What type are you?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Dogmatix, May 15, 2012.

1. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

I posted this in another thread, but it was off-topic so thought i'd start my own thread:

The way I see it, there are a few different types of PM buyers:

- the buy and hold who likes lower prices and has strong hands
    - the faux buy and hold who likes to think they will hold on to PMs forever and a day, but would really sell out for fiat if prices merely doubled
    - the trader who likes price to rise and fall so as to derive value between the difference in the high's and low's
    - the hardcore trader who follows all sorts of charting and stuff like that to make dollar profits on spreads and even 'shorting' the market
    - the speculator who likes to buy high and sell low (ok, just kidding, but they tend to buy in a rising market and try to sell at the top of it)
    - the noob (or unfortunate) who puts lots of $$ into PMs and then realises that he needs to buy dinner and has to cash out at today's prices
    - the stocks-trader/investor/speculator who thinks that owning part of the cow is better than owning the milk
    - the collector who just likes PMs because they are pretty ;)
    - the weak hand who doesn't really know what his/her investment strategy is, and gets spooked easily
    - oh, and the sheep who follows the investment direction of someone else without really knowing what they're doing at all
    (edit) - the GSR trader who likes to try and convert between gold and silver based on the GSR in order to maximise total metal over time

I think everyone fits into one or more of those categories.

Personally I like to think i'm a buy and hold. This explains why my investment philosophy constrasts greatly with a trader for example.

Which type are you (or post a new type)?

2. footycard

footycard New Member

i'm a new type.

I think I just do things better then most, i'm here to learn everything I can from your good and most importantly, bad experiences, I want to know the current wheelers & dealers,
    the would be's, the could be's, the larger operations, everything.

Because i'm here to make a difference, in 2-3 years time I will have taken the reigns, you will all be buying my silver and you'll be happy about it, i'm here too change the world of stacking.

so yeah, a new type.

3. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

Not quite sure I understand - you want to take over silver stackers? ;)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_d'état

4. footycard

footycard New Member

pfft... the world my friend, the world.

5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

You been watching too many cartoons footy :cool:

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes: OOOHH i've been trying to take over the world for over 20 years :D
    I even have a team in place ;)
    But do you think any of them could be bothered doing anything ,they'd all rather get drunk instead :lol:
    So now I'm just trying to take over my own lunchbox ;)

:D

7. Fykus

Fykus Member Silver Stacker

Im willing to admit i probably classify as a noob.
    Got a small loan when i learnt about silver and bought in at around 44 dollars and now i have no spare cash, lol. dont plan on selling though.

8. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am bipolar:

I have a buy and hold core stack which I add to using "hardcore"(?) trading profits.

9. Aengrod

Aengrod Member

the greedy accumulator buy more, need more, want more, more more more more

10. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The paranoid prepper - the S is hitting the F and no-one else realises so all spare fiat goes to stack low denomination silver to trade for necessaries at the trading posts that will be set up post apocalypse.

11. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

pinky and the brain; love it

12. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

Totally with you on that :)

13. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

How about the type that is saving to make life better but knows that cash is easily spent. Metal is harder to spend.

14. footycard

footycard New Member

they should put silver stacking pamphlets in addiction centres.
    if you gotta be addicted to something, it may aswell be something of value.
    people with addictive personalities will put most of what they have into it, like pokies, alcohol, drugs, sex, food, hoarding. many of those addictions can be kinda numbed.
    long enough to get over them and that's when stacking should come into their sights.

an addict is never free of addiction, so that's ok, just give them a positive addiction, they'll still spend every cent, not have enough to pay the bills at times, but it's positive,
    it doesn't take long at all to view money in a different light when you stack, I smoke and have cut back 10 a day already simply 'cos I would rather buy silver.
    I don't think i'll ever by new clothes or pay for a haircut again, i'm cutting it myself, $15 haircut or 1/2oz?

so it's like that with addictions and if they can see something else in fiat other then their old addiction,
    that could be enough to never go back to the old addiction.

could someone draw up a pamphlet that i could print up and hand it to people in the pokies place on the corner?
    something with real facts about silver bullion, not too out there, i'll even place them on tables of cafes here, I think the word needs to be spread.

15. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

Does all of the above count??

I collect the Numistics, well some of them anyway because I like them or because they form part of one of my other interests which is paticuarly true for the military and maritime ones.

I have a store of koala's/kooks/bars that I hold on to and add to where I can, occasionaly sell some if I need fiat but then replace it as quickly as possible, I will trade if I think the trade is worth it. Looking at getting more into trading to help build up this base stack of metals. If fiat price shot well above where it is now, I would hedge my bets and sell some, put the FIAT into a high interest savings account and wait for it to fall back, if it does not fall back after a pre-determained length of time, I would simply buy more and learn from the experience (there are no gains without some risk, its all about mitigaing the risk as much as possible)

Longer term, there is a chance that the FIAT will crash (well its really envidable, its just a matter of when, and will it be in my lifetime) and having the stack as a form of currency to trade with, is just another insurance policy

16. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

Why cant I post in the other section? Whats this premium member nonsense? Do I get free drinks or something?

I think I charged Gold Pelican An ounce of silver for my valuable advice which he was to put towards my membership, besides I bought his bloody silver surely I get free membership as a customer. Whats the world coming to?

Im in the market for a few 10 ounce bars/coins/rounds 0f silver(or smaller) if anyone wants to sell some near spot

To keep on topic -Im the numpty stacker. Sell when I need to buy something, buy when I have spare cash.

17. footycard

footycard New Member

I agree there.

Members is what makes a forum, not necessarily the fact that a forum simply exists.
    Forums generally value their members because of it as if there's no-one putting up info ect,
    then there wouldn't be any reason to come here.

There's a forum here called, Preparedness and Sustainable Living, well, that's my thing.
    I have years of sustainable living practiice, it's what I do, most of the daytime i'm in the garden.
    I like talking about my garden, new project I got happening ect, so I think i'd have a bit to offer there.
    but I gotta pay for my time? my wisdom? pffft...

18. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm playing the GSR card at the moment. If silver bounces down to 40~ GSR, then I am going to transfer lots into gold. It's a better wealth store.

19. footycard

footycard New Member

so far that's what the statistics show, but i wouldn't be putting my house on it

20. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

then? when?
    reigns? who reigns at present?
    too? as well as who?
    I don't understand.