Huge divide between Spot and Physical

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 1for1, May 6, 2011.

1. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

Was looking at their shipping details last week also. Whilst I didn't sit down and do the maths, the impression I got was that their item pricing wasn't low enough for postage that high on orders under $1000 (to fly under customs radar) to make it worthwhile.

2. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

My standpoint is unfounded just as yours is .You say its a possibility but then you say its unfounded ...try not to contradict youself in the same sentence .I never ignored all logical reasoning i just pointed out my view on things The failure is you not reading my posts My understanding of running businesses is fine something i have done for 25 years unlike yourself being an employee .I knew that by your post it wasnt just a lucky guess two different mindsets are needed while you make excuses i wanted to make money see the difference? It hasnt inconvenienced me at all i have been buying it from overseas cheaper than i can buy it here .So you can try to educate me all you want & point out my striking flaws but dont whinge when i do the same for you .I have as much evidence as you & was only having an opinion on it just as you are ...It is a public forum is it not ? so dont be a dickhead & make out that im wrong & you are right like i said earlier both of us are not privy to the information that could support our arguements .Simply trying to educate me hahahaha what a wanker stick to being an employee Enjoy your bundy clock :lol: & have a nice day :cool:

3. Guest

Guest Guest

4. renovator

Whilst i didnt sit down & do the maths hahahaha but came to a conlusion anyway hahahaha like i said stick to being an employee ... you are hilarious

5. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

You're perfectly correct there. it would be plain stupid to purchase for under $1000 - the shipping would indeed make it not worthwhile.

6. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

However, that being said, if you buy for more than that then it is definately worthwhile to buy from them!
    The more ounces you buy the less significant the $75 fixed shipping component becomes, eg for 100 ounces that becomes 0.75 cents fixed plus 0.25 cents per ounce => $1 / ounce shipping.

That would definately make it worthwhile to buy through them as $1 per ounce added to their price would beat the pants off anything you can get from our local dealers.

7. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

agreed. so long as you can get it through customs smoothly, which brings us back to the age old problem of buying bullion from overseas.

8. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Just make sure you avoid FedEx at all costs! Use UPS instead. if you supply them with the correct codes etc then they will not automatically charge GST the way FedEx do.
    Also ask vendor/dealer to mark package as :

Investment Grade Silver - NO GST APPLICABLE

9. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

Renovator, I never made a standpoint - I just pointed out how ridiculous it was to make such a statement without knowing anything other than their shortage of silver bars and all the reasons why your conclusion was illogical. Every event has a probability of occuring - it doesn't mean it is the most probable outcome.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what flaws of mine you are pointing out other than the fact that I am an employee - which you keep kindly highlighting for me. Only a small minority of the population are business owners, and that doesn't make them a better person or worker than anyone else IMO. Obviousely what makes a person "better" than anyone else is clearly an opinion, but what I think you are getting at regardless. In my profession, it is very difficult to be a business owner and not necessarily a path I would choose even if I had the extensive experience and capital required. One of my best mates started his own IT business when he graduated uni which I encouraged him to pursue, however this is not a possibility in my field (ie. probability of successful outcome = as close as practical to zero). I am very pleased with my salary and employment opportunities, not to mention the freedom from burden when I leave work for the day. 25 years running a business might make you good at running a business similar to yours, then again it may not. It certainly doesn't mean you can step into any business and from your attitude I would hope yours isn't similar to that of the Perth Mint. For all I know, you might make pet rocks and sell them. Now, if for example I quit my current career and started up a pet rock making business, which would likely be challenging yours for market share, I would still think what you said about PM is a load of BS for all the same reasons as I mentioned earlier. I would hope any business owner or member of upper management could understand why. Invest capital and temporarily reduce revenue stream to DOUBLE production capacity of that stream for future business growth. How the f$%k do you jump to the conclusion that they have made an obvious mistake???? I'm not sure you properly understand the principals of capital expenditure.

As far as educating goes, I am a life long learner and would be happy to learn something new everyday of my life. I certainly do not pretend to know anything that I don't and would not pass on false information. I am happy to give people the time if they are looking to help me. Somehow, I dont think you share the same views...

10. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

and hope the courier doesnt like the sound of that! A mate of mine actually bought a TV the other day and was tracking the delivery and saw that it had been marked delivered earlier that day when his miss' was home, yet they didnt recieve it. He requested a copy of the delivery docket which had his name spelt incorrectly and a fake signature. He brought this to the attention of the post office manager, and then when he got home that night a neighbour up the street came along with the TV which he had found in his yard about 6 blocks down. So looks like the delivery person nicked it but got busted by their boss after being alerted and dumped the TV at a house up the street on his way home from the shift before he got caught. In summary, would certainly would pay to have insurance on any bullion deliveries!

On a side note, I actually recieved a box of bars from PM once that arrived with a gaping hole in it. they were all still there luckily!

11. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I somehow dont think this would be an issue with UPS. It is in their best interests to keep Gainesville (and their clients) happy as Gainesville is a massive client of theirs.
    That being said, as far as i know the shipping fee one pays already includes insurance.

12. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

This silver bar production upgrade is a complex one because it involves a new building, knocking down connecting walls, installing new equipment and moving existing equipment.

This had to be planned in advance and we had no way of knowing that it would happen right at the time of huge demand - murphys law.

We would have liked to stock up beforehand but demand was too strong for us to be able to build up any stockpile to get us through the downtime, maybe we could have started stockpiling ages in advance but you just don't think you are going to get such a continued strong demand.

As to the management professionalism and claims we are a bumbling govt department, well we aren't perfect but you can't have idiots or govt employee attitudes when you in a business handling $15 billion worth of metal a year. How long do you think the mint would survive without a stuffup (losing metal, sending metal out before being paid etc) if it was run by Govt employees?

13. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

And Bron you have been correct in your prediction ... install the new press, and the ar*e falls out of the silver price :)

14. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

But I predicted that on the basis that a price drop usually means demand drops as people get discouraged (that has been the pattern for years now). However this time demand went up. This is a big shift in retail investor pyschology and means trouble for anyone going short.

15. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Probably a little unfair on Govt Employees Bron, after all it's the Politicians that make the wasteful decisions... but thanks for the update.

16. Turk

Turk Active Member

Say it again Bro. Bron!!!

Only use BOLD CAPS this time - especially those last five little words.

(I want to print it out and send it in a polite letter to a Mrs. B. Masters...)

17. Guest

Guest Guest

"the true price of silver is the physical sale price" - the pig in the video I posted.

18. renovator

Now once more for the dummies ..... there is a physical shortage of PM silver ...right? most dealers cant get perth mint silver ..right? They could have made a lot of money ...right ? so they are losing revenue ....right ? All you have to do is pick up the phone & talk to a dealer & ask how long they are waiting for PM products something i have done . I have spoken to 4 dealers & ALL have complained about PM & their delivery times & misallocation of products promising to deliver & not doing it .Get off your high horse & check what im saying look at aurora et luna site look at bullionbourse site look at ainslie site our & see if they have PM products in stock when usually they have plenty but there is none !!!!! you dont have to be a brain surgeon to work out they lost money & sure they will make more in the long run but that wasnt what i said in my post it was about the money the have lost whilst the conversion was taking place A simple observation that you have turned into a different can of worms from your failure to read my posts & turn it into another arguement .you remind me of my ex missus allways have to be right & have the last say .I admitted we were both talking out of our arses but you had to educate me some more because your a sook & couldnt just leave it at that .I will stand by my opinion that the time management & job schedule could have been handled better.You dont have to agree & i dont expect you to It was just my opinion . My observation on you being an employee was correct something i can tell by your posts i wasnt saying im a better person just noticing the different mindsets invovled in both positions.
    Your narrow mindedness is astouding still saying my posts are BS I can see your point of view but oh no you must be right what a sook .I like to learn most days aswell but im afraid there isnt anything in your posts i can learn .Im not the one pretending to know everything you are with your need to be right ..Your not sure i understand capital expenditure hahahaha you get funnier by the day .Now once more for you my slow on the pickup engineer all i was saying is that it could have been handled better & they lost money in the months it is out of production & there is a long wait for PM products . Please take the time to stop crying & read this post for what it is .Now do you want to buy a pet rock ?.Oh man people like you make me laugh little cry babies waaa waaa waaa im right your wrong .

19. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Given up TV guys ? :)

20. renovator

Im too busy flogging pet rocks to watch tv :lol: