Would You Be Demanding Too (Provident Metals)?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Oct 14, 2014.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I'm sure that all dealers that get returned coins put them back up for sale (almost) immediately...APMEX is no different in that respect. They wouldn't stay in business very long if they didn't do that. If APMEX sets itself apart by offering an unmatched, no-questions-asked return policy then that's a big plus for them and they deserve the customer loyalty that seemingly they are getting from many of their customers.

I'd bet that most if not all mints also put back for sale many of the returned products they get back. My point was that the much closer inspection of coins these days is a new phenomenon that didn't happen most of the time 2 or more decades ago. It's just that more and more people seem to be doing these days and the outcome of that may be that mints will start having a portion of their collector coins ship directly to a TPG company to be graded and slabbed or the quality of production may be stepped up. In either case, this will likely raise prices on numismatic products because mints will not want to absorb these additional expenses. And I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing.

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Hey missing, I agree with you 100%. I'm just staying away from Provident. I'm a bit fussy these days...or least my wife tells me so. hehehe.

I am getting my money back on the 2, and just ordered my delectable 4 kilo Perth Mint horses from Apmex. It's all I'm stacking currently. Hoping to get 20 - 30 of these before they disappear, or prices get hiked up to the moon. Fingers crossed. :) Hoping to get another 20 of these kilos at the end of month. Hopefully APMEX will still offfer them in mass, at their current prices. The other value add they offfer on these is a 13.00 kilo case on all horse coins ordered, makes stacking a lot easier, and I insert a couple off moisture absorbers on the inside and pack them away. I think they have the best deal going.

I just got my 10 Goat Kilos in the mail. I produced a video. They're okay. I won't be ordering anymore. I'm just not crazy about them. I try, and I try to like them, but just can't seem to go 'wow.' Maybe that's a good thing, in that they'll be a low mintage number off these coins. I may get A roll of 1/2 oz or 1 oz...but that's it. Certainly not hundreds and hundreds like I have the horses.

Sorry for the rant...but I agree with your analysis above. And I think as technology increases, more and more are going to be ultra picky...so, I'm staying away from obvious nicks and spots. :))

3. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

barsenault, careful ordering a few from Apmex just before a large order. I have found no rhyme or reason for when Apmex ups the price as quantity declines. just ordering 2-3 coins, may trigger a price rise on the remaining inventory.

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Yeah, watching like a hawk. Unfortuately, I have to wait until the end of the month before I buy those 20 if they are still available. I cheat a little. They usually give 5 biz days to pay...then a 48 hour 'warning...so I have at least 7 biz days to 2nd day them a check...so I figure by end of this week, with your help of pushing prices to 15 or lower on spot, and them ordering at least 20 more...and them keeping prices around this level...please dear Lord...I should be good...if not, oh well, I move on to the next best kilo...probably the kook. Not crazy about the koala.