Will people care about premium coins if the dollar collapses?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Arcanist, May 26, 2014.

1. Arcanist

Arcanist New Member

I am stacking to have value during a dollar collapse. So should I get coins with premiums or regular ones? I couldn't find any blank coins either. Are there any?

2. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

stack junk silver ... the best bang for your $ for doom scenario

3. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

If you're stacking sole for a monetary collapse, then you'd want as much silver for the dollar as possible. In this case, go with the lowest premium possible.

4. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

I agree if stacking for a collapse, go with old silver coinage of the country you live in. Population will recognize and value it.

5. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Crystal ball time again.
    A dollar collapse will not affect all economic groups equally.
    Some will lose much, but still have much. Others will lose much, and have little or nothing.

Those who have much, before and after, will value 'nice things', and luxuries, like high premium silver.

I would want lots of cheap silver for - 'buying and trading'.
    I would not be afraid of having some high premium stuff, on two levels.
    First, spot price is likely to be sky high, so premium is absorbed, yes, a shame to use my Freedom Girl proofs as though they were ASEs, but still a bunch of fiat replacement.
    Second, It is extremely likely that this too shall pass, and we will climb out of the hole, and those who enjoy financial privilege will value some silver over other - aka high premium.

And what if the dollar collapse does not happen for a few more generations - 25 year periods.
    How much is that dirt cheap, low premium silver worth, to a prosperous society, living well. Not much. Less than spot is certainly possible, as generic rounds are converted to jewelry or other forms of high premium silver.
    People don't want the cheap stuff when there is money available for the good stuff. That is human nature.
    Knowing what is considered 'good stuff' is another issue, but likely it will not be generic rounds or bars.

Diversify.
    Start cheap, but diversity.
    That's what my crystal ball says.

I like junk silver because it is cheap now, but has the potential of being 'good stuff', with emotional value associated with times past, historical significance, national pride, etc,
    Potential much better than the .999 generic.

6. Arcanist

Arcanist New Member

So everyone agreed on junk silver. Awesome. Where do you get your junk silver from?

7. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

My local shop buys from my neighbors - the tri-state community - at a fair price, and sells to me at a fair price.
    No shipping, I see what I get, sometimes even get to choose my pieces from the batch.
    If all are slicks, I can wait for another day, big turnover in stock.
    Can choose tenths, quarters, halves, or wholes.

8. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

If you believe in the End-of-Times dollar collapse story and you also believe that silver will be seen as money when this happens, then you might consider getting the lowest premium blobs you can find....don't even bother with coins because the premiums are always higher.

10. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The problem is that the Joe6Packs of the world, typically, would only recognise coins as having any value.

In this situation, I would consider having a supply of coins inlieu of generic silver.

11. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Joe Blow in the Coles car park will have no idea how much silver is in a 1945 coin, or how much is NOT in a 2014 coin! Nor will they know whether an ASE is worth $30 (or $300).

The only ones that will know or care is a coin dealer, who will do his best to rip you off, or a member here.

OC

12. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

We'll if I was in walking dead right I'd rather throw a 1kilo bar at a zombie rather than a 1oz Tiffany

13. mmissinglink

Joe6Pack would not be any more impressed or care any more to have an ounce of junk 90% silver than an ounce of shiney .999 silver bar unless they first perceive that silver is really worth the effort to buy. That would require convincing Joe6Pack and it would require no more effort to convince Joe6Pack that .999 pure shiney silver is valuable than it would to convince them junk silver is. So therefore, if you can get silver blobs at less of a premium than junk silver (based on total silver content not volume of product) then it makes no sense to seek junk silver when you can get blobs for less and easier.

In other words, I am convinced that 95% or more out of the next 10,000 strangers I could run into in my city do not think silver coins or bullion are worth owning so why would they perceive any greater value to junk silver than to a bar of pure silver? The argument that junk silver is the best to own in a SHTF scenario is completely unfounded in many if not most cities and towns around here.

14. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

you are sooooo optimistic ... if you find 100 out of 10000 strangers knowing about value of silver - consider yourself very very lucky ... like you won a million $ in lottery ))

15. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

More like 10 in 10,000.

This forum is just about the top one in OZ, i certainly do not know of any comparable, and that has less than 10,000??? members in 23 MILLION people!

