Huge divide between Spot and Physical

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 1for1, May 6, 2011.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

1oz Koalas have no mintage limits. 5oz & 10oz were officially suspended, 1/2kg discontinued, 1kg still being banged out by the 10s of thousands. I think the 1/2oz and 2oz share the same press as 1oz, but 1oz demand is higher.

2. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Active Member

You can easily get 1kg Koalas at dealers cheaper than you can buy 1kg ABC or PAMP bars on these forums right now.

3. Nukz

Nukz New Member

This can be a complicated subject, is it not possible the prices for coins are still high simply because certain shops want to lock in higher profits?

That said coming back to supply/demand, if people are willing to pay the price then i guess there is demand for prices that far above spot.

The question should be posed to shops/dealders, how much do you buy the coins for?

4. zachary898

zachary898 Member

Just last week perth showed "out of stock" for 10oz bars but apparently they're for sale again at AUD 355.30 per bar? if i was to purchase some would i be waiting 4 weeks?

ok after you click purchase it shows

TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE.

limited stocks expected during may & june.

please refer to our blog for more information.

to stay informed about future product availablity, ensure you are registered to receive our regular email newsletters.

http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/Buy-Silver-Bars.aspx

5. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

It is a scheduled shutdown and has been planned accordingly. You don't have near enough insight to argue it is a poor move as there are many factors we are not privey to. But something like this would be carefully planned, and you don't shutdown a production line without being certain it is financially worthwhile. A smelter for example might go down for 2 weeks or a month in a major shut, in which time concentrate can be stockpiled. When back online, they may ramp up production rates to eat away at the stockpiled cons, or leave it for when the concentrator goes down, or is undersupplied ore so they can keep producing. The same principals apply to silver and even their supply, but you are also forgetting two very important facts. They are still making coins and may be making them at a greater rate than they were previousely as they focus their resources and silver and minimise lost revenue over this period. Secondly, they are increasing their capacity to produce bars and will then be able to make up for lost production. This project will also provide the ability for them to INCREASE their revenue in coming years. We of course do not know what the payback period is on this project. So maybe you will now appreciate that an operation like the mint is not like "99% of businesses", and clearly you have no experience in that sort of industry.

btw, I am an engineer working at a mine (and no, I don't own it :rolleyes:), and have some idea about feasibity studies and life cycle analysis - not that it matters really...

6. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

when i spoke to them last week they said they may have some 10oz and 1kg coming in by Friday and the website would reflect such stock.

7. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

It is only a mistake if you think that this time right now while they are off line is the absolute peak time to sell bars and that once the production ramps it will be a bad time i.e. past peak selling period. This is not the case IMHO

8. goldpelican

Nuts isn't it. There's an incredibly expensive bar being advertised on here at the moment for example.

That said, there's still the "immediacy" and "privacy" premiums to take into account - some folk would rather drop $1300 on an anonymous purchase than $1220 at a dealer that requires ID, or will deliver in a month or more. You're an unsecured creditor during that time.

9. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I believe that freight is worked out as: $50 + 0.25 cents/ounce to Australia

So for example if you bought 100 ounces: freight = $50 + 100 x 0.25 = $50 + $25 = $75

So then the added freight cost = $0.75 per ounce.

So far i can tell, this would still make purchasing from there attractive to what you can get here in Australia per ounce.

GP et al - are the freight charges i've outlined correct?

10. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Really? a few links would be good... thanks

11. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

you guys " I love perth mint i love perth mint " Me " I dont care i dont care " hahahaha we have to agree to disagree on this one both sides have valid points & both sides have not enough knowledge on what is really happening & the factors invovled so in fact we are both talking out of our arses i'l leave it at that

12. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

lol - i think Renovator has summed up the situation pretty eloquently ...

13. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

$AUD is in our favour too :)

14. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

15. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

International Shipping: Payment for international orders can only be made via wire transfer. Shipping rate (for everywhere except Canada) is a $75 flat fee plus .25 cents per ounce. Shipping for Canada is a $60 flat fee plus .15 cents per ounce. Customer is responsible for all duties and taxes that may be charged. If a package is unclaimed by the customer and sent back to Gainesville Coins, we will refund the purchase price minus 5% and all shipping and insurance costs incurred by Gainesville Coins.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Daniel

an email from them last week

16. hyperinflation

hyperinflation New Member Silver Stacker

Well, then heres an idea: Buy a load of 1kg coins and sell them undercutting the overpriced bars on here... then either the price of bars will drop to reflect the new supply, or you'll score yourself a decent profit...

17. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

+1

Thanks for that. It's a pity they don't accept credit card purchases from overseas clients...

oh well, will just to work with the direct wire then.

cheers

18. goldpelican

19. hazy

hazy Active Member

that bar is an especially rare PAMP bar that I have personally caressed and excited its molecules. :)

You're correct though GP - I was hoping that the immediacy and privacy aspects would give it a boost... the buyer could look at it and decide, no pressure, or maybe make an offer at the time . I'm not the Good Guys but I'm not immune to the sway of a big fan of cash when I need some...

I doubted I would get that price but it was worth a shot.

20. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

Well not really. I don't claim to love Perth Mint, I am saying that your standpoint is unfounded. You are assuming that the entire management team and the engineering support are unable to perform their jobs on a fundamental level. This of course is a possibility, but the only supporting evidence you have is that there is a lack of stock and you have ignored all logical reasoning and jumped to the conclusion that the project is a failure. I do not know why you would do this, maybe a lack of understanding of such processes, or possibly because this situation has inconvenienced you - I could only speculate.

I was simply attempting to educate you on a series of striking flaws in your argument. Whilst it is your opinion, the fact it is posted here means it could potentially influence the opinions of others and on the evidence at hand is a load of horseshit - and an unlikely scenario at best.