What will increase in value more, 1kg snake or 1kg kook

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by chrissilver, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

You know that the snakes in silver come in 1/2oz,1oz,2oz,5oz,10oz,1kg,10kg, now a 10kg snake that would be a big heavy snake. Wonder what the capsule costs.

I would wait and get some horses. In any size, but prefer 1oz.
    Horses seem to do better than Most of the other lunar years apart from dragons.
    The top three seem to be
    Dragon
    Horse
    Tiger
    In that order, there are always exceptions between the sizes due to mintage numbers

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Yes, i kilo bullion Lunars in this series are minted to order so until 2019, we can see many more kilo horses or snakes or any of the designs minted.

2013 saw low spot so collectors / stackers grabbed lots of coins, especially 1 oz sizes, including Lunar Snakes. That means that demand was high and premiums are high on those that were grabbed up. Kilos could not be sold out because they are minted to demand. I haven't yet looked into this but what may actually do exceptionally well are Snake proof coins. Anyone have a read on the proofs? Did they sell out?

As for which coins of the series will have extra appeal, I believe that when the series is completed, the 1 st coin of the series has potential to be a sleeper (meaning that there could be higher demand than normal for the 2008 Mouse). Keep in mind that this was the first year that the Perth Mint released 2 Lunar coins and some collectors had to decide whether to stick to completing the first series or add a different new Mouse to their stack. Many may have passed up on the series 2 Mouse initially and then in 2011 the Mouse saw a second fresh batch minted to fulfill the 300K limit. I think the 2008 S2 Mouse is still an under-priced coin on eBay (though big dealers like APMEX are selling it for considerably more).

The Dragon was way over-priced (IMHO) for a period of time and some people got stung as the value has dropped a good bit since then. I was one who got caught up a little in the hyped Dragon frenzy and purchased 2 10 oz silver coins before realizing that the Dragons were over-priced.

I believe the series will remain very popular with collectors in spite of the fact that some of us don't like the fact that some of the sizes are unlimited mintage and some proof versions can be released years later as part of new sets.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

As mmissinglink said, 1kg coins in Series II can be minted up until the end of the series in 2019. We've already seen a round of reminting for 1kg mouse, ox, tiger, rabbit in Jan 2013 or thereabouts. So the snake should not attract any premium until after the series closes.

Personally I'd buy a kilo for the silver contents sake - if you're chasing numismatic premium, try the 2oz and 5oz coins at current prices.

4. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I would buy tiger since I'm huge fan of tigers and then maybe dragon. :) It's better imo to buy smaller quantities since they are easier to sell. :)
    But would be nice to have 1 kilo coin to put in on the wall beside silver blade and sticks for slaying vampires. :p

5. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

I have a feeling that the premiums on some of these 1kg coins will rise before the series has finished. And then suddenly the premium will drop when Perth Mint announce that they will be producing more of all the past years 1kg coins.

What about the other sixes? 10 oz for example? They can be minted on demand only until the end of that year? Or they can be minted to demand right up to 2019?

If the other sizes, can only be minted in the year they are really overlooked as an investment, it's a slight gamble as you don't know how many will be produced but generally the mintage's are low imo. And you get more silver for your money compared to the 1oz.

6. goldpelican

Only the kilo silver coins can be minted until the end. Every other size gold and silver coin is only minted in the year of issue (well Sept to Sept).

7. chrissilver

Thanks goldpelican, it's interesting info to know. Now I am thinking that 10 oz coins may be better investments than the 1kg coins. As they only have a slightly smaller premium and can only be minted in a year.

8. chrissilver

And the 1kg kooks they only mint that year? Or they can go back and mint past years?

9. goldpelican

Kooks now close at the end of each year.

10. chrissilver

Thanks goldpelican :)

11. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

1 kilo silver bullion Lunar Rabbits (2011) were selling here in the States recently for about a buck and quarter per ounce over spot by at least one big dealer. These bullions probably won't fetch a high premium for a very long time. On the other hand, the early series 2 proof kilos are marching steadily out of reach for my wallet at this time.

12. Stark

Chrissilver, please don't forget to make picture of 1 kilo coin and 1 oz. beside. :)

13. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

Well picked up the 1 oz snake, 2 oz snake and the 5 oz snake to go with my 10 oz snake,going to have to wait on the 1 kg and well the 10 kg is out of my price range lol.

14. chrissilver

I didn't get any 1oz snakes, I missed out on them :( but if you want I can take a picture of a 1oz Koala compared to a 1kg koala? 1kg koala is different from the other sizes though, it has a complete matte finish, unlike the other sizes that have a gloss finish around the edge.

15. chrissilver

Nice.

I think the 10kg coins are way too costly, premiums are too large on them. Cheaper to get 10x 1kg coins.

16. Stark

I'm sorry to hear that. :/ Yes, please do.:)

17. chrissilver

Ok Stark. I have uploaded some photos to this thread: http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-544401.html#p544401

18. Stark

Thanks! :) You could do it here. ;) But no problemo. :D

19. chrissilver

I didn't want to change the topic of the thread. It is nice to start a new topic for things.

20. MRP

MRP New Member

I think the snake will increase the most, I also thought the Hindenburg wouldn't explode. lol