WOW! This Kookaburra is a Home Run

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by silverlover, Apr 27, 2011.

1. silverlover

silverlover Member

Ive been eyeing on tons of ebay auctions for kookaburras and a few coins strike me the most as having tons of high bids. One is the 90 kook that consistently gets bids in the $80-$100 range (sometimes you might see between mid $50 to-$70)

The other is gilded 2008 Kookaburra. A few months ago this was getting in the low $100s and now its approaching $200 from what Ive been seeing. This auction here just finished

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5r1cRZyg1nuGtcFgLN8xAERzkDg%3D#ht_1274wt_1011

Not surprised, the 2008 kook IMO is the best looking coin and having it being gilded makes it that much more sexy :p

2. silverstalker

silverstalker Active Member Silver Stacker

WOW, if anyone wana buy mine for $150 let me know!

3. Cerul

Cerul Member

What a coincidence I just bought one today
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/615_img_0585.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Not sure if the gilded version was only for the ANDA show as yours shows. If so, that could explain the extra premium ?

5. silverlover

silverlover Member

I too happen to own a precious gilded 2008 Kook. :)

Austacker, the only gilded version was from ANDA. There is no other version.

There are kooks from a few prior years that were gilded, like the 07 and 06, but their mintage was much higher than the 08.
    It was a beautiful coincidence, the 'arguably' best looking kook (the 08) had received the least mintage out of all the other kooks.

If there was a flagship coin in the kook series, it would be the 08 gilded kook. If only there was an 09 kook (aside from a few fake ebay ones)

6. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I've got a 2005 gilded kook, I'm considering buying other gilded ones and having a collection. This is good food for thought... cheers! :)

NB: Any gilded kooks going for a sensible-ish price, let me know!

7. magickookaburraride

magickookaburraride New Member

I had been a lurker on this forum for about a week now, long enough to learn that I wanted a few kookaburras :)

I like the fact that they change every year, makes em that much more interesting...besides the fact they are georgeous.

I had to register after seeing you mention my new gilded 2008 Kookaburra, well I paid for it already...it will ship out tomorrow.

I have a question, I looked all over online and didnt see any of the gilded 2008's including the gold plated pin ?

When I noticed the other 2008 on ebay didnt show a pin in it's pictures either, I went looking online...nothing ?

Did they stop including pins after the 2007 ? Or was it because it was a special ANDA version there was no pin. ?

I cant wait till it gets here :)

8. silverlover

silverlover Member

Personally, not having this kook still makes a true kook collection incomplete...just kidding. :)

Magickook, there was no pin unfortunately. That would have been the true cherry on top. I guess they made up for it by making this coin over 300% more rare than the other gilded versions. :p

I think this coin will become the next big homerun. When the mania phase (public gets in) begins, I think people will be looking for the upper tier in coins like lunars, pandas, and kooks moreso than phillies, eagles, and maples. Yes, silver will be near impossible to get but limited minted government back coins as beautiful as kooks will be most sought after. If you take a poll of a favorite kook, you will get all kinds of answers.

But as a betting man, I bet you will see the 08 kooks at top or at least NEAR at top of the list. Then get that coin gilded, in limited mintage, then you have something beyond a home run....you have a grand slam. :)

Personally, I like these coins moreso than the 07 kangas (which I have more than the 08 gilded kooks) for a variety of reasons. And this coin is not just 'another paint and decorate a Perth Mint silver coin bla series' since the kookaburra has established of a very successful series.

Ok, Ive done enough typing. But damn I love the 08 kook. I have all types of 08 kook except for the kilo version, and could have bought it cheap for $800 several months ago on Apmex. Arggghh.

I have the 1 oz BU, 2oz, 10 oz, and of course...my fav, the gilded. Dont have the kilo

9. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1, I love the 2008 kook. IMO, its the best in the whole kooks collection.

Glad I have a 1oz and a few 10oz of the 2008 kook bullion coin.

Slam

10. silverlover

silverlover Member

Just wanted to put this in: Hey Im on a roll, lol

Is there any other gilded version of 08?
    No there isn't. Just the ANDA version as seen in the picture above.

I dont see a pin in this version.
    There was no pin in this version unfortunately but by making it 300% more rarer than the other gilded versions, it makes up for the difference.

Whats so special about this gilded kook, what about limited privys?
    This all up to debate which I really dont care for, so I just have to give you my opinion. Personally, I think privys are pretty cool. The problem with privys in the Kook series, at least for me, is that there seems to be a million different forms of them and makes it hard to keep track which is part of it, mintage, etc. Having the kooks gilded...well, it Keeps It Simple Stupid for me. Also, I think having a beautiful coin like the 08 highlights its best features makes it that much better. Putting a privy there would not give it appeal as it would gilded

Anything else that makes this coin special?
    While Im having playing an expert here :), what makes this coin special is that it took perhaps the best looking kook, which is part of one of the best government backed coin series in the world....and making that gilded. Not only that, out of all the gilded kooks, this coin has the least mintage. 3000. Another thing too is that 08 kooks are very hard to get a hold of. And for a very good reason. I think the kook series will be the best or one of the best series in the world when the mania phase (public gets in) starts. Take the best coin (the 08) and have it gilded in limited in mintage and 1+1 does not equal 2. Pandas are awesome but they have a stigma that the kooks dont have.

Ok, thats it, Im super excited about this coin but I think I made pretty decent points, or at least I hope I did. hehe

11. silverlover

silverlover Member

Got mine and prospect and stamps. Check there

12. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like the proof versions (made between 1990-2005)
    The quality is incredible even on the first 1990.
    I have spares to swap:
    1, 2, 10 oz , kilo,
    2+1, 10+2+1, kilo+10+2+1 collections.

13. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You need a 2008 Hummer to make your day :)

14. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Just to clarify, are you saying that all the Gilded version were ANDA releases or just the 08 year they released an ANDA version only ?

I saw some For Sale on here and they didn't appear to be ANDA releases ? Looking at my reference material I believe this to be the case. If so then really ANDA releases can be hit and miss and really carry no real premium in the aftermarket for these in particular ?

15. magickookaburraride

I didnt see any available here in the states looking last night, I just saw 2 listed in Australia...one wasnt avail for some reason and the other was 130 AUS plus 20 AUS to ship it here.

I figured 150 AUS was a bit more in USD so I put my maximum bid at 165....it went from 17 bids to 27 bids in last 20 seconds and the last guy under me bid 160...so I ended up paying 162.50

Now 2 things, after winning the auction I was fist pumping like I just scored the winning touchdown...I didnt buy this for investment or making money on it...it was just something I wanted period. Most of my other toys go for a hell of a lot more than 162.50...so this was a cheap indulgence.

Second , I was like crap...where is the pin in the pictures ? I had looked before buying , and noticed none of the 08's showed a pin with the coin.....I just wanted to be sure they didnt come with one.

So thanks on both accounts, my spur of the moment purchase seems to at least be one of the higher regarded Kook's....and there is no pin to be had...so nothing missing from box...both very cool :)

16. silverlover

silverlover Member

Im speaking only about the 08s. ANDA was the only one doing the gilding for that year, no one else.

17. silverlover

silverlover Member

No problemo. :D

18. silverlover

silverlover Member

A 2008 Hummer wouldnt make my day,it would make my life !:cool:

19. magickookaburraride

The gilded 08 arrived today, along with some friends.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Lunar Dragon

Lunar Dragon New Member

Well, After reading this thread i am a very happy collector as i bought 2 of these # 2609 & # 2610.
    I had been watching the price on these for a couple of years after i bought them & was a little disappointed as up until 12 months ago you could buy them for less than issue price ( i wish i had bought more from ebay then ) so i put them away & forgot about them.
    So it was a very nice surprise when i read this thread & yes i agree with the general opinion here that they are the best looking coin from the whole kook series.