Will swap knowledge of future commodity value for financial nous

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by RomanControl, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

Problem here, Roman, is this.

You ask for advice on how to invest in a commodity you can't physically purchase/hold yourself, and are wanting ideas on how you can do that. OK, fair enough - except, the problem is this.

You're effectively calling a motor mechanic and asking "Hey mate, my car's making a funny sound, what's wrong with it and how much to fix it?".

There is an answer to that question, of course, but in order to provide useful information and an accurate cost, the motor mechanic requires more information than you've given him.

So.

I am trying to think of what it might be that you've come across, in order that, by knowing, an answer to your original question might be able to be provided without (figuratively speaking) trying to play Pin the tail on the Donkey whilst blindfolded in the ISS in zero gravity.

Question (and I mean this quite seriously) - will divulging what you know now to the few hundred people of 7 billion on planet earth invalidate your opportunity to be the "first or only one in" on the "deal"?

If the answer is "no", then perhaps by providing a bit more detail there may be some here who may be able to help.

As an aside, I don't think it's legal for a "normal citizen" to own terribly much uranium, enriched or not. Many governments have a thing about that stuff, mainly because it's actually not that difficult to create a nuclear weapon out of the stuff and blow a large chunk of wherever you happen to be to smithereens ;-) <joking, of course - but if your thing is uranium, I'd say "move on").

EDIT: I know it's hard to infer tone and so on in text, so I want to clarify something right now - I don't mean the above to be read in any other way (despite the odd bit of humor) as anything other than a genuine attempt to provide a response, and reasoning why we need some more info on your original post. It's not an attempt to poke fun, or derision back at you, Roman, or anyone else. My belief here is that you believe you've come across some information that you believe in, and want to act on, and not only do I respect that, I want to - as far as my limited knowledge goes - discuss, and possibly help in that quest.

2. ReturnToZero

ReturnToZero New Member

You mean engineers like the pope, protestants and the illuminati?

3. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

re your post in Mike's 97 days to doomsday subject "Weisaupt apparently creating the Illuminati" reference is incorrect.

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I think I've met you. Matthew, or is it John, or Luke? Nope, I'm sure it's Matthew.

You have now reached level 6 on the scale of "Shiney's boredom factor" - good night.

5. ReturnToZero

ReturnToZero New Member

Is he that boring? Should I just sign out on this one? I get a feeling I won't get too much intellectual stimulation out of this

6. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

ok midnight man , that's fair,
    The commodity i want to invest in over a 2 year period is wheat.

Now i have told you Ill have to bank on your goodwill to aid me in investing in it.

The Jesuits put a considerable amount of research into food percentage expenditure/ average income and the vatican invest alot of time and influence aquiring control of the means of production

last time I checked, a few months ago. The world body that holds an excess of food commodities to stave againt famine had a negative reserve of wheat for the first time ( their name escapes me at the moment)
    in addition to this the knights of malta released a wheat disease in Africa last year, in my opinion, which is both unstoppable by known means and has now spread into the middle east. called redrust

Since Rome was sacked after 2 years of starvation, they have learnt to use food to engineer revolutions.

Grain is the foundation of food,

And wheat is the cornerstone of grain.

Also if theres any biblical investors they will remember the story of Joseph storing wheat against famine in Egypt and by doing so aquiring all the gold, silver and land in return.

So now I would appreciate advice in how to invest in wheat over a 2 year period , with a fixed outlay. And without having to give a rending to a broker of all my assets.

7. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

systematic i doubt anyone in Australia that isnt catholic knows more about the subject than me

8. systematic

wheat - fair enough - but its not a massive secret

... i wondered about wheat too - the AWB was already sold off to a large consortium

9. systematic

you may be in for a surprise

10. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

It would be a joy to find other
    australians who realise we are being conquered.

So far noone wants to know. The attitude when you explain we are being raped , is -"this rohypnol is delicious, dont be a party pooper'

11. systematic

Pastor Lindsey Williams has talked at length (as he does) about the coming architected food shortages ... its not a "secret" - TPB plan to deliberately switch off and on the food supply etc etc .... codex alimentarius projects at least 2 billion will die from simple starvation and another 2 billion from malnutrition ... thats four billion deaths projected to help meet their target for planned global depopulation in accordance with the Georgia Guidestones ... how to profit .... what to do ... what to do ....

12. systematic

RC, you may find comfort to know there are some very, very switched on people on this forum - welcome to the fold.

