Huge divide between Spot and Physical

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 1for1, May 6, 2011.

1. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Active Member

Yippe, a lot of dealers allow you to make purchases under $5000 confidentially. While some on the forum are looking to make big purchases, most of us aren't, and therefore the confidentially advantage doesn't exist for most buyers on the forum.

2. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

<head explodes>

3. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

lol, i want free silver , GP tell em

4. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

umm... the $5000 value is the cumulative total - not per transaction. eg if you purchase a $1000 a pop, on the fifth purchase any and all dealers will ask you for all relevant ID information.

SAVVY????

of course if you're never going to be purchasing more than $5000 total in PMs then you're wasting your time anyway

5. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Just a bit off topic, but has anybody here bought buffalo rounds (1 Oz)?
    I'm a bit confused because on the Gainsville site it suggests that they are 90% silver and weigh something like 27g, yet the rounds are clearly marked as 1 troy ounce .999 silver ?

6. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Active Member

Yippe what you are saying is half true. If you walk into a dealer and make a $5000 purchase and walk in a week or 2 later and make a $3000 purchase, odds are they aren't going to remember you were here last week or the week before. Unless you are going to the same dealer every week, after a few months then you might have a problem.

7. bulliondeals_au

bulliondeals_au New Member

8. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

As far as i know they are 999 silver & 1 troy ounce where did you see the 90% & 27 g reference ?

9. bulliondeals_au

bulliondeals_au New Member

I think a lot of dealers sight your id before they even let you in their shop nowadays. So they are covered for over 5k from the start.

10. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

this thread is like outa the twilight zone

11. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I'm buggered if i can find the link where i saw that - basically i just googled to find out more about Buffalo Rounds (lol - thats how clueless i am!)
    but i think they were referring to the original minted coin which the buffalo round is supposed to commemorate ... the original minted coin with a buffalo on it was 90% silver and weighed about 27g ... so was a little under 1 troy ounce.

But i'm pretty sure the round is 1 troye ounce and 999 purity as this is what is imprinted on the coin ;)

12. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I order for friends and recently I had the opportunity to sell from my own stash at Providentmetals prices. My friend would have saved the shipping and I was happy with the price. The problem was that I didn't want to reduce my ounces of silver and there was nothing that I wanted to buy. So, Provident got the order. So, some of use who bought when silver was under $20, won't sell even now. BH that should give you an indication of the mindset of potential sellers. Other than panicked newbies, why should seasoned veteran sellers sell for anything less than the maximum they can get in the market place?

13. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

Bought them over the Internet, picked them up after a week when I was free to do so, they said they had it eating for me.

14. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

I hope this is a joke, because it is utterly ridiculous. If anything the guy would get a bigger bonus. These works would have been planned at least a year or two in advance as it is capital expenditure. They would have looked very carefully at their timing and determined this period to be the most suitable, or this was the earliest delivery of the equipment. Whilst they have got reduced production during this period, the increased capacity when the project is completed will more than make up for potential lost sales and to top it off, they missed a dip (which they likely predicted to a degree based on silvers seasonal trends). I certainly don't think they would have lost any worthwhile customers during this time. I havn't heard anyone say "I'm never buying from Perth Mint again". So if they did their feasability planning properly this will prove to be an excellent move and hence the project manager would be inline for a bigger bonus potentially....

15. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I will not do anything for silver.......... Gold maybe ;)

16. renovator

Hahahaha no jokes here silvermark the guy is a failure to knock out a profit making line for months is an epic fail !!!! Have a good think about how much revenue they have lost in the months that it will be offline ............................... now you have thought about it I hope your joking . You are obviously an emloyee not a business owner Maybe they can afford to do it 99% of businesses cant

17. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

AFAIK the Perth Mint is still knocking out 1oz and kilo coins as fast as the existing production line can handle - i.e, they're running at capacity. They don't have a separate machine for every coin size - but my understanding is that the 1oz and kilo coins are knocked out by different presses.

Bit of insight here - the 1oz coin has the highest profit margin, and has a massive demand, and the 1kg size is the largest VAT-exempt chunk of silver available in certain wealthy countries in the EU, and has a massive demand.

So while you're reconfiguring the production floor with the setup and installation of a new press, what sizes do you think it's the most financially prudent for a for-profit mint to be producing? The 1oz and 1kg coins that will sell out as soon as they're made, or the 2oz/5oz/10oz coins that are minted "on demand" and require downtime to reconfigure numerous pieces of production line equipment all the way from sheet rolling, planchet stamping, polishing, minting etc to produce? Yeah, let's shut down the money-making machine (literally) so some stackers can get their 5oz fix.

Also - minted coins and cast bars are not made on the same production line. AGR was only fully acquired by Perth Mint a year ago - not every corporate entity moves at the same speed as the markets expectations.

18. renovator

I thought the 1Kg coins were offline because thats what the new machine was for & the 1oz coins have reached their limits ?

19. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I think the 1KG coins are still up and running, it's the 10oz bars etc that are down.

1oz Lunars and Kooks are all at their limit, but the koalas are still going strong.

20. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member