cant see any photos in this thread? it just shows

15. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Resized_20230723_063707_147301673713858.jpeg
    I wasn't detecting, but at work filling a utility trench in an alley in Gunnison.
    I was just digging around in the dirt under the asphalt layer and out popped this old horseshoe.

Makes you wonder the story it could tell back from the days when people rode horses down the alleys here.

sammysilver and oziwassabi like this.