OC

16. 10ozhound

10ozhound Active Member

1/100 ppl would know the value of Silver, perhaps even more.
    Unfortunately it's the 99% stopping its true value with their blind faith in the $.

Edit: just had a tipple of scotch in my afternoon coffee. Those numbers are totally fictional and should not be taken srsly.

17. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

hmm.. worries me that we're all talking about a dollar collapse and there is no mention of buying gold instead of silver.

Why do people invest in gold again?

18. mmissinglink

"We" might all be talking about it but not all of us may believe that it will happen any time soon if at all. Instead of a dollar collapse, we may just see "the Big Reset" where most of our debt vanishes into the thin air it was created from. As some other members have already eluded to in different threads here in the SS forum, perhaps there's too much at stake for many very big players who have a very vested interest in seeing the dollar thrive for a very long time. It's possible, even likely maybe that the dollar will continue to be king and the global reserve currency for a loooooong time.

19. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

My critical thinking and observations tell me these things.

Baby boomers and older know 'old money' had silver. They do not know the specifics, but that is easy, if the concept is understood.
    No, not everyone is a boomer, but every family has one, and in times of catastrophes, families reconnect. In a social catastrophe, age groups reconnect, for the mutual benefit. All age groups contribute, as needed.

In the days and weeks leading up to this SHTF, or less, there will be electricity.
    There will be talking heads on TV, discussing this 'new' form of money, that is actually old money.
    There will be facebook, twitter, or their replacements.
    Word will spread.

Trust will be a rare commodity.
    What is easier to trust - old money being used when your parents were first married, or a brand new shiny piece of metal without the backing of any country?
    I mean really.
    'Here, this thing that looks kind of like a coin, with the image of a prospector, is worth more than those silver Crowns that other guy has."
    'Sorry mate, I know what a crown/dollar is, I've never seen that thing before.'

My concern is that in some communities, a dollar is a dollar, and an ASE is worth no more than an 1881 Morgan dollar.
    If there is a fair amount of junk silver circulating - and I have no doubts there will be, based on the number of pieces being hoarded - a trustworthy junk silver dollar may be considered to have the same worth as some generic .999 round no one has seen before.

And how are you folks making change from a dollar - which could be worth not $20 fiat, but $100.
    Where are these tenths and quarters coming from, that are so quickly shunned due to the high premium?
    Will everything cost at least one ounce of silver?
    Junk silver will be making change for the one ounce, and 10 oz bars so popular among dedicated stackers.

Merchants want consumers to buy the latest and greatest, when the tools in the shed work just fine.

When it comes to knowledge, the world is small, tiny.
    24 hours after the first junk silver coin is used in place of fiat, the world will know.
    "In Seattle today, Starbucks started accepting pre 1965 quarters as payment in full for a cup of coffee - will the competition follow?'

So seriously, why would any uninformed citizen accept one of the many, many, generic rounds as 'money', while refusing a fine piece of junk silver - even a slick - except for education.
    You seem to think these uninformed citizens who know nothing about the worth of junk silver, will suddenly understand this whole culture of bullion silver stackers, with government bullion, private mint rounds, bars, cards, and other forms of what could be 'money'.
    A community, a nation, can quickly learn the new value of their old money, far easier that the value of bullion in this new system.
    That's how I see it.

I want premium silver if the world economy does well. Provide the wants because the needs are so easily met.
    I want bullion silver if the world economy does not so well, and hard commodities have value beyond fiat paper or computer chip credits.
    Tell me there will be a total collapse of the dollar - and I believe most of us agree that if one falls, they all fall - and I want junk silver, lots of it (after rice/beans, brass/lead).
    And so I diversify, since when it comes to specifics, my crystal ball is better at hunches, than sure things.

Rebuttals encouraged.

~ ~
    I wonder too why people buy gold - if they anticipate a failure of fiat.
    Imagine if you only had tenths to buy your needs - worth, say $300 fiat.
    I'm old enough to remember when the merchant did not want your business, if your smallest bill was $100 - since he did not have the change.
    I can imagine your ounce of gold being worthless, unless you were spending the whole thing.
    Gold for kings, silver for the gentry - if PM is money. Now if everything is fine, and no failure of the dollar, and PM is a store of wealth, gold may do well.
    Gold bugs are bullish on the global economy, as I see it.

20. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I wonder if he mean't that there should be more discussion about gold when the idea of collapse is presented?