Whats new everyone

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by SilverTouch, Nov 2, 2011.

1. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Unfortunately the articles are in Chinese but here's some idea of what's been going on!

An awesome auction just went down in Beijing, a 10kg Gold 2008 year of the rat sold for 1 million Yuan.

Total sales excluding fees was 22,697,800 Yuan with a 78.63% clearing rate of auctions!

Some pandas and lunars and other coins in the list, pretty awesome.

[​IMG]

So many people, :D

Source: http://www.chngc.net/main/D_Information/ShowDetail_8190.shtml

And remember the dragon you posted comeaux with the Beijing International Coin expo ticket "right to purchase"?

[​IMG]

Awesomeeeee.

Source: http://www.chngc.net/Main/D_TPXW/ShowDetail_8185.shtml

2. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

My initial goal is almost complete. 2004-2011. All I need now is 2004. I'm looking at taking a chance again on an ungraded coin.
    Not sure where I go from here. Probably take it easy till after Christmas, then resume in Jan. Can't decide if I'm going to continue my collection or buy some value coins 2008-2010 as an investment. I may just start saving and begin a 1/4 gold panda or try to complete a 04-11 1/10 gold collection as I have a 69 08 & 09, though I really prefer to just save up and begin a 1/4 collection.
    Orrrrrrr, pick up some oddball coins I've been eyeing. So many coins, sooo little money LOL

3. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Yes Fishy I translated and read this article early it was astounding the amount of coins that were auctioned off and the money that was generated !!! Thanks for posting this.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling the dragon will be out and selling within 10 days

4. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

If you buy it off of ebay you should be able to get an OMP 2004 for a good price.

I would try to stick with OMP as anything out of its original package on ebay (in the US) more than likely did not grade well and was subsequently busted out of its holder.

happy collecting ! :)

5. Mohur

Mohur New Member

The 04 panda is one of my faves i really like the design... not aware of the unlucky chinese number 4 :lol:.. is this for real?

Busy couple of weeks with a few pandas joining the fold...

10x 2009 my first 09 pandas i think they are my favourite from 9 to 11 years
    4 x 2010 MS69 first graded pandas
    1x 2001 - another first
    1x 2005 - bargain couldn't resist :D
    1x 2010 1/4 gold panda

I'm researching older pandas (pre 2000) and will hopefully start this hunt soon!

On a side note i have been offered a Kuan Yin coin that has sparked my interest. Still researching, but i may add this to my collection. :D

6. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

The kuan yin coins are culturally significant (and thus collectible) for the Asian collectors. The western markets don't seem to care about them terribly much.

7. Mohur

Mohur New Member

Thanks...the coin in question is a 1999 Kuan Yin goddess of mercy...how much are these coins worth?
    M

8. HustliN

HustliN New Member

just added

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/2241_012.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

1 x 2007 first one in the stack. got it at a bargain price!
    1x 1997 hong kong expo 1/2 panda. paid just regular half ounce price. I didn't even know it was an expo coin till a got home hehe/
    1x 2009 got a good deal on it. so added it to the stack :)

also added from a while back

a 1994 1/2 ounce panda. Paid full retail for it. trying to collect the half ounce collection
    1x 1996 again retail price. was my 90's panda.

9. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

There are actually 3 different Kuan Yin coins for 1999. All are 1 oz silver, but they have different designs. I'll have to find some pictures somewhere.

One version has gold plating. The pure silver coins have one facing left and one facing right. Do you know which is yours?

10. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Most people who'd buy Guan Yin anything will be 'hoarders', either because they bought it for spiritual reasons or they consider it a good luck charm. Traders/flippers will be a minority, that should keep prices up somewhat imo.

It's an interesting coin to say the least, I'm intrigued by the Gold holo coin ;)

11. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

i love the kwan yin coins! i am not one of those people that is ready to pay hundreds of dollars per oz, but i have at least considered getting some of these. still want them

12. Mohur

Mohur New Member

This one

[​IMG]
    Source:

13. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Hah, I just realized that I don't know if the 'facing right' is the right of the coin or that kuan yin is facing to her right!

Either way, this coin has an authorized mintage of 66k. None of these have sold recently, but the asking prices are around $500.

So probably somewhere in the $300-$500 range.

14. Mohur

Mohur New Member

Thanks for the info... i can buy it for $150, but it is not double sealed, so in two minds.
    The coin is in excellent condition though.