What's a decent stack?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lunartic, Mar 11, 2011.

1. flogbox

flogbox New Member

$1k increase for each $1 rise in spot is nice so that'd be 1,000oz.

2,000oz is more enjoyable, although bloody heavy! :)

2. greyman68

greyman68 New Member

i have been stacking for 12 months and have 9 kilos Silver, next goal is 100 x 1oz coins or 1 kilo Dragon Lunar.

3. Nub Cannon

Nub Cannon New Member

2000oz is something like 60 kilos right? lol that's like a whole person :p I would love to have that much shiny stuff.

4. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

Spose the next question youve gotta ask is what "educated" (guess) price everybody thinks silver will top at....and when.

5. Nub Cannon

Nub Cannon New Member

well getting the right answer to that is like winning the lottery lol

my guess

top: moon's surface

when: December 21 2012

6. perthsilver

perthsilver Member Silver Stacker

My first goal was 3 months living expenses, but I think you need to join the 1000oz club for it to start to have any real effect on your future.

7. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

For me, a decent size stack is half of my total savings in terms of expenditure (as opposed to current dollar value). I've not invested any $ in gold yet though. In my opinion, I'd like to have around a 15 to 1 ratio of gold and silver respectively. Maybe as high as 20 to 1. With the silver though, I got a good head start years ago when my dad convinced me as a teenager to spend 150 dollars on silver. That bought me 30 oz at the time and that 30 oz plus a few silver coins that my Grandma gave me was all I had for years. In the past 8 months I've increased that by an factor which I won't disclose. I'll say that you can count it on your fingers. I think what I have is a decent stack so to speak. It includes 10 oz bars, 1 oz rounds and bars, american 90% coinage, Canadian 80% coins, and other loose foreign coins that I think are neat just to have like Swiss silver coins. I think the variety is just as important as quantity. I call it risk management.

The question is, how much of your wealth do you want to protect? My wife and I keep separate bank accounts just to have two - its more convenient, but I do all the investing. I use my account as a gauge for what I keep my PM expenditures at and I try to keep them about equal. Its a personal choice, but I like to keep as much liquid as I keep silver.

In terms of protecting wealth, I want to share an experience I had today. Earlier this week, when silver was at almost 37 USD I sold a roll of worn quarters that I had been meaning to get rid of. I sold them at their actual measured weight (~$250) instead of their theoretical weight (~$268) so it was fair to the buyer. Anyway, I bought that roll for $193 (its theoretical weighted value at the time) including shipping last November, so I bought it for 80% of what I sold it for. My wife said, "Great, you made a profit!" I told her, "Let's see about that."

Just as an example off the top of my head, I took the avocado. Last fall they were $1.50 and now they're $1.88. Last fall, they cost 77% of the price that they are now. So, in terms of avocados, I did not make a profit - I just about broke even. Although Avocados do not represent the entire market, I thought that was interesting enough to share.

"Food for thought"

8. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

Great concept. If I'd started with 1 ounce, 14th doubling would require me to sell up my house. 15th and subsequent doublings would be win lotto territory.

9. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Exponential Growth of a finite resource :)

10. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

Don't lose sight of gold. Chart gold and silver over the 'gfc' and although we all want silver price to rise, gold should be the means to preserve wealth. Personally I have about 1oz gold for every 20oz silver.

11. Ernster

Ernster New Member

I love richard daughtys rule.

Buy Some Silver

Go to Bed

Wake up and think to yourself "do I have enough"

If not, go buy some more.

Go to Bed.

Wake up and think to yourself "do I have enough"

If not, go buy some more.

There will be a day when you wake up and say to yourself "yes I have enough".

That is the answer.

12. AU 79 ... 196.97

AU 79 ... 196.97 New Member

For me, the scale i work with, is to have an ounce of Silver for every gram of gold i have than slowly working my way up to a kilogram gold and 1000 ounces silver ;) .... still some 62% short :(

My target for 2011 is another 4 oz Au and 120 oz Silver. Idon't look behond 2011 for now, most importantly don't go and change any PM for fiat, there always another way.

13. trav

trav Member

Question: For those of us on small budgets, is it really worthwhile buying say 1/20th oz of gold when we could get around 3.5 oz silver for same price?

The reason I ask is if silver goes up x, the return would be higher unless gold went up y (y being much higher than x of course, if I buy 3.5@35 and it goes up $10 I get $35.. but on my 1/20th oz of gold it would need to go up a hell of a lot more per oz for any worthwhile return)

Note: I'm not in this for a quick buck - especially since the amount I have means literally that I would only make about a buck heh - but more as a hedge against when TSHF. Just interested in opinions on what to do for Students/Pensioners/unemployed/low income earners etc..

Cheers

*edit to add on* Interested as I'm about to get around $500 from someone (yeah yeah, small time I know).. and I'm wondering if it is worth getting a 1/20th of gold or stick with the 'common mans' PM of silver?

14. intelligencer

Try to buy two or three 1/10 coins. Don't go 1/20 yet.

15. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

$500? I'd be looking at buying a 1/4oz AGE and spend the change on ASEs.

16. intelligencer

I thought about that but low means stackers probably want to have the option to liquidate more frctionally if they were forced to. By dividing it up theycan liquidate a smaller amount and still have some gold.

17. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

in terms of gold, i'd keep away from the 1/20's due to the higher premiums. Stick to 1/10 and above and buy whatever coins you can as cheaply as you can. Looking at my stack i reckon i could move the coins much more readily than the 5g bars. I kinda regret getting those.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Just My opinion ,
    I would split the difference..... the way I look at it your Fiat is better off as a Saving/investment in physical Silver than it is sitting in an account gathering you fee's and earning SFA in the way of interest as a return and the other half of your "savings" if put against your mortgage will not only put you ahead if a problem arises it will also lower the overall interest before you start in on the actual $ you borrowed to purchase your dwelling .

One thing I have read here and elsewhere is that to accumulate is better than to do nothing, you are already way ahead by doing just that a bit at a time when and where you can.

At the same time it would do you and yours well to split the difference and eradicate as much as you can of your interest burden as soon as possible, every grand or so now will save you much more in the long run and can also provide a buffer if a big black swan decides it wants to dump a load on you and it is Saving you money if you can lower the interest that will only compound later as soon as you arer able to.

Never had a loan, dont trust the banks, but just my take on your post.

19. pete

pete New Member

MMMM...... for a low means stacker i would stay with the Silver ($500 ) more bang for your buck (maybe a PM 10oz bar and depending on spot 10-12 ..66 fiftys) its more of a handfull ...

20. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Given the fundamentals of silver i'd have to say that the answer to your question would have to be to invest 100% of everything you have to spare and then some...