Will we ever recover?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SilverNash, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

I'm one of those slinking in the corner not posting much, not from the embarassment of my losses but only because its just so hard to both type on the keyboard and wipe the tears away.

:D

2. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

I believe that generally SS are of like-mind. The different words that we each choose to express ourselves can make it appear that we're coming at it from opposite directions, when its not so. Enough about this ... cheers. :)

3. Sandgroper

Sandgroper New Member

Love this forum so many different trees in one paddock , been in several months now and yes down in value now ,today I expect to buy 9000$ pm bars and happy to do so . I will tell you in a few years how my silver investment went . Cheers

4. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

IMO ,you have to be in for the long term ,is silver cheap today who knows?, it was less than 3 years ago it was around 17 or so, at 28 that is not a bad return, 45 it was probably overdone, when you see huge bull runups take some profit, when you see dips buy some more:) sounds easy......... :):) if you are buying bullion you need to just dollar cost avg and try not to be emotional , its just math :)......... 3 years ago 10 oz at 17 . you screw up 1.5 years ago and buy 10 @ 42 ,you see the dip and buy 10 @ 27, your even with the market at 28.60, so you are even, waiting for a run up, not too bad??, what where interest rates in the bank the last three years? if you believe in silver you buy the dips wait for the highs and lighten up, im following this strategy for 20 years , I own my fair share for zero cost , im not a huge bullion buyer as i believe coins like panda,s ,lunars even the dreaded ASE have an intrinsic value to them , i cant remember exactly all the silver experts here can tell you , if you bought rolls of 2000 perth lunar dragons in 2000 silver was around 5.00 an ounce , you can sell the coin all day long for 100.00 ,not a bad return , keep your perspective............ buy dips sell some on high,s put profits in your stack. just one note , no one can predict absolute tops and bottoms , so if you have a nice profit never be afraid to take some profit....... good luck , 20 yearslater you got a 5000 oz stack:)

5. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't know about you guys, but silver is becoming more of a hobby.
    Granted, a hobby I can profit from at times, but I like the shiny.

edit: But my end-game still stands, buy silver whilst GSR is favourable towards silver, wait for GSR to turn in favour of gold. Trade silver to gold. Then when real estate bubble pops - buy a house.

6. No1joey

No1joey Member Silver Stacker

Zoom out and look at the graph over 10 years. Stop studying month by month unless ur a commodities trader. I wouldn't sell even if silver hit $100 tomorrow.

7. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

You are buying things at a premium and then valuing them at spot, of course you're going to see a drop.

You need to either buy things that are closer to spot, or reassess your valuation method.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Maybe the recent words of David Morgan might help alleviate your fears?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOXUv36Q7Eo[/youtube]

He's making the bold prediction of silver @ $60 (US) by the end of 2012.

Read into that what you will.

9. SilverNash

SilverNash New Member

None of you are actually reading it fully are you? I dont care im not saying im looking at selling, maybe 50 years or so in the future.

Yesi know so far im down alot of momey but as i ve said and repeated and trying to make it clear here I'm not stopping investing im dont believe that its going to stay that way.

Im asking if anyone has (NOT ME NOT ME NOT ME) given up, Iwouldnt and i know theres people losing out on more than that (im sure they have much much larger stacks too) but I'm not saying we've all lost money (JUST THAT ITS GOING TO BE SOME TIME YET UNTIL WE RECOUP THOSE LOSSES)

Got it?

10. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't get it. The title of YOUR thread is 'Will we ever recover?'
    To me it sounds like you're already having fears about your investment.

11. SilverNash

SilverNash New Member

Ok well maybe i should have put in something like in the bear future in the title too but does nobody fully read every post now?

12. SilverNash

SilverNash New Member

Lets end this thread, bored of getting bashed over slight technicalities.

I mean some peoples threads are just titled "." and the topic is fine?

13. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

I don't understand the outcome of the topic?

Will those who have "given up" come out and post a response? "Yes you are right, I've given up!"

"Investing" in anything takes some form of courage of one's convictions (Eg an idea I am "invested in" means I have some commitment to it). I've bought plenty of real estate, but if I looked at my "gains" after 3-6 months, it could look very disappointing with all the entry costs (and exit costs if choosing to quit) - so it depends on one's horizons and intentions.

The current dollar value of my PM stash is substantially"less" on paper than on purchase from mid-November ... but my convictions haven't changed - in fact if the spot price changing (for whatever "reason") gets me thinking ... then I might re-assess my convictions.

This happened quite recently ... and I bought more.

So I think if you post a question like this on what is essentially a pro-PM forum, then all you are likely to get in response is a bunch of people re-affirming their own convictions (and confirmation biases) ... which I must admit, does make for great reading!

Cheers,

14. SilverNash

SilverNash New Member

People who were giving up could have read posts that weren't so much heated hatred of why some people might be giving up that could reassure them that long term their is no reason to give up.

People who were thinking that (maybe short term swappers) there was no hope could also challenge there own ideas that silver can be a short term investment with little risk.

15. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

For sure - then maybe think about posting with that outcome in mind ... eg. "Thinking of giving up? Here's why I'm not"

I think there is so much "knee-jerk" reaction on the internet (and folks are so happy to spew forth opinion before seeking understanding) that we lose out on some potentially rich dialogue. I like reading through forum topics where a good "conversation" has occurred, it helps me form my own understandings - and can sometimes radically shift my view ;)

BTW I think the reason some topics are just "." is due to an edit - users probably cannot delete an entire thread, so to "remove" a previous topic, they will reduct it.

16. SilverNash

SilverNash New Member

Omg I can't believe i got my there and their mixed up in previous post (pretty for for an english lit A-leveller lol)

But- ok maybe I could have explained things a bit better but you are totally correct about the "knee-jerk" reaction. Like I said i could have titled it better but im amazed at how harsh other stackers can be lol

EDIT- I put any spelling/grammaticalerrors down to being knackered from work

17. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Hey all I love this place , how about you? I hope everyone is having a great day out there...:)

18. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Ha ha... :lol:

I think that SilverNash actually meant for the title of this post to be "Will *you* guys ever recover?" As for SilverNash, he's doing just fine, but his tender concern is for us poor souls :(

Empathise with what you say about silver becoming a hobby. But not keen on the gilded ones, because apparently the gilding can come off, so that's no good.

19. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

If you (not you you, but 'you' - get it? Neither do I..) give up now then you entered for different reasons than I did.

For mine, metals are exen more important than when I entered a couple of years ago so I don't understand why people people would have given up.

Discl. Im more of a gold stacker than silver stacker...

20. SilverNash

SilverNash New Member

Couldn't agree with you more on those last two statements

Edit- although i got probs 5-6 years for kids and still about 60-90 years for my own gain (we'll see how old i get lol)