WILL SILVER HIT $100 BY END OF YEAR?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by fiddy mil, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Wout

Wout New Member

I think $50 is realistic but am having doubts it will even get to there with a solid base, if we see another speculative run up of the price then theres a good chance it could go higher but then have another correction etc

I think when investor demand starts having an impact on supply we will see higher prices but atm i think there is plenty of silver out there still

2. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

Compare that to the situation with argentina when they defaulted in 2002. Basically what happened was they eventually swapped their outstanding bonds for new ones at about 30% of their original value with much longer expiry - so the vast majority of their debt just disappeared and the owners of that debt were forced to take the loss.

3. capt.sparrow

capt.sparrow New Member

third world countries - especially those in Africa - have their debt written off all the time. in fact i think for any African country to actually pay its debt is a rare exception at best.

Regarding the US debt - well as long as the US has bigger guns than China it doesn't really matter what China thinks... in fact I'll bet the Chinese have already written off most of the US debt they hold, apart from the part they can exchange for farms and other real estate in Australia...

In general, i dont agree with your statements at all. Citizens in a country can accomplish just about anything that they put their minds to, and shedding themselves of parasitic governments is certainly one of the very top contenders for civil war!

Of course those without a backbone or who are mindless drones (or both) wont mind being subservient and having their freedoms eroded, but i reckon there are many more who just wont accept it.

4. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

If they all fall due to a domino effect, physical cash will become sparse.
    The banks hold most of the currency (whether backed by them or the goverment), so while the currency may not be worthless, it will not be in sufficient quantities to support the economy.
    (By holding it I mean peoples bank balances - not many people keep stacks of cash at home)

Depending on the timing that may seal their fate.
    If super gets wiped out by GFC2 there won't be much for the taking @_@

Personally, I don't have super. It may get plundered eventually ;)

It'll take a dive alright, I'm pretty much expecting that.
    However the trade would be with physical silver, and "on the field" I think it will be seen as more valuable than the paper value.
    The same could be said for gold. Even if the charts say $300, would people believe that the ounce in hand is really worth that much?

*holds an ounce out in palm for a sack of potatoes*

I think during those times it's value, like the value of other commodities, will be based on perception rather than what the collapsed market says.

On that note, I think food will be worth more than gold or silver.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I predict $60-$80 this year. I doubt we'll see sub $25 again in this currency.

Gold and silver are a good buy no matter which way you cut it

6. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

You'll actually find that the Argentinian debt is still being restructured. The last major restructuring took place in 2010 and is now over 90% complete from it's 2001 default. The debt did not disappear - the IMF took a large chunk and has been paid back gradually over the last decade. Argentina is unable to raise new debt until the old defaulted debt has been dealt with completely.

malachii

7. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

"It'll go up a hundred fold" right at the end of the video.

We can only hope! :) lol

8. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

Perhaps in NZ, but even then I think unlikely.... 2012 may be a different kettle of fish, though.

9. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

Yep, but by "restructured" my understanding was that a fair bit of the debt was basically disappearing under the terms of the restructure. Is that not the case?

10. silver$100

silver$100 New Member

11. MelbBrad

MelbBrad New Member

I've been hearing about parties stopping for ages. I've been hearing about COMEX going bust for just as long. I've been listening to guys like you telling me this 'manipulation' gives them time to load up. Load up for what exactly? For the POS to remain under $36 for the rest of your life? Bank interest will hive you better returns. It's a f$&@ing joke.

Nothing had changed since the GFC. No one of importance has been made accountable. Laws haven't changed. Except private debt becoming govt debt. Nothing has changed. It's all a scam. It's a joke. More printing. More debt. More war.

12. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Find me a bank that pays > 20% interest p/a.

Silver has gone up from $20 June last year to current price of around $35.

13. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Find me bank interest that pays NEGATIVE 30% over 2 months. Silver has gone from $50 to $35 in about 8 weeks.

It's easy to prove a point when you can pick a time frame. Silver has been a shocking investment if held from 1980 until about 3 years ago. Any savings account at a bank would have been better.

malachii

14. fishball

So you manage to pick the most volatile period when you're trying to lecture me about time periods. What a joke.

If you're an idiot who buys at peaks and sells when it crashes then yeah keep your money in the bank because you're never going to get positive capital gains using that method of investing.

If you look at the past 10 years, Silver has outperformed many other commodities and asset classes and especially cash in the bank.

Blanket statements like "Cash is a better investment than Silver/RE/Gold" are stupid and don't make any sense without specifying a time period.

In theory cash is the worst possible investment you can make since it is risk free meaning the returns will be minimal. Anything else that has risk will have a chance net a higher return. Of course how risk averse you are will affect your investment decisions.

15. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

I suspect that was his point! malachii was trying to show that you could make the returns look good or bad simply by cherry picking a time period. That doesn't mean it's a good or bad investment.

16. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I agree malachi .This is why you should never put all your eggs in the silver basket diversity in your portfolio is crucial to hedge against the others

17. fishball

Pretty much what I was trying to say but it came across wrong.

Was trying to answer the original quote. If you look at Silver or make assumptions about Silver then most certainly there will be cases when cash out performs Silver but if that's your justification for investing 'in cash', it's a big joke. You shouldn't invest in Silver because you think it's going to go to the moon or you expect 1000% returns in 2 years, if you think there's potential, invest otherwise don't. Out of all asset classes cash is the worst performing sitting in the bank gaining interest. How do you think the banks are able to profit and give you interest? Of course they're making more off your money.

18. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

From what I was reading, silver and gold are considered bad investments.

The example usually given is of the story of the Roman Legionnaire getting paid a gold denarus and being able to spend it on a meal, a new pair of sandals and a belt and how that same coin today would get you a new pair of shoes , a meal out and a belt as well. Not sure if it is accurate but it is used to show that the value of gold has remained steady over the last 2000 years.

Silver was always sold to me as a hedge against inflation. It was meant to match inflation rates and allow you to convert it in and out of fiat without any significant loss.

The only investment to be made was from numismatic pieces.

This was before massive speculation over the past year when you could in fact use it as an investment and make money providing you know when to get out.

19. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep thats true...but for a Roman Legionnaire, one Gold denarus equaled approx 16 Silver ones...last check was around 40 today...second there both a hedge against inflation and SHOULD keep with it...IMHO it hasn't...so has upswing...lastly with a financial currency crisis,there would be a flood to PM's or other assets of intrinsic value - likely driving or overshooting the price on basic supply/demand...more to this but just posting a few to make the point...

20. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

No I don't think it will go anywhere near 100 this year but I'm fine with that I'm hoping that iit stays in the 30's for a couple more months and as soon as it breaks 45 USD again I'm hoping to trade up for some gold. I'm into metals for the long haul so I'm hoping it stays affordable at least for the next few years so I can stack as much as possible.