Who ordered Year of Dragon Typeset from Downies?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by picturefun, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Ozi

Ozi Member

coloured type set?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Man when will this "DRAGON BULL SHIET" end!!
    Dealers coping interest free loans and then not delivering the Promised.
    Everyone blaming Distributors or the Perth mint.
    Customers hammering every dealer under the sun when non delivery of product arrises because the dealer wised up to the profits the buyer wanted exclusively for themselves.
    Fair dinkum .
    Ive seen some questionable responsibility shifting in business but this Dragon crap takes the cake.
    One word to explain it all "GREED" and denial knowledge.

REDBACK

3. silvertop

silvertop Member

And a big +1 for this post.

4. picturefun

picturefun Member

Yes, that is true. for 1 oz proof dragon, they did NOT add premium. I guess type set has sig. less mintage, and that is why. I saw at least two sets already sold on ebay for close to $800.

5. picturefun

picturefun Member

Very well said, 1for1! I cannot say I still trust them :D

Although I am in the U.S., so not much choice for Perth Mint coins. Downies and their another outfit EuroCollections sometimes have some coins at decent price where I cannot get from other dealers in the U.S.

6. picturefun

picturefun Member

thanks! that explained it. But why they even bother to put it on their web site? Talisman Coins perhaps also only got a few, so they just tell everyone, Only those who bought the typeset for precious years are qualified to buy. That is a fair way to distribute it.

7. picturefun

picturefun Member

thanks, Very well said, REDBACK! Actually, ALL I want is a BU 1 oz, to go with my collection, but those were all grabbed by greedy dealers. then selling them at 2-3 times more.

8. Bobbywhosit

Bobbywhosit New Member

Hi Boards! Long time reader, first time poster...

Is it just Downies that this has happened with?

Reading this thread makes Downies seem very bad, which may be unfair if they aren't the only Dealer, er, in this position?

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Downies prepare extensive marketing material for mailout - the lead time on preparing this means artwork & printing is done before they would have been advised of their allocation. Every dealer had to apply for an allocation of the typesets, they were not happy to have only received five sets.

Can't see how this thread makes Downies look bad...

10. Bobbywhosit

Bobbywhosit New Member

I'm only new to this game, so the whole 'you can have one, now you can't' looks bad (i understand the short supply etc, just being superficial).

Spose i was more wondering if other companies have done the same/had the same happen.

11. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

This isn't about the mail orders though, this was typeset orders via the website on launch day.

Surely by then they would've known their stock levels and not over take orders, and if they didn't know, maybe they shouldn't have been pre selling.

Just saying.

Not that hard to put something as out of stock or unavailable until further notice, something that most other dealers such as Gold Stackers, Bullionmoney & Bullionbourse are capable of doing.

Regardless of whether this is incompetence or greed, if Downies' customers don't make any noise, nothing is going to change.

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I had assumed the original poster had called them for their order based on what they posted. I work close enough to the Melbourne store I can walk in (or literally run when I heard they were taking orders for three coin sets!) and place an order directly over the counter.

Wish there was a way to opt out of the mailouts though - somehow I'm getting them at TWO mail addresses now.

13. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

they'd like sell it on ebay rather than offer on offical website

14. stackeract

stackeract New Member

On their website they wrote that they only received 30 typesets!

15. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Call them up, give them your customer number and say you want to get their emails instead of the printed catalogue. It might take one newsletter cycle for the change to kick in.

Save a tree maaaan.

16. FelixWankel

FelixWankel New Member

I had one ordered from Downies but they canceled mine as well. I have an outstanding order with downies for about 5k worth of coins. I'm thining of calling them up and canceling those, and not doing business with them again.

17. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What is good for the Goose is good for the Gander

18. Mighty Atom

Mighty Atom New Member Silver Stacker

I did not get as far as an order. I made a verbal request about the typesets when I picked up my Kilo dragon. The nice man in the shop told me to 'phone in on the day but be early'. I did phone them early on the day to be told 'sorry we are already sold out'. I already suspected they would be but Downies do come up with surprises now and then. I have seen extinct items reappear.

19. bevik

bevik New Member

anyone ordered color 1oz dragons from downies? i made my order on 4oct, receiving the email which confirms my order (should be system generated) however no money is deducted from my card, and have emailed to them [email protected] and [email protected] but there is no reply from them.
    so is my order invalid?

20. picturefun

picturefun Member

call them on the phone, they even have a toll free number for US customers. These Perth Mint dealers are having very good business now, so they seldom bother to reply email. Ask them double check with the order, to make sure, since I first told I would get the typeset on the phone, then then they told me in email they did not have any. For colored Dragon, things should be not that bad. And they will NOT charge your credit card until they are ready to ship.

I ordered 0.5 oz colored dragon from their other outfit--Eurocollection, also only got system generated email confirmation, and no credit card charge, I am going to call them these couple of days.

Even the one (1 colored dragon) I ordered from Perth Mint is not shipped yet (the status just changed to "ready to pick up" yesterday), although they did charged to my credit card right after I ordered, which I am glad, because the US$ was strong when they charged, so saved me about $20 for the whole order (with several other coins):)