Today I found (while detecting)...

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by PrettyPrettyShinyShiny, Jan 16, 2012.

1. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I thought seeing as though our "Today I bought..." thread was doing so well, maybe we could introduce the idea of showing off what people have found while detecting in their local parks, beaches and goldfields.

PPSS

2. Guest

Guest Guest

YOU STOLE MY IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j/k

I will probably venture out this week (weather permitting) & post up finds here too. Judging by my last thread, there was a fair bit of interest.

Treasure huntin' me hearties... ARRRRRRRRR! and all that.

;)

3. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

haha .. yeah I only just found your post yesterday about a minute ago! haha. It's funny how we all get excited, yammer on then realise, CRAP! this is an awesome stand-alone thread to be added to.

I can't wait to see everyones pics for inspiration.. although nothing beats wiping the dirt off an old two buck coin in the sand haha!

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

First :p

[​IMG]

These sub-gram nuggets are from Maryborough in VIC, wife and I found them in 2006 or so while on a detector course through Coiltek.

5. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

My collection so far this year, nothing very exciting.

Items in right hand column:

1) Aus 1$

2) Eng 1Pound

3)Aus 1 Cent

4) Eng 5 Pence

5) Singapore 10 Cents

6) ? 1 Ulm?

Equipment used Minelab 4500.

[​IMG]

6. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

totally agree. I'll have to take a photo of my goodies to show them off ($4.10 and a bottle cap hahaha!)

7. Sumerian

Sumerian Member

I like looking at youtube on peoples finds and the systems they setup to refine the black stuff.

I would do this if i lived near gold but i do not think there is gold around country in SA.

8. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There is gold country in SA. Do some research. Im from Vic so I dont know exactly where to go prospecting but have heard of gold being found in the Adelaide Hills before.

"Miners Den" is a detecting store located in Salisbury. Maybe go there for some local info and equipment.

9. Sumerian

Sumerian Member

Ok, if anyone knows let me know where i could start around the riverland SA, i know some may be in the hills, but 200km away. I dont think i can find gold along my part of the murray river anyway.

I just didnt want this thread off topic so did not worry to much in asking.

I may get one oneday to just do parks etc.

But i like how people on youtube get that black dirt from the sluice box, take it home and refine it more with the blue bowl whirlpool systems etc, i dont think there are gold fields like that here, may have to research as you said.

A random one i found, has more on the right to look at.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDVvAFDrIGE

Another one i remember seeing, i guess it is an automatic gold pan.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=3PWBVkcON7I

10. Eureka Moments

[​IMG]

1904 British shilling found last Sat.

11. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

These are finds I came across in four separate sessions detecting. The longest I have spent detecting was around 2 hours and came up with the red bottle cap and $2. That was the third time I went out with my Nugget Snoop Pro. The first time I discovered lots of rubbish on the beach, but also found $2 and a 10c coin. The second time (on a beach) found nothing but rubbish. Today, I found the matchbox car, the *car ignition fitting?*, the green bit of a matchbox trailer, something that resembles a bullet and a pretty old manky bottle cap...

..I don't think I'm going to get rich, but it's nice knowing that so many people have walked over the top and I'm the one who took the time to have a look :)

[​IMG]

12. Byron

Byron Guest

Correct me if i'm wrong here.

To get the pre-decimals you have to hunt around in built up areas that existed before 1966. Is this right?

For example i live in an area that was farmland until 30 years ago. So the chances of me finding silver pre-decimals in the local parks here is almost nil.

13. Eureka Moments

Look around for mature trees, particularly non-native ones. Chances are an old farmhouse may have been nearby. Also old trees are where people may have sat in the shade and dropped coins out of their pockets.

14. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

Great advice. One thing I have learned very quickly is having the ability to determine if it's something you really wanna dig. If you just want to potter around, digging is just as fun as scanning the area so it's not going to be a concern whether there is a bottle cap or a dollar. The other thing I learned is that digging into sand = way easier than cutting a plug of turf from the soil. So far, despite only having one go in the dirt, the beach proved to have more cash around, whereas the dirt seemed to have cool weird stuff, like old matchbox cars and the like. I will DEFINITELY do some more research and find out the really historical areas that may provide more lucrative/enjoyable/interesting.

15. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Some Interesting points ! If you scan areas such as homesteads, you will find a hell of a lot junk. Pay extra attention to trees and stumps many a nugget is masked by trees that were'nt always there. Dig all contacts. Always rescan after filling hole. If working a creek bed concentrate on the short side of a bend, gold will settle on the slow side of the current.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Like I said before there's an art to reading parks and learning likely drop zones. It takes a little time to learn but a little experience and patience will teach you a lot too

I was out for a swing at a new potential today but when I arrived it was super busy. I did a quick eyeball assessment of the site which is large high traffic and good potential. Looks a promising site but I'll have to come back at a later time I think

17. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

Good idea.. I guess it's all about the people movement. Watching the people is the key! (and where towels are shaken on the beach!)

18. Eureka Moments

19. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

Very shameless - but relevant! I think I'll stick to my nugget snoop til I win lotto for your beast! Hopefully one of our new detectorists buys it and posts some pics of the glory they find with it..whether they find bottle caps or nuggets. Every find is a good find!!

20. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

ps.. have to update - went out just on dusk last night to dig up two targets I found (but had to leave to go home and have dinner). One was a 20c coin! WOOOO HOOO! and the other was the roof of another matchbox car. Forgot to add the pic of this cool hand made sinker I found on the beach as well. I have to take a good pic of the lot again..

Cheerio, fellow treasure hunters!