13. Midnight Man

Roman,

Your call makes a lot of sense - actually even common sense, depending on one's own beliefs of what's going on in the world today. And with things going as crazy as things are going, a lot of things no-one's ever considered or thought of investing or getting involved in are well and truly "on the cards" these days (if someone had told me 5 years ago I would be buying gold and silver, and preparing for SHTF, I'd have asked them for a kilo of whatever they were smoking at the time) ;-)

I have to also honestly tell you that your particular target is one I don't know much about, certainly not from the investing point of view (though I'm sure I use it every day!). I would imagine that there would be a futures market for it, but the problem I see with wheat is storage. Not that it can't be stored, obviously it can, but then there are a few issues I can see:

- The cost of storage might be quite high, I imagine one would need to keep it in a silo, and I suspect that in and of itself would not be a cheap exercise
    - "Shelf life" - that is to say, quite simply, how long can one store wheat, once harvested, before it begins to go "off"? (A quick Google has led me to: http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/whats-the-shelf-life-of-wheat/ which seems to indicate shelf life isn't a problem).

I do recall there was at least one member here who was involved with bulk food production in some way, shape or form - the "line" I remember them posting was something along the lines of "If you ever need a container load of wheat or other produce, let me know". It may be worth seeking them out (perhaps another regular here can put a name to my recollection), as they may well know some answers from the reverse side looking in (I'm thinking if they produce in bulk and sell, they would know the general process of selling wheat and how that's done, and it might provide you with a way to "hook" into the chain at some point).

I guess the other thing you'd have to think about would be how much you want to buy, do you want to buy (say) a silo's worth and "sit" on it, or do you want to hook in to the supply chain somewhere - if so where? Also, have you considered investing in the actual production side, that is to say, perhaps an opportunity to invest in a wheat producing farm/co-op etc? (Perhaps this is getting to the "ETF or Physical" side of our normal stackers deliberations!)

14. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

Yes investing in a wheat production style thing might be what im after.
    I live in a wheatbelt and have no problem getting wheat, however storage is impractical.

a 30 tonne silo is only $4000 but the wheat will detriorate for a variety of reasons , plus i actually have to bag it and sell it to someone one day

15. systematic

MM is on the right track
    the advice i got was they play the futures markets
    and quite frankly it sounded too complicated and "papery" and i did not resonate with it
    so i dropped the idea because it is not me

16. Midnight Man

You already know more than I do :)

(a 30 tonne Silo is only $4,000, damn, I'd have thought a lot more than that!).

OK - this is going to have to be my last post on this for a few days, sorry, won't be online for a bit - but here's one approach that might just be useful, that being to dig around online for a bit, see if there are any opportunities in the area of "business for sale" - I suspect there may be folk out there looking for a "silent partner" type gig, where some capital is required to get something going or expand an existing business. Might also be an opportunity to look for Organic stuff, it does command a higher price, but risks are obviously higher, from the little I know about it.

Only thing I'd say there is, do your homework, then do it again, and a third time for good measure - I can see this sort of thing beign fraught with danger! I'd recommend you'll need a good accountant, and likely a lawyer, if you're going to go down this sort of road.

Will check in on this in a few days when I'm back on deck, and if I think of something in the meantime, will post then :)

17. systematic

the problem with "wheat" is the risk of impending cosmic transmutation changing its genetic structure over time ... but Monsanto will fix that .... they fix everything ...

18. dcl

dcl Member

Uhhhh wha?

19. systematic

http://www.tmgnow.com/repository/global/planetophysical.html
    Strong evidence exists that these transformations are being caused by highly charged material and energetic non-uniformity's in anisotropic interstellar space which have broken into the interplanetary area of our Solar System. This "donation" of energy is producing hybrid processes and excited energy states in all planets, as well as the Sun.

The adaptive responses of the biosphere, and humanity, to these new conditions may lead to a total global revision of the range of species and life on Earth.

It is quite natural for the whole biota of the Earth to be subjected to these changing conditions of the electromagnetic field, and to the significant deep alterations of Earth's climatic machinery. These fundamental processes of change create a demand within all of Earth's life organisms for new forms of adaptation. The natural development of these new forms may lead to a total global revision of the range of species, and life, on Earth .

20. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

RC, I hate to burst your bubble, but you might want to read this article.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111024164719.htm

As I stated earlier, food production is subject to the whims of weather and are therefor extremely unpredictable. Wheat is grown around the world and a plentiful harvest in one region would greatly offset problems in Africa.

Even if your thesis is correct, the investment might still be a disaster. Don't limit your thinking. If you believe that wheat will be in shortage, then all the other grains should go up too and everything reliant upon those grains. Also, farmland has been and will be a great investment for the foreseeable future. Fertilizer too. Other than corn, which could take a hit if the US stops the corn ethanol idiocy, all of the AG sector should do well during your investment period. But again, the weather will have a huge impact upon the pricing.